Connect with us

News

Violence Claims 2,300 In Zamfara …As Nasarawa Gas Explosion Death Toll Hits 15

Published

on

The Zamfara State Governor, Abdulaziz Yari has claimed that insecurity in the state has led to the loss of at least 2,300 lives from 2011 till date.
The governor said this while speaking at a special Town Hall meeting on security in Gusau, Zamfara State capital, last Monday.
The meeting was attended by Minister of Information, Lai Mohammed; Minister of Defence, Mansur Dan-Ali and Minister of Water Resources, Suleiman Adamu.
Yari said agricultural activities in the state had suffered a major setback because of insecurity and that over 25,000 cattle had been rustled.
“About 2,300 people have died in the state since 2011. Agriculture has suffered setback as a result of this security problem,” he said.
“In Zamfara, we are all Muslims, I don’t expect a Muslim to kill another [Muslim]. We should know that we are dealing with criminals.
“In 2014, we had only 24 soldiers in the whole of Zamfara State.”
The governor said since he assumed office in 2011, he has been facing security challenges.
“As a governor who has confronted insecurity since the inception of my administration, I have some experience,” he said.
On his part, Mohammed reiterated the spate of killings across the country “have fallen drastically.”
“Let me say straight away that the killings, resulting from farmers-herders clashes, cattle rustling, trans-border crimes and banditry, among others, have fallen drastically,” the minister said.
“Unfortunately, this has not received the kind of media coverage that was given to the killings.
“I appeal to the media to correct this. I have no doubt that the good people of Zamfara can testify to the drastic reduction in the activities of cattle rustlers and other bandits in the state since the Federal Government assembled a 1,000-strong military force, comprising the army, air force, police and the civil defence, to launch fierce attacks on the bandits terrorising the villages and towns of Zamfara State.
“The situation will continue to improve until the violence has stopped.”
Dan-Ali expressed his displeasure at connivance of locals with bandits.
“Most of us are giving information to bandits, please let us change that [narrative] with the security agencies,” the defence minister said.
Meanwhile, No fewer than 15 persons were, yesterday, feared dead with 40 others hospitalised with various degrees of injuries following a gas explosion at Monaco Gas Station situated in the premises of Natson Petroleum Nig. Ltd., in Lafia, the capital of Nasarawa State. Images from the scene of the explosion.
It was gathered that the explosion was caused by gas leakage from one of the reservoirs at the gas station.
According to reports, two motorists, who first noticed the leakage, attempted to flee but collided and went up in flames. About 17 vehicles, including two fuel tankers, motorcycles and three tricycles caught in the inferno, were burnt to ashes, at the hospital when correspondent visited the casualty unit of the Dalhatu Araf Specialist Hospital, DASH, Lafia, it was observed that the hospital was littered with burnt victims of the gas explosion victims, as medical personnel were seen battling to save their lives.
Sympathisers were seen trooping to the hospital for a glance at victims, who were conveyed to the hospital by officials of Federal Road Safety Corps, FRSC, from the scene of the explosion.
It was further gathered that some of the victims were caught up in the inferno while plying the Lafia-Abuja Highway, especially students of the Nasarawa State Polytechnic, Lafia, who were going for lectures.
Al-Makura, who described the incident as “unfortunate”, condoled with the families of those who lost their lives, and assured that government would do its best to ensure that the survivors of the fire outbreak get the best of medical attention.
“Last night, I got a report that six people died as a result of the burns sustained from the incident, but this morning, I was told that three more people had been confirmed dead.
“We were able to transfer 17 victims, who had over 60 per cent burns out of the 37 persons affected to the National Trauma Centre in Abuja, but three among them later died.
“Shortly before I arrived here, another child died while being removed from a pregnant mother, who also suffered severe burns.
“So, at the moment, we have recorded nine deaths as against the large figures being speculated in the media,” Al-Makura said.
He said the remaining 14 casualties currently at the National Trauma Centre were responding to treatment.
“I have directed that all the victims be given the best treatment available and for those in critical condition, requiring to be moved abroad, the Nasarawa State Government will take care of their bills just to ensure they live,” he assured.
The governor called on residents of the state to obtain proper approval before siting their structures anywhere in the state in order to avert a repeat of such ugly occurrence.
“I have called for a meeting with the committee on development control for us to review approvals for siting all businesses that pose danger to the people, especially gas stations.
“We have agreed that existing stations must comply with the safe distance specifications,” he said.
He also said that he had directed the state fire service to cordon-off the area for the next seven days to ensure that it is totally safe for habitation.
“We discovered that gas was still leaking from the tanks and we are making contact with the Department of Petroleum Resources (DPR) and other agencies with the necessary equipment to assist in evacuating gas from the area,” Al-Makura added.
It would be recalled that the Monaco gas station in Lafia was on Monday morning engulfed by fire when the tanker offloading the liquefied gas suddenly went ablaze.
The Chief Fire Officer of the Nasarawa State Fire Service, Mr Dogara Dalhatu, who confirmed the incident, attributed it to a spark around the vicinity where the gas was being discharged.
Dalhatu, however, said the inferno has been put under control by men of the fire service.
He said that about 10 vehicles, five motorcycles and three tricycles were destroyed by the fire.
However, security personnel have diverted the road leading to Monaco Gas Filling Station which went up in flames last Monday in Lafia to avoid another disaster.
Journalists, who visited the scene, yesterday, observed that personnel from various security agencies were on ground to control traffic on the road.
The State Fire Service, Police, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, Federal Road Safety Corps, National Emergency Management Agency were at the scene Images from the scene of the explosion.
The Akwanga/Jos road was sealed from the Secretariat of Peoples Democratic Party to Lafia Township Stadium.
All vehicles coming from the East, Makurdi, Jos, Akwanga, Abuja were diverted from the main road through Government House via Bukan-Sidi.
Dalhatu said the situation was under control.
He said that the road was diverted to ensure that the scene was “very safe before it is reopened’’.
The Public Relations Officer of Dalhatu Araf Specialist Hospital Lafia, Ms Deborah Dangara, confirmed that some of the casualties were transferred to National Hospital, Abuja.
Dangara said that those who were seriously injured were the once transferred for proper medical attention due to inadequate facilities to attend to all of them in the state.

Continue Reading

News

Rivers Govt Hails Anglican Church’s Role In Peace, Development

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has commended the Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) for its outstanding contributions to the development of Rivers State, particularly in the areas of peacebuilding, education, healthcare, and moral development.
Governor of Rivers State, Siminalayi Fubara, stated that the Church has remained a dependable partner in promoting peace, unity, justice, moral discipline, and social harmony across society.
The Governor, who was represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Dagogo Wokoma, made the remarks during the thanksgiving service marking the 30th Anniversary and First Session of the 11th Synod of the Diocese of Niger Delta North, held at St. Peter’s Anglican Church on Sunday.
Governor Fubara described the Synod’s theme, “Kingdom Advancement: The Priority of Every Believer,” as timely and relevant, considering the prevailing realities in society.
According to him, the Church continues to play a vital role in shaping societal values and inspiring hope among citizens.
“The Church remains a vital partner in promoting peace, unity, justice, and moral discipline. Its role in shaping values and inspiring hope cannot be overemphasized,” he stated.
The Governor further acknowledged the Anglican Communion’s contributions in education, healthcare delivery, youth empowerment, humanitarian services, and spiritual guidance across communities in Rivers State.
“The Rivers State Government appreciates the invaluable contributions of the Anglican Communion in education, healthcare, youth development, humanitarian support, and spiritual guidance. Your impact across communities in Rivers State continues to strengthen families and promote peaceful coexistence among our people,” he added.
Governor Fubara reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to building a peaceful, united, and prosperous Rivers State where all citizens can thrive irrespective of religion, ethnicity, or social background.
He also urged the Synod to continue praying for sustainable development and progress in Rivers State and Nigeria at large.
Earlier in his sermon, the Guest Minister, Joseph Olushola, spoke on the topic, “Kingdom Investment and Internal Rewards,” urging Christians to remain faithful stewards of God’s blessings and committed to advancing God’s kingdom through service and generosity.
The cleric emphasized that believers are custodians of the virtues and resources entrusted to them by God, stressing that divine rewards are based on faithfulness and impact rather than material possessions.

Continue Reading

News

Shell, MAN Back Rivers’ Drive For Expanded Gas Supply To Industries

Published

on

The Shell Nigeria Gas Limited, in partnership with the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), has reaffirmed support for efforts to expand gas distribution infrastructure in Rivers State as part of initiatives aimed at improving access to affordable, cleaner and more reliable energy for industries across the South-South region.
The commitment was highlighted during the SNG–MAN Business Forum held in Port Harcourt, where stakeholders from the industrial and public sectors examined the role of natural gas in driving industrialisation, boosting local production and strengthening energy security.
Speaking at the forum on behalf of the Managing Director of Shell Nigeria Gas Limited, the company’s Head of Gas Distribution, Mr. Chukwuka Amos Ejesi, described natural gas as a critical component of Nigeria’s energy mix and a key driver of sustainable industrial growth.
According to him, Nigeria’s gas development agenda has reached a stage where policy direction must be matched with practical implementation capable of addressing the energy challenges confronting manufacturers.
He noted that pipeline gas offers industries a cleaner, more dependable and cost-effective energy alternative capable of supporting uninterrupted operations, reducing emissions and improving production efficiency.
“Gas is the backbone of manufacturing, and we are encouraged by the growing recognition among stakeholders of the need for cleaner and more reliable energy solutions,” he said.
Ejesi stressed the need for sustained collaboration among energy providers, government institutions and industrial stakeholders to maximise the country’s gas resources for economic development.
He added that improved gas infrastructure would strengthen manufacturing value chains, enhance productivity and promote more competitive industrial operations across Rivers State and the wider South-South region.
Participants at the forum also emphasised the importance of expanding energy infrastructure as a pathway to unlocking industrial capacity, reducing operating costs and promoting sustainable industrial development.
Representing Governor Siminalayi Fubara, the Director-General of the Rivers State Investment Promotion Agency, Dr. Chamberlain Peterside, reaffirmed the state government’s commitment to partnering with private sector investors to revitalise industrial activities in the state.
He identified key projects targeted under the initiative to include the revival of the Ahoada Industrial Park, the New Port City project and the proposed Bonny Industrial Park, all aimed at stimulating economic growth and expanding industrial opportunities along the Bonny corridor.
According to the governor, the long-term vision is to position Rivers State as a leading manufacturing hub in Southern Nigeria through strategic public-private partnerships.
Governor Fubara also commended Shell Nigeria Gas and MAN for sustaining engagements geared towards improving industrial energy access, noting that gas infrastructure development remains central to the state’s economic recovery plans.
He further observed that the gas sector presents enormous opportunities for economic growth, especially as global energy systems continue to shift towards cleaner energy sources.
The governor called on stakeholders to work collectively towards developing a practical and sustainable gas framework capable of supporting the state’s industrial and energy development objectives.

By; Kevin Nengia

Continue Reading

News

Odu Charges Newlyweds To Build Marriage On Love

Published

on

Rivers State Deputy Governor, Prof. Ngozi Nma Odu, has charged newlywed couples to build their marriages on the virtues of love and submission as taught in the Word of God.
Prof. Odu gave the charge at the wedding ceremony of Amblessed Favour Sunny-Cookey and Samson Jesuganji at Lifegate Power Ministries, Dominion Cathedral, in Port Harcourt on Saturday, 16th May 2026.
The Deputy Governor congratulated the couple on beginning a new phase of life together and prayed for God’s blessings upon their union, noting that the couple had been raised by godly parents and encouraged them to uphold the Christian values instilled in them.
Referring to the sermon delivered during the ceremony, Prof. Odu emphasized that the principles of love and submission remain fundamental to a successful marriage.
According to her, genuine love reflects the nature of God, stressing that love should remain the foundation of the couple’s relationship as they journey through life together.
Prof. Odu further prayed for enduring peace, happiness, and progress in the home, expressing confidence that the marriage would continue to flourish under God’s guidance.
The Deputy Governor also commended the families of the couple for their support and upbringing, while urging the newlyweds to always remember the significance of the day and the commitment they had made before God and witnesses.
In his sermon at the wedding, the Founder and Presiding Pastor of Salvation Ministries, Pastor David Ibiyeomie, stated that marriage did not originate from Western culture, traditions, or human ideas, but from God, whom he described as the “manufacturer” of marriage.
According to the cleric, couples seeking lasting and peaceful homes must rely on biblical principles rather than societal trends or assumptions.
He explained that many marital crises and rising divorce rates stem from ignorance and failure to apply scriptural teachings in family life.
Drawing from the biblical parable of building a house on a rock, Pastor Ibiyeomie said the Word of God remains the only solid foundation capable of sustaining marriages through challenges and difficult times.
He noted that marriage naturally comes with unexpected realities and pressures, stressing that religious ceremonies or cultural practices alone are not enough to sustain a home without proper understanding of God’s instructions.
The pastor further warned that ignorance of scripture remains one of the greatest weapons against believers, urging Christians to study and practice the Word of God rather than merely attending church services.
It would be recalled that the bride is the daughter of Pastor Sunny Cookey the Founder and Presiding Pastor of Lifegate Ministries. The Ceremony had lots of Ministers in attendance which includes Apostle Zilly Aggrey, Pastor George Izunwa, and Bishop Winston Iwo

Continue Reading

Trending