Connect with us

News

Power Supply Worsens Nationwide

Published

on

L-R: President, PHCCIMA, Engr Emeka Unachukwu, former President, PHCCIMA, Sir Godfrey Ohuobunwa and former President, FOSSCCIMA, Prince Billy Gillis Harry, during the council meeting of PHCCIMA, recently.

L-R: President, PHCCIMA, Engr Emeka Unachukwu, former President, PHCCIMA, Sir Godfrey Ohuobunwa and former President, FOSSCCIMA, Prince Billy Gillis Harry, during the council meeting of PHCCIMA, recently.

Power supply to states across the federation worsened in the month of March, a survey released yesterday by NOI Polls, a notable indigenous survey organisation, has revealed.
This is coming as investors in the country’s power assets attributed their poor performance during the period to gas supply constraints as a result of incessant gas pipeline vandalism perpetuated by miscreants.
The poll results revealed that the situation of power nationwide worsened in March, and stated that majority of Nigerians, 54 per cent, claimed that power had gone bad or worsened.
It said another 17 per cent revealed that they saw no difference at all, bringing the figure to a total of 71 per cent.
It said, “This month shows an all-time low rating of power, 29 per cent for those who experienced an improvement, over the 15-month period that NOI Polls has tracked improvements in household power supply nationwide.
“These are some of the key findings from the Governance Snap Poll conducted on March 24, 2014.”
It noted that the survey was conducted by NOI Polls to gauge the opinions and perceptions of Nigerians regarding the approval rating of President Goodluck Jonathan, the performance of the president on key elements of his transformation agenda, and the state of power supply in the country.
It added, “Further findings across the geo-political zones indicate that the highest proportion of respondents that reported bad/worsened power supply was from the South-West region with 66 per cent of respondents, followed by the South-South region with 59 per cent and the North East region with 58 per cent.
“Highest proportion that reported no difference at all was the North Central, 29 per cent, and those who saw slight improvements were the North-West, 28 per cent, and South-East, 30 per cent.”
When contacted to comment on why power supply had worsened despite the fact that the sector had been privatised, Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer, Geregu Power Plc, Mr. Adeyemi Adenuga, told our correspondent that the situation was beyond privatising the sector.
He said, “Poor power supply is largely due to pipeline vandalism. As far as our gas pipelines are being vandalised by miscreants, the problem may continue.
“We are all in Nigeria and I think this issue is something outside the issue of privatisation. It is not today that it started and it has been felt by the Nigerian Gas Company and some other companies as well.”
Adenuga said until oil theft is addressed, gas pipeline vandalism may persist, as both had things in common.
He added, “The day they get the solution to oil theft, I think there will be solution to gas pipeline vandalism. However, there is no cause for alarm because they are working hard to address this issue.”
The Chairman, Presidential Task Force on Power, Mr. Beks Dagogo-Jack, corroborated Adenuga’s views, and added that the Federal Government was working hard to address the situation.
“This prompted the approval of $1billion by the president to address these issues of vandalism and theft,” he said.
Meanwhile, the Federal Government has concluded plans to rehabilitate about thirty dams to boost power supply in the country.
The dams, recommended by the Ministry of Water Resources, are expected to generate additional 147.60 megawatts to the existing power source.
Minister of Water Resources, Mrs. Sarah Ochekpe, who made the disclosure in Abuja during a media briefing, said access to electricity is put at 40 per cent.
The minister, who was represented by Director, Dams and Reservoir Operations in the ministry, Dr Emmanuel Adanu, explained that while constructing dams in the past and recently for water supply and irrigation, it constituted small hydro power plants in the construction processes.
According to her, the ministry has partnered the energy sector to conduct studies on the proposed dams and engineering designs of the small hydro power schemes accompanying each of them.
She said this was to serve project activities and generate electricity to rural communities, adding that the supply of water and energy are important to achieving sustainable national development.
“In Nigeria, statistics have shown that shown that only forty per cent of the people have access to electricity, 60 per cent of the population has access to safe drinking water while access to sanitation is put at 41 per cent.
“As part of integrated river basin development, the ministry and some RBDAs while constructing dams in the 19802 s and recently for water supply and irrigation incorporated small hydro power plants to generate electricity to serve the project activities and the host of rural communities.
“Based on the collaboration between the water and energy sectors, Federal Ministry of Power conducted the feasibility studies and engineering design of some of the small hydro power schemes mentioned above for rehabilitation and concession to boost electricity supply in Nigeria.
“No nation can develop without adequate supply of water and energy. Demand for water will continue to increase significantly over the coming decades. The need for increased collaboration and cooperation between the agencies and stakeholders in the water and energy sectors cannot be over-emphasized,” she said.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

News

Four To Face Death Penalty Over DPO Angbashim’s Murder

Published

on

A Rivers State High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has convicted and sentenced four persons to death by hanging over the gruesome killing of the former Divisional Police Officer of Ahoada East Police Division, SP Bako Angbashim.

The presiding Judge, Justice Sika Aprioku, in a landmark judgment, last Thursday, found the quartet guilty of conspiracy, murder, membership of a secret cult group and robbery, saying the prosecution proved its case beyond reasonable doubt.

Those sentenced to death by hanging are Robinson Sonabari, identified as a native doctor; Bright Okparawo; Precious Amaeze, popularly known as Selina; and Loveday Jack, also known as Ragged Excess. The court ordered that they be hanged by the neck until they are confirmed dead.

Justice Aprioku also convicted the sixth defendant, Samuel Nwadinma, and sentenced him to three years imprisonment for conspiracy.

The third accused person was, however, discharged and acquitted of the four-count charge.

In the same vein, the court discharged Famous Okechukwu, Samuel Uchendu, Oyekachi Ikonwa, Godbless Nnamdi and Marshall Daniel, who were earlier found guilty of membership of a secret cult group, on the grounds that they had already served the maximum terms prescribed by law in the correctional facility.

The court held that among those convicted was the native doctor who allegedly prepared the charm used in the killing of the late DPO.

Speaking with newsmen shortly after the judgment, the lead prosecution counsel from the Rivers State Ministry of Justice, Chigozie Amadi, alongside a representative of the police legal team, Celestine Dickson, commended the judiciary for ensuring that justice was served.

Dickson, who represented the Nigeria Police Force in the joint prosecution, expressed concern that officers saddled with the responsibility of protecting lives and property had increasingly become targets of criminal elements.

He, however, expressed optimism that the judgment would serve as a strong deterrent to would-be offenders.

Also reacting, the elder brother of the late DPO, Akasco Angbashim, who travelled from Nasarawa State to witness the judgment, said the verdict had healed a long-standing wound inflicted on the family since the brutal murder of their brother.

He commended the judiciary, the Rivers State Government and the police for their commitment to justice, stressing that the judgment sends a clear message that no individual has the right to unlawfully take another person’s life.

The four convicts were among 72 persons initially arraigned before the State High Court by a joint prosecution team comprising the Department of Public Prosecutions and the Rivers State Police Command over the murder.

During the trial, 61 accused persons, including the Eze Ekpeye Logbo, Eze Kelvin Anugwo, and a former Ahoada East Council Chairman, Cassidy Ikegbidi, were discharged and acquitted for lack of evidence, leaving 13 defendants to face judgment.

SP Angbashim was gruesomely murdered on September 8, 2023, during a police operation in Odemude community, Ahoada East Local Government Area.

His killing sparked tension in the area, prompting a joint security operation that led to the death of the suspected cult leader, David Okparanwo, popularly known as 2Baba.

By: King Onunwor

 

Continue Reading

Trending