Connect with us

Business

2010: Mixed Grill For Nigeria’s Manufacturing Sector

Published

on

From all indications, Nigeria’s manufacturing sector has recorded some improvement last year due to a number of reforms initiated by the Federal Government.

The Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN) says that macroeconomic indicators in 2009 showed that the country’s Gross Domestic Products (GDP) grew by 7.0 per cent in the third quarter of  last year, compared with 6.13 per cent in 2008.

The association says the growth was driven mainly by the non-oil sector, particularly agriculture, which accounted for 45.35 per cent of the GDP.

Industry operators attribute the feat to the latest round of Central Bank’s banking reform programme, which started in August 2009, saying that the reform has impacted positively on the manufacturing sector in 2010.

They also note that the Federal Government’s Power Sector Reform Programme, aimed at fully liberalising power generation and distribution, has also boosted production in the manufacturing sector.

They say that the two reforms, if well implemented, are capable of reviving manufacturing activities and the national economy, while aiding the fulfillment of the Federal Government’s Vision 20:2020, aimed at making Nigeria one of the top 20 industrialised countries in the world by 2020.

MAN, at its last annual general meeting, described the latest banking reforms as “timely, creative and critically beyond the teachings of liberal economic theory where the primary role of the central bank is macroeconomic stability and to ensure a stable banking sector’’.

The immediate-past President of MAN, Alhaji Bashir Borodo, conceded that it was rare for the CBN to initiate such initiatives to redeem the real sector of the economy directly, adding that such tasks often fell within the exclusive preserve of politicians, ministers of finance or national planning.

He noted that the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) often viewed developing countries’ efforts to inject funds to prop up the real sector of their economies with scorn.

Borodo said that the banking reforms had a three-stage process which was first of its kind in any developing country, adding that the first involved the restructuring of existing short-term, high-interest loans into long-term loans with a low interest of seven per cent per annum.

Under this requirement, banks are expected to give loans to the real sector, using at least 50 per cent of funds received from the Bank of Industry (BOI), while the CBN guarantees loans given to

manufacturers and SMEs under the Medium Enterprises Credit Guarantee Scheme.

“We believe this bold initiative by the CBN will set the standards for monetary intervention in the real sector and will ultimately define the relationship existing between the banking sector and the real sector,’’ Borodo said.

The MAN chief, however, said that for the manufacturing sector, there had been “growing challenges’’, induced mainly by the economic environment of the country.

Industry watchers, nonetheless, commend the Federal Government for approving N150 billion for the manufacturing sector and N100 billion for the textiles sector, out of which N30 billion has already been disbursed through the Bank of Industry (BOI).

In spite of the intervention, experts say that many challenges are still confronting the manufacturing sector, stressing that a major limitation was the country’s energy crisis.

However, the Federal Government is not unmindful of the energy constraints, as it has repeatedly pledged to make electricity more available by 2012 via its power reform programme.

On August 26, for instance, President Goodluck Jonathan launched the roadmap to power sector’s reform, in which Federal Government is expected to sell off its 51 stake in electricity distribution companies and thermal power stations to private investors.

Under the new arrangement, however, the Federal Government will still own the transmission grid but the facility will be managed by private sector operators.

Prof. Barth Nnaji, the Chairman of the Presidential Taskforce on Power Issues, said that the Federal Government was working hard to ensure that some of the electricity companies were sold before the expiration of the administration’s tenure.

The measures notwithstanding, economic analysts contend that the limitations of the manufacturing sector include inconsistent government policies, poor infrastructure, multiple taxation, smuggling and importation of substandard goods.

They also criticise the new Federal Government policy lifting the ban on imported products such as textiles and fabrics, toothpicks and beverages, while extending the age of imported second-hand vehicles to 15 years.

The Minister of Finance, Mr Olusegun Aganga, who unveiled the new policy, defended it as a strategy aimed at encouraging Nigerian importers to use the country’s seaports for imports to generate revenue for the government and discourage smuggling of vehicles in particular.

However, Mr Jaiyeola Olanrewaju, the Director-General of the Nigerian Textiles Manufacturers Association (NTMA), said that the textile sector did not perform well in 2010.

He, nonetheless, said that some textile producers were able to have access to N30 billion, out of the N100 billion which the Federal Government gave to BOI for the development of the textile sector.

Olanrewaju bemoaned the state of Nigeria’s infrastructure, deploring the dismal state of the country’s energy situation in particular.

“Unless the power situation is improved, our industries cannot produce competitively, as imported items will continue to be cheaper than locally produced products,’’ he said.

The NTMA chief stressed that no country could develop without a productive industrial base which was hinged on regular electricity supply.

He described the new government policy lifting the ban on imported items, including textiles, as “absurd’’, particularly when locally produced fabrics could not compete with the foreign ones.

“Stakeholders believe that the ban should be maintained until the operating environment is conducive enough, as most of our textile products cannot compete with imported ones because of high costs of production,’’ he said.

Olanrewaju said that it was incongruous for the government that was struggling to ensure the revival of the country’s ailing industries to initiate such a policy that could provoke the closure of more industries and worsen the unemployment situation.

He wondered how textiles manufacturers would be able to pay back the loans they got from BOI if they were unable to produce and sell fabrics because of the new policy.

“It means the government will have to take over the factories sooner or later when they cannot meet their obligations to the bank,’’ he said.

Olanrewaju identified some of the problems plaguing the sector as poor electricity supply, prohibitive costs of diesel, gas and transportation, as well as bad roads.

Apart from textile manufacturers, other industrialists have bemoaned the government policy relaxing the import restrictions placed on certain manufactured goods.

They argue that the country would soon become a dumping ground for substandard products, stressing that the Federal Government must reverse the policy which, they say, is inimical to the growth of the manufacturing sector.

Alhaji Amuda Obelawo, the Chief Executive Officer of LOPIN Industries, identified the influx of substandard goods into Nigeria as the bane of the country’s industrial development.

Obelawo, who made the observation during a recent inspection of one of his factories by the Standards Organisation of Nigeria (SON), stressed that the importation of poor quality goods would thwart efforts to foster the country’s economic development.

“Government should stop the production and importation of substandard products because the buyers are just being hoodwinked to buy products that are not durable.”

“The proliferation of substandard products in our markets is affecting the national economy and is posing serious threats to the survival of indigenous companies.

“The government is also responsible for the problem because its agencies do not buy ‘Made-in-Nigeria’ products and quality goods because of selfish gains,’’ he said.

Obelawo alleged that many contractors handling federal, state and local government contracts were fond of using fake products in the projects, adding: “That is why we often see new buildings collapse.”

Still on the Federal Government policy, Dr David Obi, a member of MAN’s executive council, stressed that the lifting of the ban on the importation of certain categories of second-hand vehicles was an example of policy inconsistency.

Obi, who is also a member of the governing council of the National Automotive Council (NAC), urged the Federal Government to rescind its policy that increased the age of imported vehicles to 15 years, saying it would cause more harm than good.

He said that such a policy was a disincentive to some automobile companies itching to establish vehicle assembly plants in Nigeria, adding that such plants would also create more employment in the country.

Obi urged Nigeria to take a cue from China, a country which started the development of its automotive industry instead of relying on cheaper alternatives offered via the importation of used vehicles.

“In fact, China was offered thousands of used vehicles free of charge by Japan some years ago but China turned down the offer because it would interfere with plans to build its own automotive industry.”

“Nigeria now wants scraps to be brought into the country as vehicles without regard for the development of its automotive industry,’’ he said.

Obi stressed that the Federal Government ought to protect and nurture the development of the country’s automotive industry, urging it to learn lessons from the U.S. government which had always protected the country’s steel industry against unfair competition.

Reacting to the criticisms of the policy, Alhaji Jubril Martins-Kuye, the Minister of Commerce and Industry, said that the new policy on importation of used vehicles was not just to earn more revenue for government but also to make more vehicles available for the citizens.

He noted that neighbouring countries, such as Benin Republic and Togo, had 15 years as the age-limit for imported used vehicles, adding: “Somehow, these vehicles find their way to Nigeria through smuggling.

“And since the vehicles are smuggled into Nigeria, the Federal Government loses the revenue that should normally accrue to it and this is what we want to stop,’’ he said.

Besides, Martins-Kuye stressed that government only lifted the ban on those textiles that were not produced in the country, saying: “We only unbanned the importation of goods, including textiles, that we are not produced locally.’’

The minister pledged the Federal Government’s commitment to promoting Nigeria’s industrialisation, and explained why it had placed appreciable emphasis on the power sector’s reform, so as to make the country more investment-friendly.

All the same, industrialists have been commending the campaign to promote increased patronage of Made-in-Nigeria products, which started in August 2009, as a tonic that would boost the development of the manufacturing sector.

They, nonetheless, insist that the government should make concerted efforts to tackle the country’s energy crisis, saying that the achievement of a stable power supply in the country would play a pivotal role in transforming the national economy.

The experts also urge the government to provide low-interest credit facilities for manufacturers and reduce taxations on manufactured goods, while raising the duties payable on imported items to encourage local production.

All said and done, the experts believe that the development prospects for the manufacturing sector are quite bright in 2010.

 

Grace Yusuf

Continue Reading

Business

Boat Mishap Kills Pastor, Wife And Church Members  In Brass Water

Published

on

A boat accident in Bayelsa state has killed a serving Pastor, Wife and other church members along Brass waterways
The sad incident happened at Odioama in Brass local government area of Bayelsa State when the Pastor, wife and  members of his church were in a programme.
?
?Tide confirmed that the lifeless body of the Pastor’s wife has been found and deposited in a mortuary while the remains of her husband ,the Pastor is yet  to be recovered
as search party are still ongoing.
Although the real cause of the boat Mishap is not yet known as at the time of this report,  our Correspondent gathered  that the identities of the Pastor, wife and church members were not disclosed to the public.
The mishap, Tide gathered occurred on Friday morning when the church members were on a boat transit
The Bayelsa State government and the state police command are yet to issue official statement’s  on the sad accident
By: CHINEDU WOSU
Continue Reading

Business

Rivers Workers Seek Scrapping Of Contributory Pension Scheme

Published

on

The Rivers State Council of  Nigeria Civil Service Union has called on the State Government to urgently scrap the contributory pension scheme, describing it as unfavourable to long-serving civil servants in the state.
Chairman of the union, Chukwuka Osuma, said this in an interview with newsmen in Port Harcourt,  recently.
Osuma said the current pension structure has continued to worsen post-retirement hardship for workers.
He noted that  the contributory pension scheme had failed to provide adequate retirement security for workers who had spent many years in service, especially those approaching retirement age.
According to him, civil servants who had served for more than 20 years were among the worst affected under the scheme, insisting that many retirees could no longer cope with prevailing economic realities.
He also  informed that the Union has made moves to showcase their concerns, pleading with Governor Siminalayi Fubara to abolish the pension policy and introduce a more favourable arrangement for affected workers.
“The union was not opposed to pension reforms, the contributory scheme should only apply to newly employed workers or those with fewer years in service”, he said.
Osuma explained that workers who had already spent decades in the civil service ought to remain under a more secure pension structure capable of guaranteeing stability after retirement.
The labour leader further noted that inflation and the rising cost of living had continued to erode the value of retirement savings, thereby increasing the suffering of pensioners across the country.
He also appealed to the state government to consider extending the years of service in the civil service from 35 to 40 years and the retirement age from 60 to 65 years.
Osuma argued that such adjustment had become necessary in view of present-day economic realities and changing conditions in the workplace.
The unionist also reviewed that similar policies had already been adopted in some sectors and jurisdictions, expressing optimism that the State could also implement the reforms for the benefit of workers.
He however, commended Governor Fubara for approving an N85,000 minimum wage for workers in the state, noting that the amount was above the national benchmark of N70,000.
Osuma also acknowledged the government’s efforts in the area of workers’ promotions and bonuses, but insisted that pension reforms and extension of years of service remained critical to the long-term welfare and stability of civil servants in Rivers State.
By: King Onunwor
Continue Reading

Business

FG Begins South-West Tour To Promote New Cooperative Bank

Published

on

The Federal Government has launched the South-West zonal engagement and ministerial advocacy tour on the Cooperative Bank of Nigeria share capital mobilisation, sensitisation and cooperative sector digitalisation.
 Reports say the initiative was launched through the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security.
According to reports, the advocacy tour, organised by the ministry’s Federal Department of Cooperatives, began on Monday in Lagos.
Speaking at the event, the Minister of State for Agriculture and Food Security and Supervising Minister of Cooperative Affairs, Dr Aliyu Abdullahi, said the initiative was part of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda.
Abdullahi described the exercise as a strategic effort to reposition the cooperative sector as a key driver of inclusive economic growth, financial inclusion, enterprise development, food security and national prosperity.
“Today represents a defining moment in our collective determination to reposition the cooperative sector as a major driver of inclusive economic growth, financial inclusion, enterprise development, food security and national prosperity,” he said.
The minister noted  the modern cooperative movement in Nigeria originated in the South-West following the 1934 Strickland Report, which led to the enactment of the Cooperative Societies Ordinance of 1935.
According to him, the decision to commence the sensitisation and share capital mobilisation tour in the region is symbolic, as it marks a return to the roots of cooperative development in the country.
Abdullahi said the advocacy tour was a direct outcome of resolutions reached at the 8th Regular Meeting of the National Council on Cooperative Affairs held in Abuja in March 2026.
He said the council approved the Renewed Hope Cooperative Reform and Revamp Programme, a comprehensive framework designed to strengthen the cooperative sector and align it with the administration’s goal of building a one-trillion-dollar economy.
“The reform programme focuses on seven strategic pillars, including governance reforms, cooperative financing and the establishment of the Cooperative Bank of Nigeria, digitalisation, capacity building, value chain development, inclusion of youths, women and persons with disabilities, and strategic partnerships,” he said.
He said the establishment of the Cooperative Bank of Nigeria and the digitalisation of the cooperative sector were the two major transformational initiatives under the programme.
“The Cooperative Bank of Nigeria is aimed at rebuilding a strong cooperative financial system capable of supporting cooperators, farmers, artisans, traders, SMEs, youths, women and persons with disabilities with accessible and affordable financial services,” he said.
Abdullahi emphasised that the proposed bank would be government-enabled but not government-funded.
“Government is not establishing the bank as an owner, nor will it rely on Treasury Single Account funds.
“The role of government through the FMAFS is to provide policy support, stakeholder coordination, regulatory facilitation and an enabling environment under the Renewed Hope Cooperative Reform and Revamp Programme,” he said.
Also speaking, the Lagos State Commissioner for Commerce, Cooperatives, Trade and Investment, Mrs Folashade Ambrose-Medebem, reaffirmed the state government’s commitment to cooperative sector transformation.
She described cooperatives as critical tools for promoting inclusive growth, grassroots productivity, food security, financial inclusion and community wealth creation.
Ambrose-Medebem said Lagos State would continue to support reforms and collaborate with stakeholders to ensure the successful implementation of the Renewed Hope Cooperative Reform and Revamp Programme (2025–2030).
“Together, let us build a cooperative ecosystem that is modern, transparent, digitally enabled, financially inclusive and globally competitive.
“Let us build cooperatives that not only mobilise savings, but also mobilise prosperity,” she said.
Continue Reading

Trending