News
JTF,Police Close In On Boko Haram
The Joint Security Task Force in Kano yesterday said one person died during an operation at a hide-out of suspected Boko Haram members.
The hide-out was at Bubbbugaje in the Kumbotso Local Government Area of Kano State.
Commander of 3rd Brigade of the Nigerian Army, Kano, Brig.-Gen. Iliyasu Abbah who disclosed this while conducting journalists round the house, said the operation started around 4 a.m yesterday.
He said the task force had stormed the location following a tip-off.
Abbah said one suspect was shot dead during the operation while another escaped during an exchange of fire between the suspects and the JTF operatives.
“Our men were able to safely and professionally rescue three women and some children during the operation.
“You know this is the most difficult fight, especially when you are dealing with terrorists, because they know us but we don’t know them,” he said.
The Brigade Commander said items recovered inside the house included 485 rounds of 7.62 mm special, nine rounds of 5.56 mm and seven SIM cards and modems.
Other items recovered were five high explosives, one AK47, 35 knives, 35 IEDs, two laptops, five jerry cans, a bank teller containing N150, 000, among others.
He urged members of the public to continue to co-operate with security operatives in order to rid the state of such terrorists.
Abbah said the Nigerian Army would also continue to do its best in order to ensure that peace returns to the state.
Our correspondent reports that a woman, who claimed to be from Cameroon, was also identified by the JTF as one of the women rescued from an operation in Kano metropolis.
The house was later demolished by a bulldozer.
Meanwhile, acting Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Abubakar has dismissed insinuations that the Nigeria police was losing the war against terrorists.
Mohammed, who spoke to State House correspondents after Monday’s attack at the Taraba State Ministry of Finance, said the police had intensified efforts toward checking the activities of terror groups across the country.
Terrorists threw explosives at the motorcade of the Commissioner of Police in Taraba, Mamman Sule, while he was going through the ministry to his own office.
Mohammed refuted the claim that the Taraba attack was targeted at Sule, saying that arrests had been made in connection with the attack.
The explosion in Jalingo was said to have claimed the lives of 11 civil servants at the premises of the Ministry of Finance.
Earlier, President Goodluck Jonathan had urged Nigerians and foreigners resident in the country not to be discouraged by the recent upsurge in terrorist attacks in parts of the country.
Jonathan made the appeal in a statement issued in Abuja on Monday by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Dr Reuben Abati.
The President said Nigerians must go about their normal business and resolve to collectively defeat those perpetrating evil in the country.
He condemned the upsurge in terrorist attacks, the latest of which occurred in Jalingo on Monday, saying the administration would not waver in its commitment to restore peace and stability in the country.
Jonathan assured that the government would curb terrorism and bring the perpetrators and sponsors to justice.
The President also reassured Nigerians and foreigners resident in the country that the administration was taking every necessary action to end the attacks.
He noted that the success in the war against terrorism would be speedily achieved with greater support and assistance from affected communities.
Jonathan called on all patriotic Nigerians to promptly report all suspicious persons to security agencies.
He condoled with the families of the victims of the bomb attacks in Jalingo and wished the injured speedy recovery.
News
Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.
The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.
He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.
Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.
“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.
“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.
The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.
Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.
He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.
“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”
The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.
The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.
Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
-
Sports3 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Politics3 days ago
ADC, PDP, LP Missing As INEC Set For By- Elections In Rivers
-
Environment3 days agoOxfam, partners celebrate 5 years of climate governance programmes in Nigeria
-
Politics3 days ago
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Diri Unveils RHA LG Coordinators, APC Congress Panel
-
Politics3 days agoReps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
-
Politics3 days agoGroup Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
-
Sports3 days ago
Sunderland Overcome Oxford Challenge
