Connect with us

Niger Delta

N’Delta Coalition, Bayelsa Youths Condemn Call For Ogbuku’s Sack

Published

on

The Niger Delta Coalition Vision (NDCV), a group advocating for peace and development in the Niger Delta, has condemned the call by the Movement for the Survival of Ogoni People (MOSOP) for the sack of the Managing Director of the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC), Chief Samuel Ogbuku, over alleged neglect of the organisation.
MOSOP had, at a press briefing in Port Harcourt, last Thursday, called for the removal of Chief Ogbuku, as the NDDC Managing Director over alleged non-inclusion of the organisation in the Niger Delta Stakeholders Summit, held last week.
However, NDCV described the statement made by MOSOP as regrettable, reckless, and capable of inciting ethnic tension in the Niger Delta region.
NDCV, in a statement signed by His Royal Highness, Alaowei Amawari; Prince Victor Oleh, Engr. Donald Benneth, Hon. Lovina Charles, Chief Simeipiri Kiki and Mr. Chike Chile, expressed disappointment at the MOSOP’s statement, saying the issue could have been addressed through dialogue and constructive engagement.
The statement, read in part, “We are deeply concerned about individuals and groups in the region resorting to issuing provocative press commentaries that could sow division.
“We do not need to remind MOSOP that the Ogoni matter is part of the broader Niger Delta context. We share a common goal of seeking justice in social, economic, environmental, and resource matters.
“Undoubtedly, the entire Niger Delta region has, over the years, demonstrated significant solidarity with the Ogoni cause, even though we are all victims of the devastation and degradation of our lands and livelihoods due to the activities of oil multinationals. None is a greater victim than the rest!
“If MOSOP thoughtlessly demands Ogbuku’s removal over a perceived lack of summit invitation, perhaps we should urge MOSOP to address the fact that no “barrel” of oil has been extracted from Ogoni land for about 30 years.
“Shouldn’t there be a resolution to this issue? If every oil-producing community in the Niger Delta halts production, won’t that impact funds for the NDDC, local governments, states, the FCT, and the country as a whole?”
NDCV cautioned MOSOP and other ethnic and socio-cultural organisations in the Niger Delta against making expressions that could inflame ethnic tensions and undermine the existing peace in the region.
The body further urged the public and the government to disregard MOSOP’s call.
NDCV said the current leadership of the NDDC led by Chief Ogbuku has demonstrated commendable leadership and competence in running the commission, transforming its previous negative image.
It also commended the NDDC’s Board and Management for successfully hosting the Niger Delta Stakeholders Summit 2024, the first of its kind in the region, in Port Harcourt.
Meanwhile, the leadership of Ogbia Brotherhood Youth Council (OBYC) Worldwide and the Bayelsa State Local Government Youth Presidents Forum (BSLGYPF) have also condemned the call by MOSOP for the sack of the NDDC boss.
National President of OBYC Worldwide, Ambassador Johnny S. Jonathan, in a statement, said MOSOP, as a pressure and socio-political organisation, has no right to demand the removal of the NDDC boss over alleged exclusion of MOSOP from the NDDC Stakeholders Summit.
He said, “The attention of the Ogbia Brotherhood Youth Council (OBYC) Worldwide and the Bayelsa State Local Government Youth Presidents Forum (BSLGYPF) have been drawn to what I term as a petty publication made on the Nation Newspaper of Saturday 13 July 2024 and credited to the Movement for the Survival of the Ogoni People (MOSOP), wherein they berated and alleged that our pathfinder, priceless jewel, visionary and innovative leader, Chief Samuel Ogbuku, PhD, MD/CEO of NDDC, excluded the people of Ogoni from the just-concluded Niger Delta Stakeholders Summit, emphasizing that the NDDC Boss allegedly said that the main reason for the exclusion of the Ogonis from the Summit was because they have denied the Federal and State governments access to the crude oil deposits in Ogoniland.
“For proper information and record purposes, Chief (Dr.) Samuel Ogbuku by his character disposition is a reformed, refined and detribalided son of the Niger Delta Region that has respect for people irrespective of social status, ethnic tie, creed and political affiliation and persuasion, hence his appreciable collaborative efforts and actions geared towards uniting the people and creating the necessary conditions for social cohesion in the Niger Delta Region through his periodic Stakeholders engagements.
“Consequently, the MD couldn’t have contemplated excluding an important ethnic nationality like the Ogoni let alone making a nasty and denigrating comment as alleged by one Imeabe Oscar of MOSOP”.
He said the Niger Delta Region is on a new pathway to sustainable development under Ogbuku, and warned against a pull-him-down syndrome, emphasizing that such crude and destructive actions have become obsolete and counterproductive.
Jonathan, who is also the Chairman of Bayelsa State Local Government Youth Presidents Forum (BSLGYPF), called on the people of the Niger Delta Region and the public to disregard MOSOP’s statement, and urged the people to refrain from statements capable of causing disunity among the various ethnic nationalities in the region.

By: Chinedu Wosu

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending