News
Buhari Extends Medical Trip …Pro-Biafra Protesters Storm London Hospital
President Muhammadu Buhari will not return to Nigeria from London, where he is spending his 10-day medical vacation, until Sunday.
Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo, disclosed this to State House correspondents, yesterday, shortly before the commencement of a meeting of the National Economic Council at the Presidential Villa, Abuja.
Buhari’s 10-day vacation expired on Wednesday.
By the time he would be arriving in Nigeria on Sunday, he would have spent 14 days.
He was earlier scheduled to arrive the country, yesterday.
Osinbajo, however, said it was just appropriate for Buhari to take the weekend off and rest very well in London before returning to the country.
He said he had spoken to the President on the telephone and he was in good health condition.
The Vice-President said Buhari would resume in his office on Monday morning.
Osinbajo said, “the President will be back on Sunday. I spoke with him yesterday evening and I think it is just the best that he takes the weekend off. He will certainly be back on Sunday.
“I think the most straightforward thing is when he will be back. He will be back on Sunday. There is no point rushing back on Friday or something like that.
“He will just take the weekend off and be back on Sunday. He is in perfect health and ready to resume work on Monday morning.
“Mr. President is in good condition, he is fine, he is very well. He should take a day or two off in London and rest a bit and come back hale and hearty on Sunday and be ready for work on Monday. So we expect him back on Sunday.”
The President had so far embarked on vacation two times this year.
He had earlier embarked on a six-day vacation between February 5 and 10.
Like the case of the second vacation, he remained in London throughout the first vacation.
He had earlier granted an interview where he said the doctors he had been consulting since the 1970s are based in London.
Buhari had before leaving the country written to the National Assembly to intimate the federal lawmakers of his vacation.
He had indicated in the letter that Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo would be performing the duties of the President while he would be away.
In another development, Justice Adeniyi Ademola of the Federal High Court, Abuja, yesterday, indefinitely adjourned a suit challenging the academic credentials of President Muhammadu Buhari.
Adeniyi, in his ruling, said that the case was being adjourned indefinitely, following a notice of appeal filed by President Buhari.
It would be recalled that President Buhari had on Wednesday, appealed against a previous ruling of the court dismissing his preliminary objection to the suit filed by Nnamdi Nwokocha-Ahaaiwe, an Abuja-based lawyer.
Nwokocha-Ahaaiwe had in his suit argued that President Buhari was not qualified to run for President because he did not possess the minimum qualification to run for the office.
He is alleging that Buhari did not sit for the Cambridge West African School Certificate (WASC) in 1961.
To, however, argue his case, President Buhari hired 13 senior lawyers led by Wole Olanipekun (SAN).
Others are Lateef O. Fagbemi (SAN), Akin Olujinmi (SAN), Oluwarotimi O. Akeredolu (SAN), Kola Awodein (SAN), Taiwo Osipitan (SAN), Charles Edosomwan (SAN), Emeka Ngige (SAN), Femi Atoyebi (SAN), Femi Falana (SAN), Funke Aboyade (SAN), H.O. Afolabi and 10 other counsels.
Meanwhile, on Monday, June 13, President Buhari looked very healthy in photographs posted on the Web as he played host to Justin Welby, the Archbishop of Canterbury in London.
Welby visited President Buhari in company of Josiah Idowu – Fearov, a Nigerian and Secretary General of the Anglican Communion worldwide.
Meanwhile, members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) in United Kingdom stormed the Royal London Hospital White Chapel, where President Buhari was allegedly expected yesterday.
The Protesters who were holding posters and flags believed that Buhari was still receiving treatment in the hospital.
News
Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.
The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.
He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.
Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.
“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.
“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.
The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.
Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.
He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.
“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”
The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.
The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.
Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
