Connect with us

Featured

IPOB Members Burn Police Station In Abia …As Court Remands 30 Supporters In PH Prison …Military Probes Rights Abuses’ Claims

Published

on

Suspected members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) yesterday morning burnt a police station in Abia State and injured one officer, the police spokesperson for the state has told newsmen.
According to the spokesperson, Geoffrey Ogbona, the attack was carried out around 6:30 a.m.
“Ariaria police station (Aba) was burnt down this morning,” Mr. Ogbona said. “The people that did this we are suspecting they are IPOB hoodlums.”
“The people came in their number, besieged the station and one of our police men was beaten up,” the spokesperson said, adding that “but glory be to God, we did not lose the officer’s life.”
Mr. Ogbona said while the violence was underway, the police restrained itself, failing to respond in kind.
“If anything like that had taken place, it would have worsened the situation,” Mr. Ogbona told this newspaper.
He, however, denied the report by Television Continental (TVC) that the Umuahia residence of the commissioner of Police for Abia State was attacked by IPOB on Thursday.
“That of (attack on) the residence of the Commissioner is not true,” he said. “What happened there was that the place is close to the residence of the IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu; so, when people see IPOB members gather around there, they may think something like that (attack) was happening.”
He also confirmed attacks in which the Hausa community in Aba, the commercial nerve centre of the state, was targeted, but said normalcy had been restored, following police intervention.
He said, “When we got wind of this, my commissioner moved to Aba and the issue was addressed. All the Hausa people were assured of their safety and they returned to their businesses.”
However, our source learnt that about 2,000 Hausas, including women and children, are currently held up in a relatively safe place in Aba, afraid for their lives.
The deteriorating situation in Abia, the home state of secessionist leader, Nnamdi Kanu, on Thursday, followed a report that the police lost a sergeant in a clash with secessionists in Rivers State on Wednesday.
But IPOB lawyer, Ifeanyi Ejiofor told our source, that the group “is universally known for non-violent agitation.”
“Anybody indulging in violence is not an IPOB member,” Mr. Ejiofor said.
Meanwhile, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has called for independent investigation of human rights abuses and alleged humiliation of unarmed civilians by soldiers in Abia State. The party made the call in a statement by Mr Dayo Adeyeye, its National Secretary of National Caretaker Committee on Thursday in Abuja.
It said that a video clip of the alleged humiliation of civilians had gone viral.
The party said that though it welcomed Nigerian Army’s initiative to probe the incident, the humiliation of citizens, given the enormity of the allegation, was unacceptable.
“The party hereby calls for the setting up of an independent panel of experts on human rights to ascertain the veracity of this allegation.
“Where they are proven to be true, the PDP demands that all perpetrators as well as those connected, however remotely, be immediately brought to justice.
“This would go a long way to serve as a deterrent and reassure the international community that Nigeria is not a jungle but a decent society where human rights are promoted,’’ it said.
It added that the PDP believed that human life was sacrosanct and must be treated as such by all and sundry.
The PDP said that the right to life and liberty as enshrined in the county’s Constitution and other international conventions must not only be respected and protected, but must be seen to be so.
“The PDP frowns at and condemns violence in all its ramifications and calls on Nigerians, wherever they are, to eschew it and live peacefully with one another,’’ the statement further said.
Meanwhile, a Port Harcourt Chief Magistrate’s Court in Rivers State, has remanded 30 suspected supporters of the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra (IPOB) in the Port Harcourt Maximum Prison Custody.
The remand followed the arraignment of the IPOB supporters by the state Commissioner of Police, Zaki Mohammed Ahmed before Chief Magistrate Amadi Nna-Amadi, yesterday.
The Tide recalls that some supporters of the IPOB were arrested by the police following violence that broke out at the Oyigbo area of the state, wherein a police sergeant was killed and another injured, while shops and properties were destroyed.
Nine of the suspects, who were arrested, last Monday, in connection with the killing of the police officer were arraigned under suit number PMC/1935C/2017 on charges bordering on murder, while the 21 arrested, last Tuesday, were charged in suit number PMC/1938C/2017, with treasonable felony and unlawful assembly.
The charges were not read to the accused and no plea was taken due to the nature of the charges.
In his ruling, the presiding Magistrate, Chief Magistrate Amadi Nna-Amadi, held that pursuant to Section 300 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law, Rivers State, the court has remand powers.
He also stated that the court lacked jurisdiction to try the matter, and therefore, ordered the accused persons be remanded in prison custody while directing the court registrar to remit the case file to the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP) for legal advice.
The matter was later adjourned sine die.
However, counsels to the accused persons, had argued that the police were wrong to have arraigned the suspects before a Magistrate’s Court, knowing that the court lacked jurisdiction to entertain the matter.
In his arguments, counsel to the 8th defendant in the murder charge, E.C. Morka, said the police have the powers to file the matter in a court that has jurisdiction to entertain the matter, pursuant to Section 301 subsection 1, 2 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law of Rivers State.
He further argued that pursuant to Section 18 of the Magistrate Court Law, 2004, the court has the powers to look into the case file of the accused to ascertain whether the accused was properly charged.
He accused the police of arraigning the suspect, especially his client on trump-up charges, and prayed the court to dismiss the charges, instead of sending the case file to the DPP for advice.
On his part, defence counsel to the 8th and 10th defendants in the treasonable felony and unlawful assembly charge, Mr. Nworie, prayed the court to dismiss the charges and send the file to the Chief Judge for assignment of the case rather than remitting it to the DPP for advice.
Nworie, said the charge for which his clients were being accused are capital offence which punishment is death. He said, pursuant to Sections 98 and 99 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law, the police were supposed to file the matter under a Writ of Summons in a competent court of jurisdiction within seven days of the arrest.
However, in his counter arguments, the prosecution counsel, led by the 2IC, Legal, Rivers State Command, DSP Enoch George, prayed the court to discountenance the arguments of the defence counsels.
He said the case was filed for remand purposes and that the Magistrate’s Court has the powers to remand the suspects in prison custody.
In an interview with newsmen after the court session, the prosecution led by George, promised to ensure speedy trial of the matter and for justice to prevail.
In another development, the military has begun an enquiry into allegations of torture of civilians by soldiers on Operation Python Dance in Abia State.
It said that any soldier found to have involved himself in such untoward activities would be dealt with in accordance with military law.
This was contained in a statement issued by the Deputy Director, Public Relations, 82 Division of the Nigerian Army, Col Sagir Musa in Enugu, yesterday.
The statement entitled, “Video Clip Of Alleged Human Rights Violations Trending On Social Media Is Being Investigated,” read, “The attention of the Headquarters, 82 Division, Nigerian Army has been drawn to a video clip trending on social media and other platforms purportedly showing troops humiliating some people at a check point in Abia State, Nigeria.
“The issue is being investigated with a view to ascertaining the source and the actors in the clip. Our Code of Conduct and Rules of Engagement are quite clear and any officer or soldier that infringed on any of such directives if found guilty, will face full wrath of the military justice system.
“We would like to inform the public that 82 Division is also aware of the planned misinformation and propaganda arrangement by the secessionists Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB).
“They intend to churn out pre-recorded video clips aimed at discrediting the Nigerian Army, causing disaffection among the citizens of this country. They will be using bogus, manipulated and photo-shopped photographs as well as video clips. The public should be wary of such mischief, scrutinize and report same to the Nigerian Army or any of security agencies.
“The Division wishes to reassure the public that it is determined to ensuring the safety of lives and properties in its area of operational responsibility, particularly the entire South-East geo-political zone as enshrined in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.
“We do not condone any act of indiscipline in the conduct of our operations and training exercises. Any claim of rights violation would be investigated and when confirmed, appropriate disciplinary action would be taken against the erring personnel,” the statement added.

Continue Reading

Featured

Fubara Dissolves Rivers Executive Council

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminialayi Fubara, has dissolved the State Executive Council.

The governor announced the cabinet dissolution yesterday in a statement titled ‘Government Special Announcement’, signed by his new Chief Press Secretary, Onwuka Nzeshi.

Governor Fubara directed all Commissioners and Special Advisers to hand over to the Permanent Secretaries or the most Senior officers in their Ministries with immediate effect.

He thanked the outgoing members of the State Executive Council for their service and wished them the best in their future endeavours.

The three-paragraph special announcement read, “His Excellency, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, GSSRS, Governor of Rivers State, has dissolved the State Executive Council.

“His Excellency, the Governor, has therefore directed all Commissioners and Special Advisers to hand over to the Permanent Secretaries or  the most Senior officers in their Ministries with immediate effect.

“His Excellency further expresses his deepest appreciation to the outgoing members of the Executive Council wishing them the best in their future endeavours.”

 

Continue Reading

Featured

INEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) yesterday told the National Assembly that it requires N873.78bn to conduct the 2027 general elections, even as it seeks N171bn to fund its operations in the 2026 fiscal year.

INEC Chairman, Prof Joash Amupitan, made the disclosure while presenting the commission’s 2026 budget proposal and the projected cost for the 2027 general elections before the National Assembly Joint Committee on Electoral Matters in Abuja.

According to Amupitan, the N873.78bn election budget covers the full conduct of national polls in 2027.

An additional N171bn is needed to support INEC’s routine activities in 2026, including bye-elections and off-season elections, the commission stated.

The INEC boss said the proposed election budget does not include a fresh request from the National Youth Service Corps seeking increased allowances for corps members engaged as ad-hoc staff during elections.

He explained that, although the details of specific line items were not exhaustively presented, the almost N1tn election budget is structured across five major components.

“N379.75bn is for operational costs, N92.32bn for administrative costs, N209.21bn for technological costs, N154.91bn for election capital costs and N42.61bn for miscellaneous expenses,” Amupitan said.

The INEC chief noted that the budget was prepared “in line with Section 3(3) of the Electoral Act 2022, which mandates the Commission to prepare its election budget at least one year before the general election.”

On the 2026 fiscal year, Amupitan disclosed that the Ministry of Finance provided an envelope of N140bn, stressing, however, that “INEC is proposing a total expenditure of N171bn.”

The breakdown includes N109bn for personnel costs, N18.7bn for overheads, N42.63bn for election-related activities and N1.4bn for capital expenditure.

He argued that the envelope budgeting system is not suitable for the Commission’s operations, noting that INEC’s activities often require urgent and flexible funding.

Amupitan also identified the lack of a dedicated communications network as a major operational challenge, adding that if the commission develops its own network infrastructure, Nigerians would be in a better position to hold it accountable for any technical glitches.

Speaking at the session, Senator Adams Oshiomhole (APC, Edo North) said external agencies should not dictate the budgeting framework for INEC, given the unique and sensitive nature of its mandate.

He advocated that the envelope budgeting model should be set aside.

He urged the National Assembly to work with INEC’s financial proposal to avoid future instances of possible underfunding.

In the same vein, a member of the House of Representatives from Edo State, Billy Osawaru, called for INEC’s budget to be placed on first-line charge as provided in the Constitution, with funds released in full and on time to enable the Commission to plan early enough for the 2027 general election.

The Joint Committee approved a motion recommending the one-time release of the Commission’s annual budget.

The committee also said it would consider the NYSC’s request for about N32bn to increase allowances for corps members to N125,000 each when engaged for election duties.

The Chairman of the Senate Committee on INEC, Senator Simon Along, assured that the National Assembly would work closely with the Commission to ensure it receives the necessary support for the successful conduct of the 2027 general elections.

Similarly, the Chairman of the House Committee on Electoral Matters, Bayo Balogun, also pledged legislative support, warning INEC to be careful about promises it might be unable to keep.

He recalled that during the 2023 general election, INEC made strong assurances about uploading results to the INEC Result Viewing portal, creating the impression that results could be monitored in real time.

“iREV was not even in the Electoral Act; it was only in INEC regulations. So, be careful how you make promises,” Balogun warned.

The N873.78bn proposed by INEC for next year’s general election is a significant increase from the N313.4bn released to the Commission by the Federal Government for the conduct of the 2023 general election.

Continue Reading

Featured

Tinubu Mourns Literary Icon, Biodun Jeyifo

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu yesterday expressed grief over the death of a former President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities and one of Africa’s foremost literary scholars, Professor Emeritus Biodun Jeyifo.

Jeyifo passed away on Wednesday, drawing tributes from across Nigeria and the global academic community.

In a condolence message to the family, friends, and associates of the late scholar, Tinubu in a statement by his spokesperson, Bayo Onanuga,  described Jeyifo as a towering intellectual whose contributions to African literature, postcolonial studies, and cultural theory left an enduring legacy.

He noted that the late professor would be sorely missed for his incisive criticism and masterful interpretations of the works of Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka.

The President also recalled Jeyifo’s leadership of ASUU, praising the temperance, foresight, and wisdom he brought to the union over the years.

Tinubu said Jeyifo played a key role in shaping negotiation frameworks with the government aimed at improving working conditions for university staff and enhancing the learning environment in Nigerian universities.

According to the President, Professor Jeyifo’s longstanding advocacy for academic freedom and social justice will continue to inspire generations.

He added that the late scholar’s influence extended beyond academia into political and cultural journalism, where he served as a mentor to numerous scholars, writers, and activists.

Tinubu condoled with ASUU, the Nigerian Academy of Letters, the Wole Soyinka Centre for Investigative Journalism, the University of Ibadan, Obafemi Awolowo University, Oberlin University, Cornell University, and Harvard University—institutions where Jeyifo studied, taught, or made significant scholarly contributions.

“Nigeria and the global academic community have lost a towering figure and outstanding global citizen,” the President said.

“Professor Biodun Jeyifo was an intellectual giant who dedicated his entire life to knowledge production and the promotion of human dignity. I share a strong personal relationship with him. His contributions to literary and cultural advancement and to society at large will be missed.”

Jeyifo was widely regarded as one of Africa’s most influential literary critics and public intellectuals. Among several honours, he received the prestigious W.E.B. Du Bois Medal in 2019.

Continue Reading

Trending