News
US Pledges N8.4bn For 2015 Polls …Firm To Invest $14bn In Nigeria, Others
The United States Government, yesterday, said it would provide $51million (about N8.4billion) to support credible elections in Nigeria in 2015 and other electoral process in the country in the next five years.
This is contained in the ”Fact Sheet” issued by the White House in Washington DC, which highlighted US support for democratic institutions, good governance and human rights in Africa.
The Tide learnt that the publication was released just as the US-Africa Leaders Summit being attended by 50 leaders from the continent, including President Goodluck Jonathan, began in Washington DC.
The publication stated that the US was working with other donors to support Nigeria’s electoral management bodies and strengthen the ability of the country’s civil society to promote electoral reforms.
According to it, part of the funds will be used to expand voter education and monitor electoral processes in the run-up to the 2015 elections.
The US Government also announced that it had launched “Making All Voices Count,” a programme aimed at supporting innovation and research that would empower citizens in some countries to engage with government.
“The project is being executed in partnership with other governments and private foundations.
“The partnership with the United Kingdom, Sweden, the Omidyar Network, and the Open Society Foundations, is providing $55million globally in support and in capacity building from 2013 through 2017,” it stated.
It said that the first round of grants on the programme, totalling $2.5million had been announced and would benefit African countries, including Nigeria, South Africa, Liberia and Ghana.
Meanwhile, some United States companies are planning $14billion worth of investments in Africa, a White House official said yesterday as the US-Africa Leaders Summit turned its focus to boosting commercial ties.
President Barack Obama is to announce the investment projects later in the day as he addresses some 45 heads of state and government from the African continent invited to Washington for the historic gathering.
The first day of the summit, the largest such meeting ever held in the US capital, saw American officials chiding their guests over democratic reform and civil rights.
But now Obama and titans of US commerce and industry will try to convince their counterparts that America is as determined to take part in Africa’s growth story as China or Europe.
Hundreds of US and African business chiefs will join the political leaders in forums, including the top executives of General Electric, Coca-Cola and Walmart, and African tycoons such as Aliko Dangote, Mo Ibrahim and Ashish Thakkar, the young founder of the tech-focused Mara Group.
Secretary of State John Kerry was straightforward about Washington’s aims, saying “I say unabashedly: We want and we will work hard to get more American companies to invest in Africa.”
Kerry said Monday, that “We also want more African companies to invest here in the United States, and there’s no reason that they shouldn’t.”
Amid African criticism that American businesses are less knowledgeable and more afraid of risks on the continent than European and Asian rivals, Commerce Secretary Penny Pritzker said the US government would boost efforts to build commercial ties.
“The time to do business in Africa is no longer five years away. The time to do business is now.”
Pritzker stressed that building trade and investments with Africa would be good for both sides, helping African countries develop and creating jobs in the United States.
“As Africa’s middle class continues to expand, we hope to see our export numbers grow,” she said.
The United States remains the largest source of investment on the continent, but most of that has been in the oil and gas sector.
However, China and Europe have built stronger positions in infrastructure, manufacturing and trade, with China’s trade with Africa more than double that of the United States.
A White House official said the new investments being announced will span a range of industries, including construction, clean energy, banking and information technology.
Stephen Hayes of the Corporate Council on Africa, a US business group, said Tuesday’s private sector meetings could get US companies more interested in the continent.
“From the standpoint of the US, we need CEOs to be more engaged,” he said.
“For America to be able to compete for the long term, with China and others, they are going to require partnerships.”
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
News
Four To Face Death Penalty Over DPO Angbashim’s Murder
A Rivers State High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has convicted and sentenced four persons to death by hanging over the gruesome killing of the former Divisional Police Officer of Ahoada East Police Division, SP Bako Angbashim.
The presiding Judge, Justice Sika Aprioku, in a landmark judgment, last Thursday, found the quartet guilty of conspiracy, murder, membership of a secret cult group and robbery, saying the prosecution proved its case beyond reasonable doubt.
Those sentenced to death by hanging are Robinson Sonabari, identified as a native doctor; Bright Okparawo; Precious Amaeze, popularly known as Selina; and Loveday Jack, also known as Ragged Excess. The court ordered that they be hanged by the neck until they are confirmed dead.
Justice Aprioku also convicted the sixth defendant, Samuel Nwadinma, and sentenced him to three years imprisonment for conspiracy.
The third accused person was, however, discharged and acquitted of the four-count charge.
In the same vein, the court discharged Famous Okechukwu, Samuel Uchendu, Oyekachi Ikonwa, Godbless Nnamdi and Marshall Daniel, who were earlier found guilty of membership of a secret cult group, on the grounds that they had already served the maximum terms prescribed by law in the correctional facility.
The court held that among those convicted was the native doctor who allegedly prepared the charm used in the killing of the late DPO.
Speaking with newsmen shortly after the judgment, the lead prosecution counsel from the Rivers State Ministry of Justice, Chigozie Amadi, alongside a representative of the police legal team, Celestine Dickson, commended the judiciary for ensuring that justice was served.
Dickson, who represented the Nigeria Police Force in the joint prosecution, expressed concern that officers saddled with the responsibility of protecting lives and property had increasingly become targets of criminal elements.
He, however, expressed optimism that the judgment would serve as a strong deterrent to would-be offenders.
Also reacting, the elder brother of the late DPO, Akasco Angbashim, who travelled from Nasarawa State to witness the judgment, said the verdict had healed a long-standing wound inflicted on the family since the brutal murder of their brother.
He commended the judiciary, the Rivers State Government and the police for their commitment to justice, stressing that the judgment sends a clear message that no individual has the right to unlawfully take another person’s life.
The four convicts were among 72 persons initially arraigned before the State High Court by a joint prosecution team comprising the Department of Public Prosecutions and the Rivers State Police Command over the murder.
During the trial, 61 accused persons, including the Eze Ekpeye Logbo, Eze Kelvin Anugwo, and a former Ahoada East Council Chairman, Cassidy Ikegbidi, were discharged and acquitted for lack of evidence, leaving 13 defendants to face judgment.
SP Angbashim was gruesomely murdered on September 8, 2023, during a police operation in Odemude community, Ahoada East Local Government Area.
His killing sparked tension in the area, prompting a joint security operation that led to the death of the suspected cult leader, David Okparanwo, popularly known as 2Baba.
By: King Onunwor
-
Politics3 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports3 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business3 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Sports3 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
Featured3 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
News3 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Sports3 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports3 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
