Niger Delta
Court Stops Edo From Forceful Covid-19 Vaccination
A Federal High Court in Port Harcourt,, has restrained the Edo State Government and its Governor, Godwin Obaseki, from forcing residents of the state to take Covid-19 vaccine.
Mr Obaseki had said recently in Benin that Edo residents would be required to show proof of Covid-19 vaccination before they would be allowed into public places like churches, mosques, and malls.
The court in a suit, dated August 30, 2021, ordered the governor, the Edo State Government, and three other respondents, “to maintain status quo pending the hearing and determination of the motion on notice, for the enforcement of the applicant’s fundamental human rights and for the leave of court to serve the respondents by publishing the court’s processes in a national daily newspaper circulating in Nigeria.”
The suit was filed on behalf of the applicant, Charles Osaretin by Echezona Etiaba, a Senior Advocate of Nigeria, according to the report.
Obaseki was quoted saying, “With what we have seen so far, Covid-19 pandemic is here to stay. This is the third wave and there is nothing that points to the fact that other waves will not come,” Mr Obaseki had said.
“What we are likely to see is intermittent waves of this pandemic. We are not going to shut down Edo State but we will make sure we protect all Edo citizens.
“Therefore, I have come out with the following regulations, beginning from the second week of September 2021.
“Large gatherings as well as high traffic public and private places will only be accessed by persons who have proof of taking at least one dose of Covid-19 vaccine.
“Such people will not be allowed to worship in churches and mosques. There will be no access to banking halls and event centers without proof of vaccination at the gates,” the governor added.
Covid-19 related deaths have risen to 11 in Edo, while 92 new infections were confirmed last Monday.
Edo, with 5,402 confirmed cases as at August 30, is the seventh most infected state in Nigeria, according to the data from the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control.
Niger Delta
850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD
Niger Delta
Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects
Niger Delta
A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers
-
Environment8 hours agoMOSOP – Tinubu Not Sincere With Ogoni People For Oil Resumption
-
Nation6 hours agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Hold Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Maritime9 hours agoProducts, Others, To Arrive Lagos Ports Today — MPA
-
Oil & Energy8 hours agoSEED: FG To Train 6,000 Energy Professionals
-
Environment8 hours agoNEWSAN Urges Investment For Water And Sanitation services
-
Environment8 hours agoNGOs Task Media On Investing In Climate Literacy
-
Education7 hours agoUNIPort Senate Grants Two-Year Amnesty to U2010–U2018 Students
-
Politics8 hours ago
Primaries: Diri Lauds APC’s Unity, Cohesion In Bayelsa
