Connect with us

Politics

Govt Explains Power Outage In Rivers

Published

on

Last week, the Rivers State Government got the approval of the
state House of Assembly for an old loan sought by the government for the provision of potable water to the state.
Commissioner for Information and Communication, Mrs. Ibim Semenitari clarified the position of the state government over the loan which had suffered delay by the federal government for over a year.
She said, “Everything else was done but for reasons unknown to the Rivers State Government, the responsible officers in the Ministry of Finance failed to sign off the release of funds thereby delaying the Rivers State Government robust sector’s complete overhaul and rejuvenation, therefore denying the people the people of the state access to good water.
“Not willing to give up, the Rivers State Government continued to push and the scheme with the loan was again approved in the 2014 budget. Now, the Federal Government has finally signed off for this fund to be drawn down for work to start, but due process required that the Rivers State House of Assembly endorsed it once more. This is what necessitated the representation of the old loan to the House”.
Also within the week, the Chief of Staff Government House, Sir Tony Okocha inaugurated the Elders Council in the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area with the charge to woo more members into the swelling opposition party in the country.
Sir Okocha also explained the rationale behind the new N44 billion water loan from the World Bank and African Development Bank by the Rivers State Government, saying the loan has been misrepresented by the opposition, even when the state government meant well for the state.
Last week Friday, Commissioner for Local Government Affairs in the state, Samuel Eyiba spoke to newsmen over the delayed local government council fund that has led to non-payment of salaries to council staffers in the state.
Mr. Eyiba had commenced tour of local government areas as part of the ministry’s function to oversee activities of councils in the state.
Last weekend, he visited Okrika Local Government Area and expressed satisfaction over what he saw. He later said, “these visits are not to fight them, but how to help them to focus where we see gaps and challenges and advise them rightly”.
On the council’s delayed fund, he explained that the development was as a result of a court’s judgement obtained by one Linear Consult who claimed to be agents of 19 local councils in the state that obtained Paris Club loans.
Eyiba explained that because of the court’s judgement and subsequent directive by the Accountant-General of the Federation (AGF) to deduct the loans from last month’s allocation, there was delay in salary payment. He however, disclosed that the matter had been settled and assured that such delay would not happen again.
The Commissioner’s clarification on the council fund was coming on the heels of an earlier explanation by CTC chairman of Oyigbo Council, Hon. David Onyegorom who dismissed claims in some quarters that the situation was as a result of manhunt by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on some council senior officials.
According to Onyegorom, EFCC is not after any local government official, but rather there has been disagreement over the payment of loans by councils over money lent to ex-chairmen by Paris Club.
On weekend, Commissioner for Information and Communications, Mrs. Ibim Semenitari, spoke to Government House correspondents on the current power outage problems faced in the state, blaming vandals along the Omoku axis for the problem.
Mrs. Semenitari stated that in order to address the problem, the state government has started replacing the stolen cables which made the state to lose about 150 megawatts of electricity from the Omoku Gas Power Station. She revealed that already the Transmission Company of Nigeria, (TCN) has begun repairs and replacement of stolen power trunk limes.
“The fact of the matter is TCN is reconducting lines between Oginigba and Nzimiro which affects parts of old Port Harcourt township”, she said .
In order to avert such incidents in the future, she appealed to communities habouring electric wire lines to set up vigilantes that will help protect such sensitive facilities.

Continue Reading

Politics

FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain

Published

on

A senator who represented Taraba Central, Mr Abubakar Yusuf, has declared that the economic policies of President Bola Tinubu are not yielding the expected results.
His comment is one of the strongest internal critiques yet from within the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
The comment underscores the growing dissatisfaction within sections of the ruling party over the direction and impact of the administration’s economic reforms amid rising living costs and fiscal pressures across the country.
Mr Yusuf, who served in the Senate between 2015 and 2023 under the platform of the APC, made the remarks during an appearance on national television.
Responding to a question on whether the administration’s economic direction, often referred to as Tinubunomics, was working, Mr Yusuf answered in the contrary.
“For me, it is not working. I am a member of the APC. I would be the last person to hide the facts”, he said.
He said while the government might be operating diligently within its policy structure, the framework itself is ill-suited to Nigeria’s current realities
“Within the policy framework, yes, they are doing their best, but it is not the framework that is suitable for Nigeria at the point in time that President Asiwaju came into power,” he said.
Mr Yusuf criticised the immediate removal of fuel subsidy on the day the president was sworn in, arguing that the decision lacked sufficient consultation and planning.
“I am one of those who say President Asiwaju ought to have waited. Not on the day he was sworn in to say subsidy is gone. On what basis?”, he asked.
He urged broader engagement before major fiscal decisions are taken.
“Sit down with your cabinet, sit down with your ministers, sit down with your advisers,” he said, dismissing the argument that subsidy removal was justified solely on grounds of corruption.
The former lawmaker identified “structural flaws” in the country’s budgeting system, particularly the envelope budgeting model.
“One of the basic problems is that before you budget, you should have a plan. The envelope system we have been operating has been you budget before you plan. That has been a major issue”, he said.
He argued that allocating spending ceilings without aligning them to concrete development strategies inevitably weakens implementation and delivery.
“If you give me an envelope which is contrary to my plan, whether it is plus or minus, there is no way I am going to implement my plan. It is bound to fail,” he said.
Mr Yusuf called for the scrapping of the envelope budgeting system, noting that he had consistently opposed it even during his years in the National Assembly.
“It is not good for us. It is not going to work well for us,” he said.
He further blamed poor capital releases and persistent deficit financing for undermining budget performance over the years.
“We could not meet 60 percent of our capital budget in all these years. No releases. If you make a budget and the release is very poor, there is no way the budget will be executed”, he stated.
According to him, weak fund disbursement mechanisms and reliance on deficit financing have entrenched a cycle of underperformance.
“Our budget ought to have been a surplus budget, but all our budgets have always been deficit financing budgets,” Mr Yusuf added.

Continue Reading

Politics

Reps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable

Published

on

The Nigerian House of Representatives has resolved to reconvene for an emergency session tomorrow February 17, 2026, to deliberate on issues arising from the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) release of the timetable for the 2027 general elections.
The decision was disclosed in a statement issued by the House Spokesman, Rep. Akin Rotimi, who described the electoral body’s announcement as one of “constitutional and national significance.”
INEC had fixed February 20, 2027, for the Presidential and National Assembly elections.
According to the statement, members of the Green Chamber were notified of the emergency sitting through an internal memorandum from the Speaker’s office.
The session is expected to focus on legislative matters connected to the newly released timetable, reflecting the House’s resolve to act promptly on issues affecting the nation’s democratic process.
Rep. Rotimi noted that all related businesses would be treated with urgency and urged lawmakers to prioritise attendance in view of the importance of the deliberations.
INEC had on Friday formally unveiled the comprehensive schedule for the 2027 polls, including timelines for party primaries slated for July to September 2026, as well as the commencement of Continuous Voter Registration in April 2026.
The development comes amid ongoing consultations and proposed amendments to the Electoral Act ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Continue Reading

Politics

Group Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission

Published

on

As the controversy over the transmission of election results continues across the country, the Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), a pro democracy organisation in the country, has criticised the National Assembly for not giving express approval to real time transmission of elections results.
To this end, the group is calling on all civil society organisations in the country to mobilise and push for a better Electoral Reform in the country.
This was contained in a press statement titled, “Defence For Human Rights and Democracy Demands Real Time Election Transmission of Result”, a copy of which was made available to newsmen in Port Harcourt.
The group described the refusal of compulsory real time transmission of result results by the Senate as undemocratic, adding that the situation will give room for election manipulation, rigging and voters apathy.
It said that the provision of mandatory real time transmission of election results would have significant improvement on the nation’s democracy.
According to the statement, “Since the return of democracy in 1999 to date, it is 27 years, so our Democracy has metamorphosed from being nascent and as such significant improvement should have been recorded.
“Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is really disappointed at the National Assembly, especially the upper chamber (Senate) for not approving ‘Real Time Electronic Transmission of Election Result’.
“This undemocratic act of theirs, if not tamed, will give room for election manipulation and rigging’”.
Signed by Comrade Clifford Christopher Solomon on behalf of the organisation, the statement further said, “The Defence For Human Rights and Democracy unequivocally supports real time transmission of election result”, stressing that his group will resist any act by the National Assembly to undermine the nation’s democracy.
“DHRD,unequivocally supports ‘True Democracy’, which is Government of the people, by the people and for the people.
“Therefore, anything that will crash the hope of Nigerians to Freely, Fairly and Transparently elect candidates of their choice in any given election should and will be vehemently resisted because good governance begins with leaders elected through credible process. By so doing, leaders have entered a social contract with the citizens to equitably manage their affairs and abundant resources”, the statement added.
It urged the National Assembly to revisit the issue in order to avoid civil unrest.
According to the DHRD, “To avoid civil unrest,voters apathy, election rigging and manipulation, rather to promote citizens participation, advancing our Democracy and entrenching free, fair, credible and acceptable electoral outcome, the National Assembly should amend the electoral act in a manner that will deepen our democracy and boost citizens confidence.
“On this note, The Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is calling on all other civil society organisations (CSOs) to mobilise, organise and push for a better electoral act amendment by the National Assembly”.

By: John Bibor

Continue Reading

Trending