Politics
Card Reader: As Controversy Rages On

A House of Assembly candidate of Peoples Democratic Party in Mushin Local Government Area, Mr Lekan Fijabi with others (left), testing the workings of Card Readers in Onigbongbo Ward, Ikeja LGA, Lagos, recently.
Of all the innovations
the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) under Prof. Attahiru Jega came up with, the use of the Smart Card Readers (SCR) for the forthcoming general elections appears to be most controversial. Barely 13 days to the polls, the controversy still rages on.
There is hardly any issue regarding the execution of the 2015 general elections that has elicited as much naivety and contradictory reactions from key actors as the CR. Not even the postponement of the elections from the initial February 14 and 28. The bone of contention has been whether to use the CR or not.
The political class has been perplexed, particularly since the demonstration of the use of the CR in selected states of the country penultimate weekend:While those against using it find it difficult to openly come out to denounce the device, given its effective blockage of fake Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs), others in support of the use of the device were also constrained by the shortcomings associated with it, as seen in its failure to effectively read the thumbprints of a significant number of potential voters in many places it was used.
Key stakeholders have taken divergent positions on the device. For the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), its Chairman, Professor Attahiru Jega, said there is no going back on the use of the CR, because”the cards would stop multiple voting by ensuring that only possessors of the PVCs can vote at voting points where the PVCs are programmed to”.
His Chief Press Secretary, Mr.Kayode Idowu explained that”nothing happened during the mock election to warrant going back on the use of card readers for the general elections. The deployment of the card readers was successful and even international observers from the UN have attested to it.Contrary to some claims, only one case of card reader challenge was recorded at our Situation Room and it was a human thing.
“Concerning some alleged hitches, there were guidelines on what to do at any polling unit to make sure that an eligible voter is allowed to exercise his or her right.
“The flaws being claimed were anticipated. The states where fingerprints were not authenticated had the PVC incident form procedure, it was agreed with political parties that the form will be filled.”
Meanwhile, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) had, following the trial-run of the CR, expressed reservations, noting difficulties in the accreditation through the failure of the biometric confirmation among some voters. Governors of PDP- controlled states were the first to oppose it.
The governors said they are opposed to the use of the machine because it has proved to be ineffective and hence constitutes a burden to the accreditation process. They met in Lagos last week, and vowed to scuttle any attempt by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) to use the devise in the March 28 and April 11 elections.
Their reasons, given at different fora, have semblance with the stand taken by youths under the aegis of Middle Belt Concerned Youths who staged a protest at the headquarters of INEC in Abuja against the use of PVCs and the card readers for the elections.
Their take was that “judging from what transpired during the (CR test-run) exercise, it has been proven that batteries of the card readers do not function for more than three hours. The question therefore is, what happens if the battery fails during the election proper, especially in the rural areas?”
However, the All Progressives Congress (APC), the major opposition, on its part, said it was satisfied with the device and urged the commission to go ahead with the use of the card readers.The party noted that the opposition to the use of CR in the coming elections was an indication that those in the corridors of power see the machine as the nemesis of those opposed to the idea of a free and fair election.
From the perspective of the APC, “Only dishonest politicians, those who plan to rig, those who have engaged in a massive purchase of PVCs and those who have something to hide are opposed to use of the machine.
“For the avoidance of doubt, our party is ready for any tool, including the card reader that will ensure that the votes of Nigerians will count in the election…The card reader has been demonstrated to work, including at the Senate, and no one must come out to tell Nigerians anything to the contrary.”
While supporting the APC stand, the National Chairman of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) and senatorial candidate for Anambra Central Senatorial Zone, Chief Victor Umeh, said his party is throwing its weight behind the use of CR in the 2015 general elections.
“The use of card reader is a sure way of fighting election rigging, especially when it is known that some politicians prefer to use a system that would make it possible for them to write results that would favour them as they had done in the past. APGA is in support of free, fair and credible election and the use of card reader can guarantee free and fair election, which is why we are supporting it”, he said.
While acknowledging the challenges noticed during the test-run of the CR, the electoral umpire has assured Nigerians that all hope is not lost, as voters whose thumbprints are not read by the CR could still vote but would have to fill an incident report form to reflect the development.
This position is, however, viewed as a connivance between the APC and INEC by those who opposed the use of the CR, as represented by the PDP, whose scepticism was expressly stated by the Middle Belt Concerned Youths.
“The simple fact that APC and INEC are on the same page on the use of PVCs and card readers speaks volumes about their plan to rig the forthcoming polls, which all right-thinking and well-meaning Nigerians must resist with vigour”, they said.
According to the group, those that claim that the electronic machines did not fail during the mock exercise in their states “are simply playing to the gallery; it is a cover-up and a far cry from the ugly reality starring everybody in the face”.
The group summarized its stand thus: “In as much as we appreciate the steadfastness and enormous innovations introduced by INEC to bequeath free and fair elections to the nation, it is still the contention of majority of Nigerians that such efforts must not be sacrificed on the altar of a fool-hardy insistence of proceeding with the use of PVCs, despite the glaring imperfections inherent in them. Insisting on using them for the elections will only end up disenfranchising a huge segment of Nigeria’s voting population.
“We frown at this orchestrated plot to disenfranchise a high number of eligible Nigerian voters by INEC as epitomised in its determination to go ahead with the use of PVCs and card readers regardless of the genuine concerns expressed by relevant stakeholders in the polity, a development that is likely to compromise the integrity of the elections.
“Unlike the TVCs, which are easy to obtain and use during elections, PVCs are a bit technically complicated for an average rural dweller. Instead of this straight-jacketed insistence of using PVCs and card readers, INEC should rather be thinking of fashioning out alternative measures of ensuring the success of the elections that will not only be acceptable to Nigerians, but also meet international standards”.
The stands taken by all concerned party show that while they all agree that INEC should conduct free, fair and credible elections, they are sceptical about the support of the other party for a process, in this case, the use of the card reader, which INEC says will checkmate rigging.
The stand of the opposition to the use of the CR is that it will disenfranchise a notable population of voters. The question that readily comes to mind is, what informed the esoteric belief and consequent apprehension that this population that may be so disenfranchised will all be supporters of the PDP, which is spearheading the opposition against the use of the card reader?
Beyond winning the election, it is high time political parties stood for enthronement of real democracy and electoral system that would stand the test of time. They should therefore know that given the innovations of theINEC under the chairmanship of Professor Jega, what the electoral body needs now is suggestions on have to confront the challenges noticed in the use of the CR.
Consequently, all stakeholders should be thinking of fashioning out alternative measures of ensuring the success of the elections that will not only be acceptable to Nigerians, but also meet international standards.
Soibi Max-Alalibo
Politics
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
Rt Hon. Abbas secured the party’s ticket through an affirmation exercise conducted across the 13 electoral wards in the constituency.
The wards involved include Kwarbai A, Kwarbai B, Limancin-Kona, Unguwar Fatika, Unguwar Juma, Dutsen Abba, Gyallesu, Kufena, Dambo, Wuchichiri, Tudun Wada, Tukur-Tukur, and Kaura.
The exercise, which began simultaneously in all wards at about 10 a.m., recorded large turnout of APC members who gathered at various party offices across the constituency.
At Kwarbai B Ward, the Speaker’s ward, the process was conducted peacefully under the supervision of the ward APC Returning Officer, Malam Iliyasu Muhammad Balarabe, in the presence of Rt Hon. Abbas.
According to the ward APC secretary, Nafiu Sabo, the ward has over 10,000 registered members, but 220 members were accredited for the exercise.
Before the affirmation, Mallam Balarabe informed members that Rt Hon Abbas was the only aspirant who purchased nomination forms, underwent screening, and was cleared by the APC national leadership to contest the Zaria Federal Constituency seat.
Following a voice vote by accredited members, the Speaker was affirmed as the party’s candidate in the ward, a process replicated across the remaining 12 wards.
At the constituency collation centre, the APC Returning Officer for the House of Representatives primary in Zaria Federal Constituency, Dr. Hamisu Ibrahim Kubau, announced that 1,376 APC members across the 13 wards endorsed Rt Hon. Abbas as the party’s flag bearer.
He explained that although thousands of party members participated in the exercise, only accredited delegates were allowed to vote.
Dr. Kubau declared: “There are 13 wards in Zaria Federal Constituency, and only one aspirant purchased a form, was screened, and cleared. He is Rt. Hon. Abbas Tajudeen. After due process, we conducted affirmations across all wards.”
He added that the process was peaceful and monitored by officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and party representatives.
Chairman of the APC House of Representatives Primary Elections in Kaduna State, Senator Yakubu Oseni, described the outcome as a reflection of the Speaker’s popularity and acceptance among constituents.
He expressed confidence that Rt Hon Abbas would secure victory in the 2027 general elections.
Speaking after his declaration, Rt Hon. Abbas expressed appreciation to APC members for reaffirming their confidence in him.
Politics
C’River APC Reps Members Cry Foul, Describe Primary Election As Charade
The incumbent Reps including Emily Inyang and Godwin Offionio, in separate interviews
protested the handling of the primaries conducted by the leadership of the party in the state, saying it was skewed against them.
The aspirants further described the primaries as a charade and an embarrassment to the state.
According to them, the House of Representatives primaries fell short of the provisions of both the Electoral Act as amended in 2026 and the party’s constitution.
They accused the leadership of the party in the state, backed by Governor Bassey Otu, of violating the party’s constitution in the conduct of the House of Representatives primaries across the state on Saturday.
Hon. Godwin Offiono, representing Ogoja/Yala Federal Constituency, particularly expressed disappointment with the primary that allegedly disenfranchised registered members of the party in his constituency.
Hon. Offiono asserted that having failed to arrive at a consensus, the party leadership opted for a direct primary to decide the candidate for the 2027 election.
“But what I witnessed today was not only alarming, but quite disheartening that our electoral system have not shown any improvement, especially now that we have a man of God in the person of the governor as the leader of the party.
“How do you declare a result by 9:00am even when the electoral materials were yet to arrive at Yala.
“As an aspirant, I couldn’t even vote or see the materials for my own primary at my Okuku ward in Yala Local Government Area, where I come from. But no matter what happens I am still in the race and have not stepped down for anybody.
“The governor had all the time in the world to drive the process of consensus but he never did. As a representative, I cannot even see my governor. I called, no response. I sent text no reply. I am treated as an out cast,” he lamented.
In an emotion laden tone during a telephone interview, Hon. Offiono further said: “I could not believe that first term NASS members like me can be treated in this shoddy manner even when I don’t know my offence.
“I have been a loyal party man. I appeal to the governor to do the right thing, follow the Electoral Act and party constitution in electing representatives.”
Similarly, Hon. Emil Inyang of Akamkpa/Biase Federal Constituency said he still remained in the race and had not stepped down for anybody.
According to him, “If this shenanigan called primary is allowed to stand, it would affect the party’s fortune in the general elections.
“My appeal to the governor is to allow the people to decide. And if they so voted against me, I will rest and not fight over anything.
“There was no stakeholders meeting held to decide on anything before now, and someone can not be unilaterally imposed on us all in the name of compromised primary,” he stated.
Politics
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
A coalition of support groups within the All Progressives Congress (APC) has protested the disqualification of former presidential aspirant, Mr Tein Jack-Rich, from the Rivers West Senatorial race ahead of the party’s primaries for the 2027 general elections.
The groups, in a statement issued on Saturday morning in Abuja, described the action of the party’s screening committee as unjust and capable of worsening internal divisions within the APC in Rivers State.
The statement, signed by the coalition’s National Coordinator, Dr. Bilal Galadima, and General Secretary, Hon. James Ogenyi, accused the party leadership in Rivers State of favouring politicians loyal to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Chief Nyesom Wike, while sidelining long-standing members of the APC.
The coalition alleged that only aspirants aligned with Chief Wike were cleared to contest for elective positions in the state.
“How can our party allow only one man who is not a member of our party to make decisions or dictate the direction of our party?”, the group queried.
The coalition specifically faulted the exclusion of Mr Jack-Rich, describing him as a loyal party member who had supported the APC for more than 13 years and previously contested the party’s presidential ticket.
It also questioned the alleged clearance of Chief Felix Obua, whom it described as a recent entrant into the party and an ally of Chief Wike.
“How can our party disqualify Jack-Rich, a former presidential aspirant who has been loyal and supported our party for the last 13 years, only for our party to choose Felix Obua, a Wike loyalist who only joined the party three months ago?”, the statement read.
The group warned that failure by the APC leadership and National Working Committee (NWC) to address the matter as it could weaken the party’s structure in Rivers State ahead of the 2027 elections.
It called on party leaders to uphold internal democracy, reward loyalty and ensure a level playing field for all aspirants.
INEC TO BEGIN MEMBERSHIP VERIFICATION AS POLITICAL PARTIES SUBMIT REGISTER
All 22 registered political parties have successfully submitted their membership registers to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in compliance with the Electoral Act 2026, the Commission has said.
In a statement issued on Friday, Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Mr Mohammed Haruna, said the submission followed the extension granted by the Commission after political parties raised concerns during a meeting on Tuesday, March 24, 2026, regarding the timeline provided in the Revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the 2027 general elections.
He said, “The Commission is pleased to note that all registered parties submitted their registers as of 8th May 2026, two days before the extended deadline.”
He recalled that following a meeting with political parties, the Commission, in a statement issued on the 27th of March, 2026, adjusted the deadline for the submission of party registers from 21st April 2026 to 10th May 2026 to align with the provisions of Section 77(4) of the Electoral Act 2026 and the actual dates fixed by political parties for their primaries.
Mr Haruna noted that political parties were accordingly allowed to conduct their primaries within the approved period from 23rd April 2026 to 30th May 2026, while the register of party members was required to be submitted to the Commission not later than 21 days before the conduct of their respective primaries.
He added, “INEC wishes to state that all registered political parties complied with the requirement within the extended timeframe and will subject the submitted registers to the necessary verification processes in line with the law.”
The Commission restated its commitment to the conduct of free, fair, credible and inclusive elections.
-
Maritime4 hours agoProducts, Others, To Arrive Lagos Ports Today — MPA
-
Environment3 hours agoMOSOP – Tinubu Not Sincere With Ogoni People For Oil Resumption
-
Oil & Energy3 hours agoSEED: FG To Train 6,000 Energy Professionals
-
Environment3 hours agoNEWSAN Urges Investment For Water And Sanitation services
-
Environment3 hours agoNGOs Task Media On Investing In Climate Literacy
-
Oil & Energy3 hours ago‘Trans Niger Pipeline Records Zero Infraction ‘ ……..As FG Hits 99.2% OPEC Target
-
Politics3 hours ago
Primaries: Diri Lauds APC’s Unity, Cohesion In Bayelsa
-
Maritime4 hours agoLagos Records Major Gains In Road, Rail, Water Transport —Osiyemi
