Connect with us

Niger Delta

IFAD Commends Nigeria’s Commitment To Youth Empowerment

Published

on

The Country Director, International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD), Nigeria, Mrs Dede Ekoue, has commended the federal and state governments’ commitment to the LIFE-ND youth programme.
Ekoue gave the commendation, on Wednesday, during the FED/NDDC/IFAD Livelihood Improvement Family Enterprises-Niger Delta (LIFE-ND) Mid Term Review Wrap-up meeting in Port Harcourt.
LIFE-ND, a programme aimed at promoting youths entrepreneurship in the agriculture sector, was initiated by IFAD, assisted by the Federal Government and NDDC in 2019 to end in 2025.
According to Ekoue, the programme has been successful with the outreach plan to empower 25,000 small holder entrepreneur farmers by the year 2025.
She said the programme had impacted 14,000 youths to prove that the target of the project had been met more than 50 per cent at mid-term of the programme.
She said IFAD regarded the contributions made on the project by the the Federal and State Governments as a good sign.
“If you have a project that is financed by only international donor without commitment from national, and state authorities or local community, it means the project may not be addressing the need of the people.
“So, we appreciate the Federal and state commitment”, she said.
Ekoue continued that the project was also implementing some projects that were critical for the community to help in reducing post harvest loss.
She said the projects would also generate income for the farmers at the cassava processing mill in Agbor and provide jobs for the youths of the area.
She said it would also be a catalyst for rural transformation of the economy because the projects were owned by the rural community in Agbor, managing to put money in the system.
The Country Director also commended the progress of LIFE-ND selected as one of the projects to share their experiences at the level of West and Central Africa.
“It means that something innovative is happening in the country. One of the innovations is the introduction of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) for farmers”, she said.
She thanked the incubators who are coaching the young entrepreneurs in the communities, saying that LIFE-ND had trained youths and boosted businesses in the region.
She listed some of the challenges as financial inclusion for entrepreneurs to start up businesses which the project is committed to.
She called on financial institutions to invest in the young entrepreneurs, saying that the NDDC’s Managing Director had assured that the Commission would soon contribute its counterpart funding to replicate the success achieved through LIFE-ND in the six states to three other states normally funded by NDDC.
Furthermore, Dr Peter Kukwi, a Director from the Federal Ministry of Agriculture’s Project Coordinating Unit, said that the Federal Government had provided funds for start up in spite of the general challenge posed by funding.
“We know the position of our banks, but we are still looking at individuals and Micro finance banks that can support the project, also looking at trainings and other ways to fast track the project”, he said.
Kukwi said Federal Government also set policies to facilitate the process, adding that state government should look inward and provide the land to carry out the agriculture projects.
Also, Mr Babatunde Adebayo, a Director at the Federal Ministry of Finance, Budget and Planning, said the ministry stood in for states as borrowers for the fund from the donors.
Adebayo, who applauded IFAD for providing the funds for the youths and the women in the country, advised the project managers to keep all the documentation about the project for account purposes.
Mr Kelechi Nwaelu, the NDDC Director on Agric and Fisheries, said the commission would meet its obligation on counterpart funding of the project.
Nwaelu said IFAD’s management had met with the commission’s management to discuss issues of the counterpart funding.
He also assured that the programme would be fast-tracked in the three other states to empower the remaining 13,000 participants.
Abiodun Sanni, the National Project Coordinator, Federal Government, NDDC, IFAD-assisted livelihood programme, said they got a strong commitment from the NDDC management.
He said the commitment would further hasten the funding of the project in three remaining states of Imo, Rivers and Akwa-Ibom before the end of the month.
Sanni said Nigerian youths would be able to trust in government to fulfil their promises at the end of the programme.
He said this was demonstrated by the overwhelming patronage and demand for participation in the programme by youths in the Niger Delta region.

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending