Connect with us

News

Telecoms Consumers May Pay Less Tariff In 2011

Published

on

Consumers of telecommunications services in the country may enjoy lower call rates from 2011 going by the tariff war that started among operators in 2010.

The crash in call rates started barely two weeks after Bharti Airtel acquired former Zain and started re-branding the company.

Bharti Airtel, which took over mobile telephone operations in 15 African countries in a deal that has made it the world’s fifth-biggest mobile company with 180 million customers in 18 countries, has never hidden its plan to reduce tariffs in Nigeria.

Its Chairman, Mr Sunil Bharti Mittal, flaunted his company’s low-tariff strategy while unveiling the brand identity in Nigeria, said that it would give other network operators a good fight to have a good share of Nigeria’s telecoms market.

Just days after Mittal threw the gauntlet, Airtel crashed its call rates to as low as N9 per minute from the industry average rates of N35 to N42 per minute.

This price reduction strategy jolted the industry and elicited swift responses from other network operators.

Other operators have now initiated a number of value added propositions and tariff packages to sustain revenue and retain subscribers.

Etisalat had earlier slashed its call rates by 50 per cent from a peak of 50k per second to 25k in its Easylife offer which has a daily access charge of N20.

Mr Steve Evans, Chief Operating Officer of Etisalat Nigeria, said that the company was unperturbed by Airtel’s low- tariff strategy.

Evans said that his network was one of the best in Nigeria and its tariffs were competitive.

MTN Nigeria has also introduced new tariff packages: MTN Funlink, Smartlink, Prolink, Bizlink and Happilink that allow customers to enjoy more air time at highly reduced costs to customers across its market segments.

Mrs Funmi Omogbenigun, General Manager (Corporate Communications) in MTN Nigeria, said the telecommunications industry in Nigeria was one of the most competitive in the world.

She said that the drive to provide value to the customer was an important consideration for players in the industry.

According to Omogbenigun, reducing tariffs by any operator is not something that is new in the telecoms market.

Globacom had similarly inaugurated a package in Port Harcourt that enables telecoms subscribers to pay 25k per second for all calls to any network in the country without any rental or access fee.

Mr Lanre Ajayi, President of Nigerian Internet Group (NIG), said he saw no link between tariff reduction and halting investment, adding that Airtel’s action would stimulate expansion of networks rather than diminish investments in the sector.

“On the other hand, it will call for further investment because when you reduce tariffs, you are asking more people to make more calls and when that happens, traffic increases.

“When traffic increases, it requires expanded network. It’s just logical that when an operator is planning to attract more traffic to its network, it’s planning to expand its network,” Ajayi said.

According to him, price war is part of competition and “when you are going to war, you use all tools at your disposals and price war just happens to be one of the weapons in competition”.

 Ajayi said that the ensuing price war in the sector was not unexpected.

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending