Connect with us

Niger Delta

Diri Charges Lawyers On Integrity Of Justice Delivery System …As Judiciary Rakes In N33,016,448.00, Disposes 2,575 Cases

Published

on

Bayelsa State Governor, Douyi Diri has urged legal practitioners in Nigeria to refrain from making condemnatory statements on court judgments in the media, and putting a huge question mark on the integrity of the Nigerian judicial system.
He gave the charge at a ceremonial court session in Yenagoa, on Friday, to mark the commencement of the 2023-2024 Legal Year in the state.
Represented by his Deputy, Senator Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo, Diri said the practice among lawyers to speak to the press after court judgments, often condemning such rulings, undermines the integrity of the Nigerian judiciary.
The Bayelsa Chief Executive, therefore, called on legal practitioners to stop what he called “the practice of law in the media”, noting that whatever they use to qualify a court judgment, that is what the public would call it.
He stressed that there was no need for lawyers and their clients to make unguarded and disparaging comments about unfavourable court rulings as they have opportunity for appeal up to the Supreme Court.
Senator Diri, however, called on members of the Bench to be above board in their judgments to protect the image of the judiciary as the hope of the common man.
A Statement from the Deputy Governor’s media aide, Mr Doubara Atasi, quoted him as saying the act destroys the notion of the Judiciary being the last hope of the common man.
He also noted that as a people and a country, everything necessary should be put in place to improve the dispensation of justice in the Nigerian justice system.
”The first people who give the impression that justice has been miscarried are lawyers. The lawyers are the first to come out of the court to address the press, condemning court judgments.
“Whatever you call the judgment that comes out of the court, that is exactly what the public ends up calling it. I really want us to caution ourselves. Let us stop the media practice of law in our country to safeguard the integrity of the justice system.
“We need, as a people and as a country, to see what we can do to improve on what we dispense out. And to that extent, I am talking to the judges and judicial officers that make up the bench”, he said.
Meanwhile, the Chief Judge of the State, Justice Matilda Abrakasa Ayemieye, has said the state Judiciary during the preceding 2022/2023 legal year raked in N33,016,448.00 in revenue, while also disposing 2,575 cases.
“In the course of our operations in the outgone legal year, the total sum of N33,016,448.00 only, was generated as income accruing from filing fees, fines and forfeiture of bonds.
“As with the cases, the revenue for the year was slightly lower than last year due to the reasons already advanced. Without doubt, we expect to record an improvement this year.
“All we’ve achieved were possible because of the vision of the past leadership of the Judiciary and the unwavering support from the State Government, particularly the prosperity administration of our miracle Governor, Distinguished Senator Douye Diri.
“Our Mission in the last one year was to consolidate on the gains we have made and open up new frontiers. Specifically, we’ve commenced the accessibility project across the State. This project is to bring the speedy and effective dispensation of justice closer to the people of Bayelsa State.
“Efforts are currently ongoing to open all Courts outside Yenagoa to increase accessibility and reduce the cost of litigation. We’ve commenced work on the renovation of both the Magistrate and High Courts in Kaiama. Ogbia and Sagbama High Courts will follow in a matter of days.
“It is our hope that by the end of the current year, all Courts sitting outside their designated places of session would be fully relocated”, she said.
According to her, a total of 2,577 cases were pending at the commencement of the past year and were brought forward, while the total number of cases filed within the year under review was 2,834.
The total number of cases disposed of, he continued, were 2,575, noting also that total number of pending cases at the end of the year stood at 2,850, respectively.
The Chief Judge stressed that the figures given were slightly lower than those of the preceding year due to the flood break which spanned about two months in which courts were closed, and filing of cases and other activities were brought to a standstill.
She restated that the state’s judiciary look forward to recording a considerable improvement in the 2023/2024 legal year, expressing hope that floods and other intervening situations would not arise.
The Bayelsa State Chief Judge extolled the virtues of her immediate past predecessor, the late Justice Kate Abiri, nothing that the saddening events in the past weeks have made the state Judiciary under her leadership to settle for a low-key celebration for the legal year.
She also noted that the Judiciary her late predecessor handed over to her had a clearly defined vision and mission towards achieving the goal of building a world class Judiciary.
“The Judiciary that was handed over to me has a clearly defined vision and mission, with emphasis on speedy and effective dispensation of Justice.
“In pursuit of this goal, we have deployed technology, built physical infrastructure and improved on staff welfare in the past years. The Bayelsa State Judiciary is now a reference point in the use of the Court Recording System as well as the E-filing of cases in the entire country”, the CJ said.
Justice Ayemieye, who also spoke on challenges facing the state judiciary, noted that the greatest of all the factors inhibiting her effective operations was that of manpower deficit, calling on the State Governor to authorize the employment of some new staff for the state’s judiciary.
Also speaking, the State Commissioner for Justice and Attorney-General, Biriyai Dambo (SAN), promised his willingness towards a continued partnership with the State Judiciary for effective Justice delivery, saying he was sure things can only get better for the state Judiciary.
In the same vein, in a joint address by the Yenagoa and Sagbama branches of the Nigerian Bar Association (NBA), delivered by the Chairman of the Yenagoa Branch of the NBA, Barr. Somina Johnbull, the NBA condemned the recent trend in which members of the public tended to deploy the use of opinion poll and protest to intimidate Judges, and pre-empt the outcome of judgement in the nation.
They called on the Judiciary and all well-meaning citizens to uphold the Rule of law at all times through the appropriate institutions of the state to avoid chaos.
On his part, a former Commissioner for Justice and Attorney-General of the state, Mr Kemesuode Wordu (SAN), while speaking, advised young lawyers to be patient, hardworking and diligent.
He also implored older members of the Bench and Bar to take their healthcare seriously.

By: Ariwera Ibibo-Howells,
Yenagoa

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending