News
Senate Debates Emergency Rule In Three States, May 21 …As Army Begins Offensive Against Terror In Borno
The Senate has fixed May 21 for discussions on the state of emergency declared by President Goodluck Jonathan in Borno, Yobe and Adamawa States.
The Senate President, Sen. David Mark, announced this yesterday when he requested the senators at plenary session and those absent to be present on the day.
Mark said their presence was imperative for the Senate to form a quorum to deliberate on “an important national issue”.
“I would like to appeal to all distinguished colleagues here present and those who are not here, that they should be present on Tuesday, May 21, 2013.”
He said this was necessary “so that we form a quorum to deliberate on a sensitive matter that will be before us on that day’’.
Our correspondent reports that out of the 109 senators,only 54 attended yesterday’s session.
Section 305 of the 1999 Constitution provides that the proclamation of a state of emergency has no effect unless the National Assembly passes a resolution, supported by two third majority of each House.
It adds that the proclamation is to take place within two days when the National Assembly is in session and 10 days when not in session, after the publication in the Official Gazette of the Federal Government.
“A proclamation issued by the President under this section shall cease to have effect if it affects the Federation or any part thereof and within two days when the National Assembly is in session.”
The Leader of the Senate, Senator Victor Ndoma-Egba, said the delay in the debate could not breach the Constitution since the proclamation had not been published in the government gazette.
“ The Constitution is very clear. You start counting the days from the date of the publication of the gazette. We haven’t seen any gazette.
“It is when the gazette has been published, if we are in session, we are obliged to approve or confirm it within two days.
“If we are not in session, then we are obliged to approve or reject it within 10 days. Section 305 does not provide a timeframe for the publication of the gazette.’’
“There is a lacuna here, but so far no provision of the Constitution has been breached and there is no constitutional crisis”, he said.
Meanwhile, More than 2,000 Nigerian troops have begun an offensive to retake territory seized by Boko Haram Islamist insurgents in the remote villages in north-eastern Borno State , some of them raiding camps in a game reserve, a military source told newsmen, yesterday.
The military has launched a sweeping operation to flush out Boko Haram fighters, a radical group which says it wants to create an Islamic state in northern Nigeria.
The offensive follows an admission by President Goodluck Jonathan that Boko Haram had “taken over” parts of the northeast and declared war against the Nigerian government, prompting him to impose emergency measures in the three states.
A military source, who requested anonymity, told newsmen that operations had started in, at least, one area of Borno State, the epicentre of the insurgency.
“Our men raided some terrorist camps in the Sambisa Game Reserve,” in northern Borno, early on Wednesday, he said. ‘
In January, the military stormed Boko Haram training facilities in the same area.
The source added that 2,000 troops had been deployed to Borno but declined to comment on the number of forces sent to the two other affected states, Y obe and Adamawa.
Army spokesman, Brigadier General Ibrahim Attahiru refused to discuss figures.
Residents in all three states have reported seeing an increased number of military personnel.
Zangina Kyarimi, who lives in the remote town of Marti in northern Borno towards the border with Chad, told newsmen yesterday that “large military teams” arrived late Wednesday.
“I saw dozens of military vans and trucks accompanied by tanks,” he said by phone from the town which is considered a Boko Haram stronghold.
“We are afraid of what might happen in the coming days. We are thinking of leaving.”
The security forces yesterday told banks to close in the town of Gashua in Yobe State, where suspected Boko Haram fighters attacked the police and a series of buildings on April 26, resident Musa Saminu said.
“Around 30 military vans passed through the town … They were heavily armed. Some of them went to the banks and asked them to close down as a precaution,” he said.
Red Cross spokesmen, Nwakpa O. Nwakpa said the orgainsation was prepared to offer relief to civilian impacted by the military operation
Nigeria’s security forces have been accused of massive rights abuses in campaigns against Boko Haram, which may have amounted to crimes against humanity, according to Human Rights Watch.
Boko Haram entrenched itself in the expansive region bordering Cameroun, Chad and Niger Republic due to relatively modest military presence and despite the boosted number of troops some analysts believe the Islamists will be able to spread out and find safe havens.
Boko Haram has carried out scores of attacks across northern and central Nigeria since 20-10, but experts say that in recent months, the Islamists have become better armed and better funded.
The group is believed to be led by Abubakar Shekau, declared a global terrorist by the United States, but the extent of his control is unclear.
Shekau has rejected any form of negotiation with the Federal Government.
The Boko Haram conflict is estimated to have cost 3,600 lives since 2010, including killings by the security forces.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
