Maritime
130 Migrants Drowned, 10 Dead In Mediterranean Sea
No fewer than 10 persons have been feared dead in a boat mishap that occurred in the Mediterranean sea.
The boat was said to have been loaded with over 130 migrants crossing to Europe.
Search party in the Mediterranean sea said about 10 bodies have been found in the sea.
Spokesperson, French Humanitarian Organisation, SOS Mediterranean, said, another wooden boat was still missing with about 40 migrants aboard.
The Civil Hotline Alarm Phone had reported that three boats were in distress last Wednesday, prompting SOS Mediterranean to launch a search “in very rough seas, with up to 6-metre waves”.
Three merchant vessels helped the charity’s own rescue ship, Ocean Viking, search for the boats in international waters, northeast of the Libyan city of Tripoli, the non-government organi-sation said in a news release.
SOS Mediterranean, said a merchant ship, My Rose, found three bodies in the water and an airplane of EU border agency, Frontex, spotted the rubber boat soon after.
When Ocean Viking arrived on the scene, it did not find any survivors but there were 10 bodies in the water nearby, it added.
The statement issued carried a photograph of a capsized black rubber boat.
The spokesman for the NGO, however, said he had no information on the third boat that Alarm Phone had said was in distress.
Conflict-ridden Libya is a major route for migrants seeking to reach Europe. The French NGO said more than 350 people have died this year in the Central Mediterranean, making the perilous voyage.
“States abandon their responsibility to coordinate search and rescue operations, leaving private actors and civil society to fill the deadly void they leave behind,” SOS Mediterranee said in its statement.
The United Nations agency called for a reactivation of state-led search and rescue operations in the Mediterranean and for a halt to returning migrants to “unsafe ports”.
The UN International Organisation for Migration (IOM), said in a report at the end of March that more than 2,200 people perished at sea, last year.
The true toll is probably far higher as aid groups reported at least five “invisible shipwrecks” that were never confirmed as they left no survivors.
Maritime
NCS Holds Free Medical Outreach For 2,000 Daura Residents
Maritime
Lagos Records Major Gains In Road, Rail, Water Transport —Osiyemi
Maritime
Customs Harps On Human-led AI Governance –As Customs Digital Reforms Generate N230Bn
-
Editorial5 days agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Sports5 days agoOparaodu Urges Rivers United To Win Katsina United
-
Education5 days agoUNIPort Senate Grants Two-Year Amnesty to U2010–U2018 Students
-
Nation5 days agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Holds Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Oil & Energy5 days agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Politics5 days ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Sports5 days ago” Nigeria’s best domestic players are not in NPFL”
-
Politics5 days ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
