Sports
Chelsea Fights For Self, Premiership Pride: UEFA Champions League
Premier League honour will be at stake today as Chelsea attempts to overturn a first-leg deficit against Napoli and prevent England’s worst UEFA Champions League campaign for 16 years.
Not since the 1995/1996 edition of European football’s most prestigious club tournament – when Blackburn Rovers were bombed out in the group phase – has an English team failed to reach the quarter-finals.
The demise of the Premier League’s representatives this season contrasts sharply with the dominance of a few years ago, when between 2007 and 2009, English clubs won through to nine out of 12 available semi-final berths.
Yet, with Manchester United and Manchester City falling at the first hurdle, and Arsenal eliminated by Milan last week, the Premier League’s hopes of survival in Europe now rests with Chelsea.
A 3-1 defeat in the first leg last month marked the beginning of the end for sacked Manager Andre Villas-Boas, when the Portuguese coach’s risky decision to leave Frank Lampard and Ashley Cole on the bench backfired spectacularly.
Since Villas-Boas’s abrupt dismissal, however, Chelsea have shown signs of a mini-revival, grinding out a 2-0 FA Cup victory at Birmingham last week followed by a 1-0 win over Stoke at the weekend.
Those two results marked the first time in nearly two months that Chelsea had kept clean sheets in consecutive matches, something they will almost certainly need to do if they are to squeeze past Napoli today.
Crucially, Chelsea have been buoyed by the sooner-than-expected return of captain John Terry, whose absence was never felt more acutely than in the first leg, when Napoli’s vaunted attackers Edinson Cavani and Ezequiel Lavezzi teased and tormented the Blues’ defence throughout.
Chelsea’s interim manager Roberto Di Matteo admitted Napoli’s counter-attacking threat posed a serious problem for his team but insisted victory was achievable. “We will have to be balanced, obviously, because their threat obviously on counter-attacking is very good and they have some players that can hurt you,” Di Matteo said.
“When they’re going to come here today at Stamford Bridge, they will play against a good team, a great team, and we will make their life difficult and try to turn the leg around.”
Di Matteo has declined to rate Chelsea’s chances of survival, however. “I’ll leave that up to you to say how much percentage we have. We have to believe that we can turn this around and that we can win the game and that’s how we’re going to go into this game,” he said.
It was left to Spanish playmaker Juan Mata to strike a more bullish tone, with the 23-year-old urging his team mates to go for the jugular against a Napoli side whose defence is anything but impregnable, as last Friday’s 6-3 win over Cagliari demonstrated.
“From the first minute, we have to try to create chances to score,” Mata said. “We know that they have very, very good strikers. We have to be careful with them but we are going to press them from the first minute.”
Mata believes Chelsea’s home form in the Champions League this season is a good omen heading into Wednesday’s return. “In football, nothing is impossible,” he said. “At Stamford Bridge, this Champions League, we had good results in the group – 3-0, 2-0 and 5-0. All the supporters, for sure, will be cheering us. It’s a final for us and I think we can do it.”
Napoli defender Paolo Cannavaro meanwhile said his team mates had been forewarned following AC Milan’s first-half against Arsenal last week, when the Italians shipped three goals to the Gunners in a devastating early onslaught.
“The Arsenal match last week opened our eyes,” Cannavaro said. “We are going to come under pressure but if we concentrate and stay calm we can do it. The first-half will be very important.”
Sports
Amusan places third in Diamond League opener
The Nigerian, who arrived in China fresh from winning gold at the African Senior Athletics Championships in Ghana earlier on Wednesday, clocked a season’s best of 12.41s behind Olympic champion Masai Russell and Bahamian star Devynne Charlton.
Russell produced a dominant display to win the race in a meeting record and world-leading time of 12.25s, improving on her previous world lead of 12.40s.
Charlton, the reigning world indoor champion, finished second in 12.38s in one of her strongest outdoor performances to date.
Amusan, whose world record of 12.12s remains the fastest time ever run in the event, improved significantly from her previous season’s best of 12.84s set during her victorious outing at the African Championships in Accra.
The 29-year-old was competing in a stacked field that included reigning world champion Ditaji Kambundji of Switzerland, Jamaican pair Megan Simmonds and Ackera Nugent, China’s Wu Yanni and Americans Tonea Marshall and Danielle Williams.
Kambundji, who won the world title in Tokyo last year with a Swiss record 12.24s, finished fifth in 12.82s, while Jamaica’s Nugent placed sixth in 12.98s.
Marshall and Williams failed to finish the race.
Following Amusan’s victory in Accra, the three-time Diamond League final winner expressed gratitude to her supporters while insisting she remained determined to achieve more success this season.
“Beyond grateful to God, my team, supporters, and everyone who continues to believe in me through every season. Historic feeling. Still hungry for more. The mission continues,”
Sports
Falcons To Tackle Senegal in Pre-WAFCON friendly
The 10-time African champions are scheduled to take on the Teranga Lionesses on June 5 and 8 at the Remo Stars Stadium in Ikenne, Ogun State, in what will form a key part of their build-up to July’s continental tournament.
The fixtures were confirmed on social media platform X by Super Falcons Show, which announced the details of the encounter and venue.
“Nigeria’s senior women’s national team, the Super Falcons, will take on Senegal Women’s National Team in a double-header international friendly scheduled for June 5 and 8,” the post read.
“Both matches will be played in Ikenne, Nigeria.”
The friendlies come after Nigeria’s proposed training tour of the United Kingdom, which included a planned match against Jamaica, was cancelled due to scheduling complications linked to FIFA’s official women’s international window. The timing meant clubs would not have been obliged to release players.
With that tour shelved, the Senegal fixtures now offer a timely opportunity for coach Justine Madugu and his technical team to assess squad options, test tactical systems and strengthen team cohesion ahead of the WAFCON campaign and longer-term qualification targets for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Brazil.
Senegal are expected to provide a competitive regional test, with their physical style and disciplined organisation likely to offer Nigeria a different tactical challenge across both matches.
The Super Falcons, who have dominated African women’s football for decades, will be aiming to use the double-header to fine-tune preparations as they pursue another continental title in Morocco next year.
Sports
Okpekpe Road Race Unveils Partners, Appoints Dr. Bojuwoye
Dr Bojuwoye, a seasoned medical professional with extensive experience in road running events across Nigeria, is expected to bring added value to the race through his expertise.
As medical director, his responsibilities will include overseeing emergency medical response, coordinating first aid stations along the course, ensuring athlete safety, and supervising medical volunteers and paramedics.
His role is critical in safeguarding the health of both elite and recreational runners, as well as spectators.
In addition to unveiling its new medical director, the organisers also announced five corporate partners for the 2026 edition.
The Development Bank of Nigeria (DBN), Petralon Energy, Razzl Drink, Dan Oil, and Carloha Motors have joined as sponsors, reflecting the race’s growing appeal across diverse sectors of the Nigerian economy.
The Okpekpe race, organised by Pamodzi Sports Marketing Company, has steadily risen in prominence since becoming the first road race in Nigeria to earn World Athletics label status in 2015.
It has since advanced to Gold Label Race status, attracting elite athletes from around the world and cementing its reputation as one of Africa’s benchmark road-running competitions.
Edo State, under the leadership of Governor Monday Okpebolo, has reaffirmed its commitment to supporting the race, citing its role in promoting tourism, community pride, and international recognition for the region.
Race Director Zack Amodu noted that the new partnerships underscore the event’s stature and its impact beyond sport.
We are delighted to welcome DBN, Petralon, Razzl, and Carloha Motors as partners for the 11th edition. Their support, alongside the backing of Edo State, not only strengthens the race but also reinforces its role as a platform for promoting excellence, youth empowerment, and community development,’ Amodu said.
Beyond its sporting significance, the Okpekpe International 10km Road Race has become a catalyst for social, health, and economic benefits.
It encourages fitness and healthy lifestyles, fosters social cohesion by bringing communities together, and generates economic activity through tourism, hospitality, and local commerce.
The event also showcases Edo State’s cultural vibrancy while contributing to Nigeria’s growing reputation in global athletics.
The 11th edition is expected to draw elite athletes, local participants, and international attention, further consolidating Nigeria’s place on the global athletics calendar.
-
Editorial5 days agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Sports5 days agoOparaodu Urges Rivers United To Win Katsina United
-
Education5 days agoUNIPort Senate Grants Two-Year Amnesty to U2010–U2018 Students
-
Nation5 days agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Holds Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Oil & Energy5 days agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Politics5 days ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Sports5 days ago” Nigeria’s best domestic players are not in NPFL”
-
Politics5 days ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
