News
FG Seeks Extension Of Emergency Rule In Three States
President Goodluck Jonathan has ignored northern leaders who told him not to extend the emergency rule in the three north-eastern states of Borno, Yobe and Adamawa, arguing that it has not solved the problem of insecurity in the region.
In a letter to the Senate, President Jonathan urged it to approve the extension of emergency rule in the three states by six months.
He informed the upper parliament that even though the security situation in the region has improved, there is still much to be done to end the security challenges in the affected states.
The letter was read on the floor of the Senate by Deputy Senate President, Ike Enweremadu, who presided over plenary in the absence of Senate President, David Mark.
Jonathan said the request for extension of the emergency became necessary due to the persistent and deadly attacks unleashed in the three affected states by the Boko Haram terrorist group resulting in huge casualty.
He said the request was in line with the provisions of the Section 305 (6) (c) of the 1999 Constitution, as amended.
“By virtue of the provisions of Section 305 (6) (c) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the proclamation aforementioned would have elapsed after six months from the date of approval of the National Assembly.
“However, while substantial progress had been made to contain the situation and restore normalcy in the affected states, the security situation that necessitated the proclamation of a state of emergency was yet to abate.
“The security situation in the three States remains daunting, albeit to varying degrees, in the face of persistent attacks by members of the Boko Haram sect on civilian and military targets with alarming casualty rates.
“In view of the forgoing, I most respectfully request Distinguished Senators to consider and approve by resolution, the extension of the Proclamation of the State of Emergency in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe States by a further term of six months from the date of expiration of the current term,” Jonathan stated.
It would be recalled that the Senate upon consideration of the security realities in the three states, had in November 2013 approved a six-month extension of the emergency rule after the expiration of the first term.
The current term of the emergency rule in the three States is expected to expire on May 19, 2014
Similarly, the House of Representatives will today debate President Goodluck Jonathan’s request for extension of the state of emergency in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa states, the Speaker, Alhaji Aminu Tambuwal, has said.
Tambuwal stated this at plenary yesterday in Abuja when he read the President’s letter of request.
Jonathan, relying on the provisions of Section 305(6) (c) of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), said in spite of the pending emergency rule, “the security situation in the three states remained daunting’’.
“Honourable members, the security situation in the three states remains daunting albeit to varying degrees in the face of persistent attacks by members of the Boko Haram sect on civilian and military targets with alarming casualty rates,” the letter read.
Jonathan urged the lawmakers to consider and approve by resolution, the extension of the proclamation of the state of emergency in the affected states by a further term of six months from the date of expiration of the current term.
It would be recalled that Jonathan had proclaimed a state of emergency in the three states on May 14, 2013, following onslaughts by members of the Boko Haram sect.
The emergency rule was extended for another six months, beginning from November 12, 2013 after same was approved by the National Assembly.
News
Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.
The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.
He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.
Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.
“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.
“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.
The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.
Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.
He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.
“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”
The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.
The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.
Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports1 day ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Sports4 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business4 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured4 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports4 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
Sports4 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports4 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’

