Featured
A Task For Nigerian Bar Association
There was a news headline: “SIM Card: ‘DSS Told Me Buhari’s Daughter Ordered My Arrest-Trader,” in The Tide newspaper: Thursday, March 5, 2020 (page 10). The summary is that a trader, Anthony Okolie is suing the President’s daughter, the DSS and company MTN, for N500million over his ordeal, having been detained for 10 weeks.
Anthony Okolie bought an MTN line 09035666662 which turned out to be an old line of the President’s daughter, Hanan. He was arrested for “using a telephone line that once belonged to Hanan.”
Okoli told a Federal High Court in Asaba that upon his arrest, the was informed by DSS Assistant Director of Operational Services, that the President’s daughter, Hasan Buhari, ordered his detention. To have been detained between July 22 and September 23, 2019, arising from the purchase of SIM Card, must be an ordeal for a trader or any other person. Therefore, seeking a redress through a lawsuit is Okolie’s legitimate right. That the suit does not involve the Presidency but a President’s daughter, is understandable.
The Nigerian Bar Association (NBA) is obviously a body of lawyers whose professional ethics and social obligations include upholding justice in the country. The fact that they is a provision for legal aid even for aggrieved persons who cannot afford the fee in pursuit of redress, is a testimony that the NBA is justice-friendly. Defence of the defenceless is a humanitarian duty.
An association of legal practitioners in any country stands as a beacon for purpose of justice. Despite Jonathan Swift’s satirical statement that the law which lawyers know is the art of proving, by words multiplied for the purpose, that white is black and black white, according as they are paid, lawyers are meant to defend justice. Neither must political leanings cause lawyers to pervert justice.
For a country striving to move forward in progress and justice, Nigeria needs the support of all professionals whose activities seek to advance justice and equity. It is obvious that there are individuals and groups whose goals are not advancement of justice and fair-play, but their subversion. Currently, in Nigeria, there are whisperings of a possibility of some law-makers sponsoring a bill to ban public protest. Whatever its justifications, such a bill would not advance justice and fairness.
In the case of Anthony Okolie suing the President’s daughter and other corporate bodies, the Nigerian Bar Association can be supportive in putting what efforts it can to reduce sad abuses of power. There had been sad public reactions to another daughter of the President using Presidential aircraft arbitrarily for a private occasion. State facilities provided and maintained with public taxes should not be used for private purposes without an official authorisation.
Neither must office of a President be used in such a way that can bring disrespect or cause the public to grumble over abuses. We cannot deny the possibility of high public offices being brought to disrepute by some arbitrary actions or decisions of faceless persons. For example, the Nigerian Bar Association may wish to educate Nigerians whether or not the President’s daughter can instruct the DSS to arrest and detain Anthony Okolie, with no ado.
Currently, a group of youths in Kano took arbitrary and violent action against the family members of a musician by setting the family house ablaze. The youths threatened to take the law into their hands if the musician, Yahaya Sharif-Aminu, is not arrested for blasphemy. The anger is that the musician composed a song which was said to contain alleged derogatory comments on the Prophet Muhammad. We would not want to have another Rushdie or Akaluka case.
More importantly, the Nigerian Bar Association would do Nigerian public great service if that body of legal practitioners would show greater concern on police brutality. There is no doubt that law enforcement agencies treat Nigerians like brutes and often get away with such arbitrary acts of brutality. Surely, individual lawyers have been known to rise up in defence of Nigerians abused by security agencies. Quite commendable.
A large number of sympathisers and concerned Nigerians have shown interest in the Ikwunado case as a welcome opportunity to raise strong collective voice against excesses of the police. Anyone perceptive enough would know that there is a growing hospitality towards the police, despite the truth that there are good ones among them. When docile people are pushed to the wall, their reactions would be followed or accompanied by bitterness over past humiliations. Nigerians are becoming more aggressive.
Shenanigans, bravado, and apparent immunity of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) of the United States of America, took a different turn after one Walter Bowart’s interesting book: Operation Mind Control, was published in 1978. Apart from exposing various atrocities and human rights abuses associated with the CIA, Bowart also made public law suits brought against that agency. Since then, there had been out-of-court settlement of aggrieved families of those who died in CIA custody.
Without resortoring to militancy, the Nigerian Bar Association can work in collaboration with various human rights organizations to reduce the excesses of security and law enforcement agencies in Nigeria. To seek redresses in human rights abuses can be quite expensive, but the NBA can at least give some professional advice to victims of reckless abuses of power.
Featured
Fubara Dissolves Rivers Executive Council
Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminialayi Fubara, has dissolved the State Executive Council.
The governor announced the cabinet dissolution yesterday in a statement titled ‘Government Special Announcement’, signed by his new Chief Press Secretary, Onwuka Nzeshi.
Governor Fubara directed all Commissioners and Special Advisers to hand over to the Permanent Secretaries or the most Senior officers in their Ministries with immediate effect.
He thanked the outgoing members of the State Executive Council for their service and wished them the best in their future endeavours.
The three-paragraph special announcement read, “His Excellency, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, GSSRS, Governor of Rivers State, has dissolved the State Executive Council.
“His Excellency, the Governor, has therefore directed all Commissioners and Special Advisers to hand over to the Permanent Secretaries or the most Senior officers in their Ministries with immediate effect.
“His Excellency further expresses his deepest appreciation to the outgoing members of the Executive Council wishing them the best in their future endeavours.”
Featured
INEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) yesterday told the National Assembly that it requires N873.78bn to conduct the 2027 general elections, even as it seeks N171bn to fund its operations in the 2026 fiscal year.
INEC Chairman, Prof Joash Amupitan, made the disclosure while presenting the commission’s 2026 budget proposal and the projected cost for the 2027 general elections before the National Assembly Joint Committee on Electoral Matters in Abuja.
According to Amupitan, the N873.78bn election budget covers the full conduct of national polls in 2027.
An additional N171bn is needed to support INEC’s routine activities in 2026, including bye-elections and off-season elections, the commission stated.
The INEC boss said the proposed election budget does not include a fresh request from the National Youth Service Corps seeking increased allowances for corps members engaged as ad-hoc staff during elections.
He explained that, although the details of specific line items were not exhaustively presented, the almost N1tn election budget is structured across five major components.
“N379.75bn is for operational costs, N92.32bn for administrative costs, N209.21bn for technological costs, N154.91bn for election capital costs and N42.61bn for miscellaneous expenses,” Amupitan said.
The INEC chief noted that the budget was prepared “in line with Section 3(3) of the Electoral Act 2022, which mandates the Commission to prepare its election budget at least one year before the general election.”
On the 2026 fiscal year, Amupitan disclosed that the Ministry of Finance provided an envelope of N140bn, stressing, however, that “INEC is proposing a total expenditure of N171bn.”
The breakdown includes N109bn for personnel costs, N18.7bn for overheads, N42.63bn for election-related activities and N1.4bn for capital expenditure.
He argued that the envelope budgeting system is not suitable for the Commission’s operations, noting that INEC’s activities often require urgent and flexible funding.
Amupitan also identified the lack of a dedicated communications network as a major operational challenge, adding that if the commission develops its own network infrastructure, Nigerians would be in a better position to hold it accountable for any technical glitches.
Speaking at the session, Senator Adams Oshiomhole (APC, Edo North) said external agencies should not dictate the budgeting framework for INEC, given the unique and sensitive nature of its mandate.
He advocated that the envelope budgeting model should be set aside.
He urged the National Assembly to work with INEC’s financial proposal to avoid future instances of possible underfunding.
In the same vein, a member of the House of Representatives from Edo State, Billy Osawaru, called for INEC’s budget to be placed on first-line charge as provided in the Constitution, with funds released in full and on time to enable the Commission to plan early enough for the 2027 general election.
The Joint Committee approved a motion recommending the one-time release of the Commission’s annual budget.
The committee also said it would consider the NYSC’s request for about N32bn to increase allowances for corps members to N125,000 each when engaged for election duties.
The Chairman of the Senate Committee on INEC, Senator Simon Along, assured that the National Assembly would work closely with the Commission to ensure it receives the necessary support for the successful conduct of the 2027 general elections.
Similarly, the Chairman of the House Committee on Electoral Matters, Bayo Balogun, also pledged legislative support, warning INEC to be careful about promises it might be unable to keep.
He recalled that during the 2023 general election, INEC made strong assurances about uploading results to the INEC Result Viewing portal, creating the impression that results could be monitored in real time.
“iREV was not even in the Electoral Act; it was only in INEC regulations. So, be careful how you make promises,” Balogun warned.
The N873.78bn proposed by INEC for next year’s general election is a significant increase from the N313.4bn released to the Commission by the Federal Government for the conduct of the 2023 general election.
Featured
Tinubu Mourns Literary Icon, Biodun Jeyifo
President Bola Tinubu yesterday expressed grief over the death of a former President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities and one of Africa’s foremost literary scholars, Professor Emeritus Biodun Jeyifo.
Jeyifo passed away on Wednesday, drawing tributes from across Nigeria and the global academic community.
In a condolence message to the family, friends, and associates of the late scholar, Tinubu in a statement by his spokesperson, Bayo Onanuga, described Jeyifo as a towering intellectual whose contributions to African literature, postcolonial studies, and cultural theory left an enduring legacy.
He noted that the late professor would be sorely missed for his incisive criticism and masterful interpretations of the works of Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka.
The President also recalled Jeyifo’s leadership of ASUU, praising the temperance, foresight, and wisdom he brought to the union over the years.
Tinubu said Jeyifo played a key role in shaping negotiation frameworks with the government aimed at improving working conditions for university staff and enhancing the learning environment in Nigerian universities.
According to the President, Professor Jeyifo’s longstanding advocacy for academic freedom and social justice will continue to inspire generations.
He added that the late scholar’s influence extended beyond academia into political and cultural journalism, where he served as a mentor to numerous scholars, writers, and activists.
Tinubu condoled with ASUU, the Nigerian Academy of Letters, the Wole Soyinka Centre for Investigative Journalism, the University of Ibadan, Obafemi Awolowo University, Oberlin University, Cornell University, and Harvard University—institutions where Jeyifo studied, taught, or made significant scholarly contributions.
“Nigeria and the global academic community have lost a towering figure and outstanding global citizen,” the President said.
“Professor Biodun Jeyifo was an intellectual giant who dedicated his entire life to knowledge production and the promotion of human dignity. I share a strong personal relationship with him. His contributions to literary and cultural advancement and to society at large will be missed.”
Jeyifo was widely regarded as one of Africa’s most influential literary critics and public intellectuals. Among several honours, he received the prestigious W.E.B. Du Bois Medal in 2019.
-
Sports3 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Environment3 days agoOxfam, partners celebrate 5 years of climate governance programmes in Nigeria
-
Politics3 days ago
ADC, PDP, LP Missing As INEC Set For By- Elections In Rivers
-
Politics3 days ago
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Diri Unveils RHA LG Coordinators, APC Congress Panel
-
Politics3 days agoReps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
-
Politics3 days agoGroup Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
-
Sports3 days ago
Sunderland Overcome Oxford Challenge
