Connect with us

Business

NUPENG And The Rest Of Us

Published

on

The National Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers
(NUPENG), last Monday in Lagos, issued a four-day notice to embark on a
nationwide strike should the Federal Government fail to effect payments of
outstanding fuel subsidy claims to importers of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS)/depot
owners across the country.

While issuing the threat, President of NUPENG, Achese Igwe,
said that the action became imperative following government’s failure to pay
the subsidy claims, which the union argues, was a breach of an agreement it
reached with the government on July 27, 2012, and therefore, threatens the job
security of Nigerians working for the oil marketers as they (marketers) are now
unable to pay staff salaries.

NUPENG also insisted that the government needed to clear the
outstanding subsidy claims because it has refused to repair the refineries and
depots to enable them refine and store products for local consumption. The
union argued that fuel importation was a burden the Federal Government brought
upon itself by sheer neglect of the refineries, stating that it therefore,
behoves on the government to fulfil its obligations to Nigerians by paying
those licensed to import products.

The union said that government’s failure to pay the
outstanding subsidy claims to fuel importers, meant that its members working
for the private depot owners and others, who have been owed salaries for
months, would continue to suffer as long as government remained adamant,
stressing that this was in breach of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)
signed with all stakeholders by government.

But in a swift reaction, Minister of Finance, Dr Ngozi
Okonjo-Iweala, said that the government would not pay subsidy to individuals
and companies indicted in the 2011 oil subsidy probe to which several billions
of naira had been siphoned from government’s coffers.

Okonjo-Iweala, who is also the Coordinating Minister of the
economy, stated that as long as the Economic and financial Crimes Commission
(EFCC) had not concluded its prosecution of those accused of fraudulently
receiving monies from government in connection with fuel importation,
government will not release any payments to them until they refund the monies
they illegally collected.

While The Tide understands the union’s position over the
delay in fixing the refineries and depots, and the fact that its members
working for some of the companies indicted in the subsidy probe reports may be
suffering as a result of the inability of their employers to pay them salaries
as and when due, we seriously disagree with the union’s stand that industrial
action is the best option available.

The Tide reckons that NUPENG has an inalienable right to
protest and ensure improved welfare for its members, but the union should also
realise the fact that where its rights end, the rights of other Nigerians
begin. Without a doubt, the union has to respect the rights of others to
peaceful socio-economic lives and demand its members’ rights in such a way that
they do not infringe on the rights of others.

We indeed believe that there are other means of resolving
such conflicts, especially through dialogue and negotiations with all parties
as well as enlisting the services of the courts of competent jurisdiction to
adjudicate on the matter to ensure that justice was served instead of
attempting to be the accuser, the judge and the executioner in its own matter.

For us, the NUPENG’s threat is a deliberate ploy to
blackmail the government into paying undeserving petroleum marketers for
services they did not render.  This, in
itself aims at perpetuating official corruption which every well meaning
Nigerian stands against.

We rather expect NUPENG to mount pressure on the petroleum
marketers to comply with the due process and get their pay instead of trying to
blame the ordinary Nigerians. NUPENG should be civil enough to dialogue with
the Federal Government on the subsidy payment issues with a view to finding a
sustainable solution to the impasse and nothing more.

Plunging the nation into any strike at this time would
subject millions of Nigerians into another period of suffering and drain the
struggling economy. Besides, the security challenges facing the nation would
further be given fillip by creating window for hoodlums to take advantage of
the atmosphere to cause instability and threaten the peace of the nation.

Nigerians are not ready now for any strike that would cripple
the system just to satisfy the selfish interest of a few. We think that it is
time to call the NUPENG bluff. NUPENG should realise that it is not the only
industrial union in Nigeria, and that its excesses should not be allowed to
hurt any Nigerian anymore. Nigerians deserve to lead their normal lives without
any distractions from another round of fuel strike.

Continue Reading

Business

Boat Mishap Kills Pastor, Wife And Church Members  In Brass Water

Published

on

A boat accident in Bayelsa state has killed a serving Pastor, Wife and other church members along Brass waterways
The sad incident happened at Odioama in Brass local government area of Bayelsa State when the Pastor, wife and  members of his church were in a programme.
?
?Tide confirmed that the lifeless body of the Pastor’s wife has been found and deposited in a mortuary while the remains of her husband ,the Pastor is yet  to be recovered
as search party are still ongoing.
Although the real cause of the boat Mishap is not yet known as at the time of this report,  our Correspondent gathered  that the identities of the Pastor, wife and church members were not disclosed to the public.
The mishap, Tide gathered occurred on Friday morning when the church members were on a boat transit
The Bayelsa State government and the state police command are yet to issue official statement’s  on the sad accident
By: CHINEDU WOSU
Continue Reading

Business

Rivers Workers Seek Scrapping Of Contributory Pension Scheme

Published

on

The Rivers State Council of  Nigeria Civil Service Union has called on the State Government to urgently scrap the contributory pension scheme, describing it as unfavourable to long-serving civil servants in the state.
Chairman of the union, Chukwuka Osuma, said this in an interview with newsmen in Port Harcourt,  recently.
Osuma said the current pension structure has continued to worsen post-retirement hardship for workers.
He noted that  the contributory pension scheme had failed to provide adequate retirement security for workers who had spent many years in service, especially those approaching retirement age.
According to him, civil servants who had served for more than 20 years were among the worst affected under the scheme, insisting that many retirees could no longer cope with prevailing economic realities.
He also  informed that the Union has made moves to showcase their concerns, pleading with Governor Siminalayi Fubara to abolish the pension policy and introduce a more favourable arrangement for affected workers.
“The union was not opposed to pension reforms, the contributory scheme should only apply to newly employed workers or those with fewer years in service”, he said.
Osuma explained that workers who had already spent decades in the civil service ought to remain under a more secure pension structure capable of guaranteeing stability after retirement.
The labour leader further noted that inflation and the rising cost of living had continued to erode the value of retirement savings, thereby increasing the suffering of pensioners across the country.
He also appealed to the state government to consider extending the years of service in the civil service from 35 to 40 years and the retirement age from 60 to 65 years.
Osuma argued that such adjustment had become necessary in view of present-day economic realities and changing conditions in the workplace.
The unionist also reviewed that similar policies had already been adopted in some sectors and jurisdictions, expressing optimism that the State could also implement the reforms for the benefit of workers.
He however, commended Governor Fubara for approving an N85,000 minimum wage for workers in the state, noting that the amount was above the national benchmark of N70,000.
Osuma also acknowledged the government’s efforts in the area of workers’ promotions and bonuses, but insisted that pension reforms and extension of years of service remained critical to the long-term welfare and stability of civil servants in Rivers State.
By: King Onunwor
Continue Reading

Business

FG Begins South-West Tour To Promote New Cooperative Bank

Published

on

The Federal Government has launched the South-West zonal engagement and ministerial advocacy tour on the Cooperative Bank of Nigeria share capital mobilisation, sensitisation and cooperative sector digitalisation.
 Reports say the initiative was launched through the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security.
According to reports, the advocacy tour, organised by the ministry’s Federal Department of Cooperatives, began on Monday in Lagos.
Speaking at the event, the Minister of State for Agriculture and Food Security and Supervising Minister of Cooperative Affairs, Dr Aliyu Abdullahi, said the initiative was part of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda.
Abdullahi described the exercise as a strategic effort to reposition the cooperative sector as a key driver of inclusive economic growth, financial inclusion, enterprise development, food security and national prosperity.
“Today represents a defining moment in our collective determination to reposition the cooperative sector as a major driver of inclusive economic growth, financial inclusion, enterprise development, food security and national prosperity,” he said.
The minister noted  the modern cooperative movement in Nigeria originated in the South-West following the 1934 Strickland Report, which led to the enactment of the Cooperative Societies Ordinance of 1935.
According to him, the decision to commence the sensitisation and share capital mobilisation tour in the region is symbolic, as it marks a return to the roots of cooperative development in the country.
Abdullahi said the advocacy tour was a direct outcome of resolutions reached at the 8th Regular Meeting of the National Council on Cooperative Affairs held in Abuja in March 2026.
He said the council approved the Renewed Hope Cooperative Reform and Revamp Programme, a comprehensive framework designed to strengthen the cooperative sector and align it with the administration’s goal of building a one-trillion-dollar economy.
“The reform programme focuses on seven strategic pillars, including governance reforms, cooperative financing and the establishment of the Cooperative Bank of Nigeria, digitalisation, capacity building, value chain development, inclusion of youths, women and persons with disabilities, and strategic partnerships,” he said.
He said the establishment of the Cooperative Bank of Nigeria and the digitalisation of the cooperative sector were the two major transformational initiatives under the programme.
“The Cooperative Bank of Nigeria is aimed at rebuilding a strong cooperative financial system capable of supporting cooperators, farmers, artisans, traders, SMEs, youths, women and persons with disabilities with accessible and affordable financial services,” he said.
Abdullahi emphasised that the proposed bank would be government-enabled but not government-funded.
“Government is not establishing the bank as an owner, nor will it rely on Treasury Single Account funds.
“The role of government through the FMAFS is to provide policy support, stakeholder coordination, regulatory facilitation and an enabling environment under the Renewed Hope Cooperative Reform and Revamp Programme,” he said.
Also speaking, the Lagos State Commissioner for Commerce, Cooperatives, Trade and Investment, Mrs Folashade Ambrose-Medebem, reaffirmed the state government’s commitment to cooperative sector transformation.
She described cooperatives as critical tools for promoting inclusive growth, grassroots productivity, food security, financial inclusion and community wealth creation.
Ambrose-Medebem said Lagos State would continue to support reforms and collaborate with stakeholders to ensure the successful implementation of the Renewed Hope Cooperative Reform and Revamp Programme (2025–2030).
“Together, let us build a cooperative ecosystem that is modern, transparent, digitally enabled, financially inclusive and globally competitive.
“Let us build cooperatives that not only mobilise savings, but also mobilise prosperity,” she said.
Continue Reading

Trending