Connect with us

Politics

Boko Haram: The Swap Option

Published

on

It has been five weeks of
suppressed anger, fragile peace, anxiety, trauma, hate and suspicion from a large chunk of Nigerian population following the abduction of well over 200 school girls at Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, in Borno State. Indeed, religious organizations, global bodies, various governments across the globe have risen to condemn the dastardly act against humanity.
It is for this reason that United States, Britain, China, France, Israel and many more sovereign nations have volunteered their security expertise to tackle the menace of Boko Haram sect in Nigeria.
For the past two weeks, Nigeria’s landscape has been under the increasing surveillance of the international community in a bid to secure the release of the Chibok school girls from their vicious and ruthless captors. The Boko Haram sect has offered to send the girls back home if the Nigerian government will reciprocate the “gesture” by freeing their members who are held in various parts of the country.
The leader of the Jama’atu Ahlis Sunnah Lid Da’awati Wal Jihad otherwise known as Boko Haram, Abubakar Shekau, in a video released last Monday, offered to free the school girls who were kidnapped by his fighters last month in exchange for the Boko Haram detainees. The 27-minute video showed a reasonable number of girls dressed in black hijab, reciting the opening chapter of the Qur’an in an undisclosed location.
“All I am saying is, if you want us to release your girls that were kidnapped, you must release our brethren that are held in Borno, Yobe, Kaduna, Abuja, Lagos and up to Enugu. We know that you have incarcerated our brethren all over this country,” the Agence France Press quoted Shekau as saying in the video.
He continued; “There are some of our brethren who have spent five complete years without seeing their wives, without seeing their children. There is even a woman that you released but refused to let her go with her baby. For God’s sake, even for ensuring their release, will I not kidnap? After all, Allah says I should kidnap.
“You that seized and detained my brethren for five years, you arrested and kept a woman without getting married for four years, you sieze and held our children.
“I will sell them, I repeat. And by Allah you will never get them until the day you release our brethren you seized and detained”.
In a swift reaction to the Boko Haram offer, Federal government officials came out with contradictory statements on government’s position, thus creating confusion in the minds of Nigerians and other members of the international community who are monitoring events in the country.
The Minister of Interior, Abba Moro told newsmen that the Federal government was closing in on the abductors and would not bow to their demands.
“Boko Haram has been designated a terrorist organization, hence it is unthinkable if this group gave out condition for anything to the government.
“As you know, Nigeria has invited international countries and we are closing in on them. There is no doubt that everybody has been eager to see that these girls are released, but in everything, there is supposed to be rules of game.
“Hence, no amount of pressure on Nigeria as an independent nation will make us to bow out. We know that this way is part of the rules of engagement, but as government, it needs to exert its powers towards adherence to the rules”, Moro said.
Also speaking, the Senate President, David Mark ruled out any form of negotiation with the Boko Haram insurgents, and assured that the Federal government would do everything possible to eradicate terrorism in the country.
“Boko Haram has become a real nuisance, and the menace is unacceptable. They have declared war on Nigeria and we will fight them with all the resources at our disposal.
“We will not allow it to go on for too long; government is very serious about it.
“It is an avoidable distraction and it is something we do not need at this point in our history when we are trying everything possible to bring development to Nigeria, to attract foreign investors.
“So, the message should go out loud and clear to anyone who is either a sponsor or a member of  Boko Haram that we will fight them with all resources at our disposal”, Mark said.
The Director-General of National Orientation Agency (NOA), Mike Omeri, however, in an interview with newsmen in Abuja, said “Government is reviewing the content of the video and the accompanying statement issued by the sect.
“Government will continue to explore all options for the release and safe return of our girls back to their homes.
“An earlier report by a section of the media purported to have been issued by government is totally false. This remains the official position of the Federal government of Nigeria”.
Pressed several times to confirm whether the federal government was going to negotiate with Boko Haram insurgents or exchange prisoners for the girls, he insisted that all options were open to the government.
“I still say all options are open. At the moment, all options are open. We are interacting with military and security experts from different parts of the world. So, there are part of the options that are left for us. There are more. If it is necessary that we use any action to get our girls, we will do it”, he said.
The Minister of Special Duties, Kabiru Turaki on his part, called on the leader of the sect to come for dialogue to end the onslaught on the Nigerian nation.
Turaki who is also the chairman of the committee set up by President Goodluck Jonathan to broker peace with the insurgents, said Shekau should demonstrate his sincerity by sending the representatives of the Boko Haram sects for negotiation with government.
According to him, “Dialogue is a key option in bringing the crisis to an end and that an inssue of this nature can be resolved outside violence”.
However, Director of Information at the Department of State Security, Ms Maryln Ogar, said negotiating with the terrorists was not an option.
“No government in the world will negotiate with terrorists. That is the best practice and we believe in the global best practice”, she said.
On the identity of the spokesperson for Boko Haram in the released video, Ogar insisted that the original leaders of the group, Abu Kaka and Shekau had been taken out by the security agencies.
“I think we have said on several occasions that Boko Haram has become a franchise. So, when you talk about Abu Kaka; when you talk about Shekau, Boko Haram has become a franchise. Anybody anywhere in the country can get up and assume Shekau and Kaka. Kaka is no more. Abubakar Shekau is no more. Both of them have been taken out a long time ago”, Ogar added.
The parents of the abducted school girls also commented on the Boko Haram video. A parent, Mallam Awana Babagana said with the release of the video, the parents believed their daughters were still alive and called on the federal government to do everything possible to secure the release of their daughters.
He said: “I have seen the video but I couldn’t identify my daughter. I hope they are the ones, we will keep on praying until they are released.
Another parent who spoke on condition of anonymity said he had the opportunity to watch the video, but he didn’t identify any of his missing daughters.
Also, another father of the kidnapped girls said that he would rather let his child die than have her converted to Islam or be exchanged for Boko Haram prisoners.
Speaking to the Telegraph of London, the man whose name was not mentioned for the safety of his daughter, said, “I have not yet seen the video, but I am not really interested in what Boko Haram’s demands are.
“My daughter is a Christian, she will never change. I would rather prefer she dies a Christian than convert to Islam.
“I don’t  want a prisoner exchange either, our daughters are not prisoners and they should not be exchanged for anyone.
“Let the government try to rescue them. If they have a prisoner exchange, that will look like the government is giving in to Boko Haram and it will just encourage them to take more hostages. They will never stop”, he said.
For pundits however, whatever option that is most acceptable to government at this point in time is immaterial as Nigerians and indeed the entire world are more concerned about the safety and home-coming of the abducted school girls.

 

Reward Akwu

Continue Reading

Politics

Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term

Published

on

The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt Hon. Tajudeen Abbas, on Saturday emerged unopposed as the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate for Zaria Federal Constituency ahead of the 2027 general elections.

Rt Hon. Abbas secured the party’s ticket through an affirmation exercise conducted across the 13 electoral wards in the constituency.

The wards involved include Kwarbai A, Kwarbai B, Limancin-Kona, Unguwar Fatika, Unguwar Juma, Dutsen Abba, Gyallesu, Kufena, Dambo, Wuchichiri, Tudun Wada, Tukur-Tukur, and Kaura.

The exercise, which began simultaneously in all wards at about 10 a.m., recorded large turnout of APC members who gathered at various party offices across the constituency.

At Kwarbai B Ward, the Speaker’s ward, the process was conducted peacefully under the supervision of the ward APC Returning Officer, Malam Iliyasu Muhammad Balarabe, in the presence of Rt Hon. Abbas.

According to the ward APC secretary, Nafiu Sabo, the ward has over 10,000 registered members, but 220 members were accredited for the exercise.

Before the affirmation, Mallam Balarabe informed members that Rt Hon Abbas was the only aspirant who purchased nomination forms, underwent screening, and was cleared by the APC national leadership to contest the Zaria Federal Constituency seat.

Following a voice vote by accredited members, the Speaker was affirmed as the party’s candidate in the ward, a process replicated across the remaining 12 wards.

At the constituency collation centre, the APC Returning Officer for the House of Representatives primary in Zaria Federal Constituency, Dr. Hamisu Ibrahim Kubau, announced that 1,376 APC members across the 13 wards endorsed Rt Hon. Abbas as the party’s flag bearer.

He explained that although thousands of party members participated in the exercise, only accredited delegates were allowed to vote.

Dr. Kubau declared: “There are 13 wards in Zaria Federal Constituency, and only one aspirant purchased a form, was screened, and cleared. He is Rt. Hon. Abbas Tajudeen. After due process, we conducted affirmations across all wards.”

He added that the process was peaceful and monitored by officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and party representatives.

Chairman of the APC House of Representatives Primary Elections in Kaduna State, Senator Yakubu Oseni, described the outcome as a reflection of the Speaker’s popularity and acceptance among constituents.

He expressed confidence that Rt Hon Abbas would secure victory in the 2027 general elections.

Speaking after his declaration, Rt Hon. Abbas expressed appreciation to APC members for reaffirming their confidence in him.

Continue Reading

Politics

C’River APC Reps Members Cry Foul, Describe Primary Election As Charade

Published

on

Some members of the National Assembly (NASS) from Cross River State seeking reelection have cried foul over the All Progressives Congress (APC) primaries conducted on Saturday, describing the processes as a “charade.”

The incumbent Reps including Emily Inyang and Godwin Offionio, in separate interviews

protested the handling of the primaries conducted by the leadership of the party in the state, saying it was skewed against them.


The aspirants further described the primaries as a charade and an embarrassment to the state.

 

According to them, the House of Representatives primaries fell short of the provisions of both the Electoral Act as amended in 2026 and the party’s constitution.

 

They accused the leadership of the party in the state, backed by Governor Bassey Otu, of violating the party’s constitution in the conduct of the House of Representatives primaries across the state on Saturday.

 

Hon. Godwin Offiono, representing Ogoja/Yala Federal Constituency, particularly expressed disappointment with the primary that allegedly disenfranchised registered members of the party in his constituency.

Hon. Offiono asserted that having failed to arrive at a consensus, the party leadership opted for a direct primary to decide the candidate for the 2027 election.

 

“But what I witnessed today was not only alarming, but quite disheartening that our electoral system have not shown any improvement, especially now that we have a man of God in the person of the governor as the leader of the party.

 

“How do you declare a result by 9:00am even when the electoral materials were yet to arrive at Yala.

 

“As an aspirant, I couldn’t even vote or see the materials for my own primary at my Okuku ward in Yala Local Government Area, where I come from. But no matter what happens I am still in the race and have not stepped down for anybody.

 

“The governor had all the time in the world to drive the process of consensus but he never did. As a representative, I cannot even see my governor. I called, no response. I sent text no reply. I am treated as an out cast,” he lamented.

 

In an emotion laden tone during a telephone interview, Hon. Offiono further said: “I could not believe that first term NASS members like me can be treated in this shoddy manner even when I don’t know my offence.

 

“I have been a loyal party man. I appeal to the governor to do the right thing, follow the Electoral Act and party constitution in electing representatives.”

Similarly, Hon. Emil Inyang of Akamkpa/Biase Federal Constituency said he still remained in the race and had not stepped down for anybody.

 

According to him, “If this shenanigan called primary is allowed to stand, it would affect the party’s fortune in the general elections.

 

“My appeal to the governor is to allow the people to decide. And if they so voted against me, I will rest and not fight over anything.

 

“There was no stakeholders meeting held to decide on anything before now, and someone can not be unilaterally imposed on us all in the name of compromised primary,” he stated.

 

Continue Reading

Politics

APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race

Published

on

A coalition of support groups within the All Progressives Congress (APC) has protested the disqualification of former presidential aspirant, Mr Tein Jack-Rich, from the Rivers West Senatorial race ahead of the party’s primaries for the 2027 general elections.

The groups, in a statement issued on Saturday morning in Abuja, described the action of the party’s screening committee as unjust and capable of worsening internal divisions within the APC in Rivers State.

The statement, signed by the coalition’s National Coordinator, Dr. Bilal Galadima, and General Secretary, Hon. James Ogenyi, accused the party leadership in Rivers State of favouring politicians loyal to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Chief Nyesom Wike, while sidelining long-standing members of the APC.

The coalition alleged that only aspirants aligned with Chief Wike were cleared to contest for elective positions in the state.

“How can our party allow only one man who is not a member of our party to make decisions or dictate the direction of our party?”, the group queried.

The coalition specifically faulted the exclusion of Mr Jack-Rich, describing him as a loyal party member who had supported the APC for more than 13 years and previously contested the party’s presidential ticket.

It also questioned the alleged clearance of Chief Felix Obua, whom it described as a recent entrant into the party and an ally of Chief Wike.

“How can our party disqualify Jack-Rich, a former presidential aspirant who has been loyal and supported our party for the last 13 years, only for our party to choose Felix Obua, a Wike loyalist who only joined the party three months ago?”, the statement read.

The group warned that failure by the APC leadership and National Working Committee (NWC) to address the matter as it could weaken the party’s structure in Rivers State ahead of the 2027 elections.

It called on party leaders to uphold internal democracy, reward loyalty and ensure a level playing field for all aspirants.

INEC TO BEGIN MEMBERSHIP VERIFICATION AS POLITICAL PARTIES SUBMIT REGISTER

All 22 registered political parties have successfully submitted their membership registers to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in compliance with the Electoral Act 2026, the Commission has said.

In a statement issued on Friday, Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Mr Mohammed Haruna, said the submission followed the extension granted by the Commission after political parties raised concerns during a meeting on Tuesday, March 24, 2026, regarding the timeline provided in the Revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the 2027 general elections.

He said, “The Commission is pleased to note that all registered parties submitted their registers as of 8th May 2026, two days before the extended deadline.”

He recalled that following a meeting with political parties, the Commission, in a statement issued on the 27th of March, 2026, adjusted the deadline for the submission of party registers from 21st April 2026 to 10th May 2026 to align with the provisions of Section 77(4) of the Electoral Act 2026 and the actual dates fixed by political parties for their primaries.

Mr Haruna noted that political parties were accordingly allowed to conduct their primaries within the approved period from 23rd April 2026 to 30th May 2026, while the register of party members was required to be submitted to the Commission not later than 21 days before the conduct of their respective primaries.

He added, “INEC wishes to state that all registered political parties complied with the requirement within the extended timeframe and will subject the submitted registers to the necessary verification processes in line with the law.”

The Commission restated its commitment to the conduct of free, fair, credible and inclusive elections.

Continue Reading

Trending