Politics
There Are Consequences For Disloyalty, Fubara Warns LG Chairmen
Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, on Thursday sent a startling reminder to local government chairmen in the State and other detractors working against his administration to consider their disloyalty as digging their own pits.
The Governor, however, assured that such acts of sabotage would not in anyway deter his administration from staying focused on delivering people-oriented projects in the State.
Gov Fubara spoke at Ndoni Town in Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni Local Government Area while commissioning a brand new health centre built and donated by former Governor of Rivers State, Dr Peter Odili.
“Everyone of you who thinks you’re disrespecting me, you’ve already dug your pit. For those of you who have chosen a contrary path of political salvation, safe journey, we’ll flow in a direction that we’ll get to our destination, we’ve made our people proud.
“They say we’re clueless; if providing quality education, health services is being clueless, then we agree. We’ll not do road to our farms, we’ll not do road because we want to please some body.
It’s not about the roads and the flyovers but the people.
“We made promise to Mr President to support him and we are doing that by ensuring we implement projects that will be beneficial to the people. We’re doing it in housing, healthcare…, we’ll not record anything that will cut short the life of any one in the society. My administration is open to constructive criticism and we are determined to build an egalitarian society”, he said.
Governor Fubara who emphasised the importance of effective healthcare delivery system to his administration, commended the efforts of Dr Odili in building the health facility with his personal resources, describing the effort as a show of love for his people and giving back to society.
The Governor who decried the non-functionality of primary healthcare facilities in Rivers State, urged the people of Ndoni to own, protect and maintain the newly commissioned health centre for optimal benefits, assuring that the needed manpower will be provided to run the facility.
Governor Fubara reiterated the commitment of his administration to ensure that zonal hospitals in the State, currently in a state of abandonment, are put to use, and urged contractors handling the projects across the 23 local government areas to return to site immediately.
Earlier in his remark, former Governor of Rivers State, Dr Peter Odili, thanked the Governor for honouring the invitation to commission the health centre and congratulated Governor Fubara on his election victory and it’s affirmation by the Supreme Court.
Dr Odili, who is the Proprietor of PAMO University, said the building of the health facility was his humble response to the damage done by flooding to the old health centre.
Dr Odili affirmed Governor Fubara as the political leader of Rivers State, and urged the governor to remain firm and stand up to his oath of office to defend the interest of Rivers people according to the provisions of the Constitution and with the courage of a lion.
“You’ve hit the ground running in governance by touching all critical sectors. Continue to work for the good of the people. Human being is the soul of the society.
“You’re the political leader of Rivers State, Rivers people say where ever you go, we’ll go with you, where you stand, we’ll stand with you”, he said.
In his address, the Executive Secretary of the Rivers State Primary Health Care Management Board, Prof Kinikanwo Green, thanked Dr Odili for building and donating the health facility to Rivers State Government.
He pointed out that the gesture was in line with Governor Fubara’s policy on effective healthcare delivery in Rivers State, particularly at the grassroots .
The Commissioner Health, Dr Adaeze Oreh, said the facility was equipped with state-of-the-art facilities to address health challenges in the community and other catchment areas.
She explained that the facility will render essential services in antenatal, labour/ delivery, immunization, HIV, non communicable diseases, family planning and free medicare for vulnerable persons.
Governor Fubara, on Friday received a delegation of the leadership of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) led by its National President, Dr Uche Ojinmah, on a courtesy visit at Government House, Port Harcourt.
The Governor who restated the commitment of his administration to reviving the health sector in the state, confirmed the appointment of Prof. Chizindu Dike Alikor as the substantive Chief Medical Director of Rivers State University Teaching Hospital (RSUTH).
“The Governor and his team cannot succeed without your support. That is the truth, and any government that has the interest of its people at heart must pay adequate attention to the provision of quality healthcare services.
He explained that health facilities, particularly those that provide intermediary services were being rebuilt and strengthened, while zonal hospitals would be revived and personnel adequately motivated to scale up their productive capacities.
“I will put it this way: I want to appreciate the NMA – both national and state chapter – for your support, your patience. I know it wasn’t easy, it has never been easy for them even with what we have done, it’s still not sufficient. We need to do more.
“I want to thank you for your support, and we, on our part, will continue to do our best to ensure that, at least, the relationship between us does not go bad,” the governor said.
In his speech, the National President of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA), Dr Uche Ojinmah, said he led the delegation to thank Governor Fubara for what he has done to better the lot of medical personnel in Rivers State.
Also speaking, State Chairman of NMA, Dr Ebi Robinson, said they wrote their national body to inform them what they have started enjoying under the leadership of Governor Fubara.
In similar vein, Governor Fubara on Wednesday, received the management team of the Federal Housing Authority of Nigeria (FHAN) led by the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Hon. Oyetunde Ojo, who paid him a courtesy visit at Government House.
“We are thinking in the same line with Mr President. In our dear State, some months back, we did flag off a 20,000 housing units project, specifically for low income earners. What is the purpose: how many persons can afford housing in the GRAs? Just a few of us. We need to make provision for our civil servants. We need to make provision for our traders and taxi drivers. We need to make provision for our teachers and other classes of workers. That is what gave birth to that programme. And I am happy to say it today, that the project is ongoing, and there is evidence of seriousness to that”, the governor said.
He described the Government of President Bola Tinubu as people-oriented, given the seriousness the FHA attaches to ensuring the success of the project in collaboration with the State Government, and assured of his administration’s commitment to give the necessary support for the success of the project.
Earlier, the Managing Director/CEO, Federal Housing Authority of Nigeria, said they were at Government House to pay a courtesy visit on the Governor as well as intimate him on Mr President’s mandate to the authority to provide affordable housing to Nigerians as encapsulated in the Renewed Hope Agenda.
Governor Fubara on Monday also hosted the leadership of the Inter-Party Advisory Council (IPAC), Rivers State Chapter, led by its Chairman, Barrister Sensei Solsuema Osaro, at Government House in Port Harcourt.
Addressing the IPAC delegation, the Governor said with elections over, effective governance and dispensing of democratic dividends was the major task before his administration.
“So, we are happy to identify with you. We are assuring you, even when you leave here, criticise me, I don’t have problem with that, it is meant to spur me to do well. We will continue to give you the freedom. We will not cage anybody. We will not revoke your property”, he said.
In his remark, the chairman of IPAC in Rivers State Barr Sensei Solsuema Osaro said the body was impressed by the people oriented style of governance of Governor Fubara and passed a vote of confidence on him.
The Governor, also within the week under review, hosted a delegation of Rivers State Council for Islamic Affairs, led by the Vice President-General, Alhaji Nasir Awhelebe Uhor, in Government House Port Harcourt.
Governor Fubara while addressing the delegation explained the decisive actions of his administration to revive the ailing sectors of the Rivers economy, particularly the education sector which suffered palpable rot in the immediate past.
He congratulated the Muslim community for the successful completion of their Ramadan fasting, and thanked them for their prayers and support to his administration, especially in mediating and addressing the challenges of farmers/ herders clashes in the state, and assured them of providing the enabling environment for Muslims to practice their faith.
In his address, leader of the delegation and Vice President-General, Rivers State Council for Islamic Affairs, Alhaji Nasir Awhelebe Uhor, thanked Governor Fubara for his financial support that enabled them to participate in Hajj last year, and his inclusive policy that has given the community a sense of belonging.
By: Taneh Beemene
Politics
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
Rt Hon. Abbas secured the party’s ticket through an affirmation exercise conducted across the 13 electoral wards in the constituency.
The wards involved include Kwarbai A, Kwarbai B, Limancin-Kona, Unguwar Fatika, Unguwar Juma, Dutsen Abba, Gyallesu, Kufena, Dambo, Wuchichiri, Tudun Wada, Tukur-Tukur, and Kaura.
The exercise, which began simultaneously in all wards at about 10 a.m., recorded large turnout of APC members who gathered at various party offices across the constituency.
At Kwarbai B Ward, the Speaker’s ward, the process was conducted peacefully under the supervision of the ward APC Returning Officer, Malam Iliyasu Muhammad Balarabe, in the presence of Rt Hon. Abbas.
According to the ward APC secretary, Nafiu Sabo, the ward has over 10,000 registered members, but 220 members were accredited for the exercise.
Before the affirmation, Mallam Balarabe informed members that Rt Hon Abbas was the only aspirant who purchased nomination forms, underwent screening, and was cleared by the APC national leadership to contest the Zaria Federal Constituency seat.
Following a voice vote by accredited members, the Speaker was affirmed as the party’s candidate in the ward, a process replicated across the remaining 12 wards.
At the constituency collation centre, the APC Returning Officer for the House of Representatives primary in Zaria Federal Constituency, Dr. Hamisu Ibrahim Kubau, announced that 1,376 APC members across the 13 wards endorsed Rt Hon. Abbas as the party’s flag bearer.
He explained that although thousands of party members participated in the exercise, only accredited delegates were allowed to vote.
Dr. Kubau declared: “There are 13 wards in Zaria Federal Constituency, and only one aspirant purchased a form, was screened, and cleared. He is Rt. Hon. Abbas Tajudeen. After due process, we conducted affirmations across all wards.”
He added that the process was peaceful and monitored by officials of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and party representatives.
Chairman of the APC House of Representatives Primary Elections in Kaduna State, Senator Yakubu Oseni, described the outcome as a reflection of the Speaker’s popularity and acceptance among constituents.
He expressed confidence that Rt Hon Abbas would secure victory in the 2027 general elections.
Speaking after his declaration, Rt Hon. Abbas expressed appreciation to APC members for reaffirming their confidence in him.
Politics
C’River APC Reps Members Cry Foul, Describe Primary Election As Charade
The incumbent Reps including Emily Inyang and Godwin Offionio, in separate interviews
protested the handling of the primaries conducted by the leadership of the party in the state, saying it was skewed against them.
The aspirants further described the primaries as a charade and an embarrassment to the state.
According to them, the House of Representatives primaries fell short of the provisions of both the Electoral Act as amended in 2026 and the party’s constitution.
They accused the leadership of the party in the state, backed by Governor Bassey Otu, of violating the party’s constitution in the conduct of the House of Representatives primaries across the state on Saturday.
Hon. Godwin Offiono, representing Ogoja/Yala Federal Constituency, particularly expressed disappointment with the primary that allegedly disenfranchised registered members of the party in his constituency.
Hon. Offiono asserted that having failed to arrive at a consensus, the party leadership opted for a direct primary to decide the candidate for the 2027 election.
“But what I witnessed today was not only alarming, but quite disheartening that our electoral system have not shown any improvement, especially now that we have a man of God in the person of the governor as the leader of the party.
“How do you declare a result by 9:00am even when the electoral materials were yet to arrive at Yala.
“As an aspirant, I couldn’t even vote or see the materials for my own primary at my Okuku ward in Yala Local Government Area, where I come from. But no matter what happens I am still in the race and have not stepped down for anybody.
“The governor had all the time in the world to drive the process of consensus but he never did. As a representative, I cannot even see my governor. I called, no response. I sent text no reply. I am treated as an out cast,” he lamented.
In an emotion laden tone during a telephone interview, Hon. Offiono further said: “I could not believe that first term NASS members like me can be treated in this shoddy manner even when I don’t know my offence.
“I have been a loyal party man. I appeal to the governor to do the right thing, follow the Electoral Act and party constitution in electing representatives.”
Similarly, Hon. Emil Inyang of Akamkpa/Biase Federal Constituency said he still remained in the race and had not stepped down for anybody.
According to him, “If this shenanigan called primary is allowed to stand, it would affect the party’s fortune in the general elections.
“My appeal to the governor is to allow the people to decide. And if they so voted against me, I will rest and not fight over anything.
“There was no stakeholders meeting held to decide on anything before now, and someone can not be unilaterally imposed on us all in the name of compromised primary,” he stated.
Politics
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
A coalition of support groups within the All Progressives Congress (APC) has protested the disqualification of former presidential aspirant, Mr Tein Jack-Rich, from the Rivers West Senatorial race ahead of the party’s primaries for the 2027 general elections.
The groups, in a statement issued on Saturday morning in Abuja, described the action of the party’s screening committee as unjust and capable of worsening internal divisions within the APC in Rivers State.
The statement, signed by the coalition’s National Coordinator, Dr. Bilal Galadima, and General Secretary, Hon. James Ogenyi, accused the party leadership in Rivers State of favouring politicians loyal to the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Chief Nyesom Wike, while sidelining long-standing members of the APC.
The coalition alleged that only aspirants aligned with Chief Wike were cleared to contest for elective positions in the state.
“How can our party allow only one man who is not a member of our party to make decisions or dictate the direction of our party?”, the group queried.
The coalition specifically faulted the exclusion of Mr Jack-Rich, describing him as a loyal party member who had supported the APC for more than 13 years and previously contested the party’s presidential ticket.
It also questioned the alleged clearance of Chief Felix Obua, whom it described as a recent entrant into the party and an ally of Chief Wike.
“How can our party disqualify Jack-Rich, a former presidential aspirant who has been loyal and supported our party for the last 13 years, only for our party to choose Felix Obua, a Wike loyalist who only joined the party three months ago?”, the statement read.
The group warned that failure by the APC leadership and National Working Committee (NWC) to address the matter as it could weaken the party’s structure in Rivers State ahead of the 2027 elections.
It called on party leaders to uphold internal democracy, reward loyalty and ensure a level playing field for all aspirants.
INEC TO BEGIN MEMBERSHIP VERIFICATION AS POLITICAL PARTIES SUBMIT REGISTER
All 22 registered political parties have successfully submitted their membership registers to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in compliance with the Electoral Act 2026, the Commission has said.
In a statement issued on Friday, Chairman, Information and Voter Education Committee, Mr Mohammed Haruna, said the submission followed the extension granted by the Commission after political parties raised concerns during a meeting on Tuesday, March 24, 2026, regarding the timeline provided in the Revised Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the 2027 general elections.
He said, “The Commission is pleased to note that all registered parties submitted their registers as of 8th May 2026, two days before the extended deadline.”
He recalled that following a meeting with political parties, the Commission, in a statement issued on the 27th of March, 2026, adjusted the deadline for the submission of party registers from 21st April 2026 to 10th May 2026 to align with the provisions of Section 77(4) of the Electoral Act 2026 and the actual dates fixed by political parties for their primaries.
Mr Haruna noted that political parties were accordingly allowed to conduct their primaries within the approved period from 23rd April 2026 to 30th May 2026, while the register of party members was required to be submitted to the Commission not later than 21 days before the conduct of their respective primaries.
He added, “INEC wishes to state that all registered political parties complied with the requirement within the extended timeframe and will subject the submitted registers to the necessary verification processes in line with the law.”
The Commission restated its commitment to the conduct of free, fair, credible and inclusive elections.
-
Editorial3 days agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Nation2 days agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Holds Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Oil & Energy2 days agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Sports3 days agoOparaodu Urges Rivers United To Win Katsina United
-
Politics3 days ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Politics3 days ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
-
Sports3 days ago” Nigeria’s best domestic players are not in NPFL”
-
Politics3 days ago
Primaries: Diri Lauds APC’s Unity, Cohesion In Bayelsa
