Niger Delta
Oborevwori’s Legacy Projects Already Manifesting In Delta – Commissioner
Delta State Commissioner for Works (Highways and Urban Roads), Comrade Reuben Izeze, has xommended the State Governor, Rt. Hon. Sheriff Oborevwori, over his numerous legacy infrastructural projects already manifesting across the state.
Giving the commendation during the inspection of Edo Road, off Ughelli-Asaba Expressway, Ughelli, midweek, Izeze said the project was one of the new roads conceived by the Oborevwori’s administration to decongest traffic at the busy Otowodo junction in Ughelli.
He expressed delight with the quality of work done by the contractor, adding that over the years Obakpor Engineering Limited had developed to become a reference point for indigenous engineering firms in the state.
According to him, “this is the third time we are coming to inspect this project and I must say, the quality of the finishing that has been done on the rigid pavement so far is actually very, very good.
“I love the aesthetics of what I have seen, considering the fact that I was here earlier on when the reinforcements were being laid.
“I can affirm that the reinforcements were to specification as provided in the Bill of Engineering Measurement and of course, are also in tandem with what was provided in the Bill of Quantities.
“Let me use this opportunity to thank His Excellency, the unusual governor of the state, the Omorotomo of the Urhobo nation, Rt. Hon. Sheriff Oborevwori for using Obakpor Engineering as a point of reference.
“This is a point of reference to our indigenous contractors and to now tell them they can come to Obakpor Engineering to come and understudy how they have been able to migrate from the ‘cut and nail’ firm that was alleged in the past to this quality professional engineering firm that is leaving aesthetics and, of course, structures of this quality.
“We thank the people of Ughelli, particularly our very energetic youths for the cooperation that they have shown to the Oborevwori’s administration thus far, particularly with respect to the roads that are under the supervision of the Department of Highways and Urban Roads and the Delta State Ministry of Works.
“We thank them for the peace that has been enjoyed in the course of this project and we ask our people to continually show patience understanding and support for the Oborevwori’s administration as we walk towards delivering the MORE Agenda covenanted by the Governor”.
Representative of the contracting firm, Mr. Oghenero Oguma, said the project was expected to be completed by the end of December, 2024.
The Commissioner also inspected the ongoing construction of Okowa Crescent in Ughelli where he told the Ministry Engineers to intensify its supervisory role on the project.
By: Albert Ograka, Asaba
Continue Reading
Niger Delta
850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD
The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Niger Delta
Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects
The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Niger Delta
A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers
The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
-
Editorial18 hours agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Nation17 hours agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Hold Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Environment19 hours agoMOSOP – Tinubu Not Sincere With Ogoni People For Oil Resumption
-
News22 hours agoFubara, Wife Hail Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Initiative …As Over 6,800 Families Benefit From Largesse In Rivers
-
Oil & Energy17 hours agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Politics18 hours ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Maritime20 hours agoProducts, Others, To Arrive Lagos Ports Today — MPA
-
Politics18 hours ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
