Politics
Rivers NASS Caucus Backs Wike On IPOB
Members of Rivers State caucus of the National Assembly, last week declared their total support to the re-inforced ban of the Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike on the proscribed Indigenous Peoples of Biafra, IPOB.
The leader of the caucus, Senator George Sekibo who disclosed this on Friday when the group paid a courtesy visit to Governor Wike in Government House, Port Harcourt also affirmed that they unconditionally stand with Gov Wike on every actions he has taken to protect lives and property of all residents in the state.
Sekibo explained that while the governor had ensured that the EndSARS protest was peaceful, intruders and enemies of the state, masquerading as the Indigenous Peoples of Biafra, IPOB decided to cause mayhem , kill innocent residents, especially security officers in Oyigbo, Obio/Akpor and Port Harcourt Local Government Areas of the state.
“As a caucus, we want to state our unalloyed support for your re-affirmation of the proscription of the IPOB in line with the categorisation of the group as a terrorist organisation by the federal government.
“ We also want to unequivocally state that Rivers State cannot and will not be annexed by any group, organisation or persons whatsoever, as we are Niger Delta people and will always stand for the cause of the Niger Delta”.
Governor Wike had in a state- wide broadcast to the state, announced that he had signed an Executive Order to re-inforce the ban on IPOB and its activities in the state.
The governor said while Rivers State remains the home to all tribes, and ethnic nationalities , the state government is opposed to the presence and activities of the legally proscribed IPOB and whatever it stands for in the state.
The governor said: “ Let it be understood that we have nothing against all or any specific tribe and will continue to live in peace with people of all other tribal extractions residing or doing business in River State.
“ But we have everything against the presence and the activities of the legally proscribed Indigenous Peoples of Biafra IPOB and whatever it starts for in Rivers State.
“ This is clearly terrorist group which existence , creed, mission and activities are strongly denounced even by the government and people of South- Eastern states of the country”.
The governor held a crucial meeting, last week Monday with the 23 council chairmen in the state, Community Development Committees and youth leaders in Government House, Port Harcourt during which he charged them to fish out members of the proscribed IPOB in the state.
He warned that any council chairman that allows IPOB to hold processions and hoist its flag within their jurisdiction in Rivers State would be sacked.
“ There is one terrorist group they call IPOB. I didn’t declare them terrorist group, the court declared them terrorist group, not me. The federal government declared them a terrorist group. IPOB cannot use Rivers State to be a place where they will be launching attack. If you allow that, your future, your children’s future is gone”, he said.
He expressed dismay over the unlawful activities of the group in the state, especially its involvement in destruction of public and private property, burning of courts and police stations as well as killing of security personnel in Oyigbo Local Government Area of the state and called on people of the state to be vigilant and report any attempt by the group to hold any of its activities in any part of Rivers State.
Governor Wike , on Wednesday,paid a condolence visit to the Rivers State Commissioner of Police, Joseph Mukan and families of the slain policemen allegedly killed during the EndSARS protest in Oyigbo Local Government Area.
The governor announced that the state government would pay the sum of N20 million compansation to each of the families of the soldiers and policemen killed by the proscribed IPOB in Oyigbo Local Government Area.
In addition, the governor promised to rebuild the police stations burnt down in the area.
Another major event in Brick House in the week under review was the courtesy visit to the Governor by the leadership of the Nigeria Guild of Editors( NGE) .
National President of NGE, Mustapha Isha, thanked the Governor for his support to the body especially for sponsoring it’s annual conference back to back.
He equally commended the Gov for his massive infrastructure which according to him has transformed the state, good handlitof the COVID-19 pandemic and peaceful handling of the EndSARS.
The Governor charged members of NGE to always hold public officers accountable to the people instead of singing their praises when they are not even performing.
According to the Governor, by holding them accountable, they would sit up and discharge their duties in the interest of the populace.
The NGE delegation was taken round to sites of some ongoing projects in the state.
At the last Executive Council meeting held last Wednesday, the council approved the employment of 5000 youths into the Rivers State Civil Service.
The youths who should not be above 35 years would fill existing vacancies in the service.
The council further approved the resumption of duties by civil servants from Grade Level 1 to 10 who were directed to remain at home because of the COVID-19 pandemic. They were directed to resume work from Monday.
The council also announced a minor cabinet reshuffle .
By: Chris Oluoh
Politics
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
A senator who represented Taraba Central, Mr Abubakar Yusuf, has declared that the economic policies of President Bola Tinubu are not yielding the expected results.
His comment is one of the strongest internal critiques yet from within the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
The comment underscores the growing dissatisfaction within sections of the ruling party over the direction and impact of the administration’s economic reforms amid rising living costs and fiscal pressures across the country.
Mr Yusuf, who served in the Senate between 2015 and 2023 under the platform of the APC, made the remarks during an appearance on national television.
Responding to a question on whether the administration’s economic direction, often referred to as Tinubunomics, was working, Mr Yusuf answered in the contrary.
“For me, it is not working. I am a member of the APC. I would be the last person to hide the facts”, he said.
He said while the government might be operating diligently within its policy structure, the framework itself is ill-suited to Nigeria’s current realities
“Within the policy framework, yes, they are doing their best, but it is not the framework that is suitable for Nigeria at the point in time that President Asiwaju came into power,” he said.
Mr Yusuf criticised the immediate removal of fuel subsidy on the day the president was sworn in, arguing that the decision lacked sufficient consultation and planning.
“I am one of those who say President Asiwaju ought to have waited. Not on the day he was sworn in to say subsidy is gone. On what basis?”, he asked.
He urged broader engagement before major fiscal decisions are taken.
“Sit down with your cabinet, sit down with your ministers, sit down with your advisers,” he said, dismissing the argument that subsidy removal was justified solely on grounds of corruption.
The former lawmaker identified “structural flaws” in the country’s budgeting system, particularly the envelope budgeting model.
“One of the basic problems is that before you budget, you should have a plan. The envelope system we have been operating has been you budget before you plan. That has been a major issue”, he said.
He argued that allocating spending ceilings without aligning them to concrete development strategies inevitably weakens implementation and delivery.
“If you give me an envelope which is contrary to my plan, whether it is plus or minus, there is no way I am going to implement my plan. It is bound to fail,” he said.
Mr Yusuf called for the scrapping of the envelope budgeting system, noting that he had consistently opposed it even during his years in the National Assembly.
“It is not good for us. It is not going to work well for us,” he said.
He further blamed poor capital releases and persistent deficit financing for undermining budget performance over the years.
“We could not meet 60 percent of our capital budget in all these years. No releases. If you make a budget and the release is very poor, there is no way the budget will be executed”, he stated.
According to him, weak fund disbursement mechanisms and reliance on deficit financing have entrenched a cycle of underperformance.
“Our budget ought to have been a surplus budget, but all our budgets have always been deficit financing budgets,” Mr Yusuf added.
Politics
Reps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
The Nigerian House of Representatives has resolved to reconvene for an emergency session tomorrow February 17, 2026, to deliberate on issues arising from the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) release of the timetable for the 2027 general elections.
The decision was disclosed in a statement issued by the House Spokesman, Rep. Akin Rotimi, who described the electoral body’s announcement as one of “constitutional and national significance.”
INEC had fixed February 20, 2027, for the Presidential and National Assembly elections.
According to the statement, members of the Green Chamber were notified of the emergency sitting through an internal memorandum from the Speaker’s office.
The session is expected to focus on legislative matters connected to the newly released timetable, reflecting the House’s resolve to act promptly on issues affecting the nation’s democratic process.
Rep. Rotimi noted that all related businesses would be treated with urgency and urged lawmakers to prioritise attendance in view of the importance of the deliberations.
INEC had on Friday formally unveiled the comprehensive schedule for the 2027 polls, including timelines for party primaries slated for July to September 2026, as well as the commencement of Continuous Voter Registration in April 2026.
The development comes amid ongoing consultations and proposed amendments to the Electoral Act ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Politics
Group Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
As the controversy over the transmission of election results continues across the country, the Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), a pro democracy organisation in the country, has criticised the National Assembly for not giving express approval to real time transmission of elections results.
To this end, the group is calling on all civil society organisations in the country to mobilise and push for a better Electoral Reform in the country.
This was contained in a press statement titled, “Defence For Human Rights and Democracy Demands Real Time Election Transmission of Result”, a copy of which was made available to newsmen in Port Harcourt.
The group described the refusal of compulsory real time transmission of result results by the Senate as undemocratic, adding that the situation will give room for election manipulation, rigging and voters apathy.
It said that the provision of mandatory real time transmission of election results would have significant improvement on the nation’s democracy.
According to the statement, “Since the return of democracy in 1999 to date, it is 27 years, so our Democracy has metamorphosed from being nascent and as such significant improvement should have been recorded.
“Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is really disappointed at the National Assembly, especially the upper chamber (Senate) for not approving ‘Real Time Electronic Transmission of Election Result’.
“This undemocratic act of theirs, if not tamed, will give room for election manipulation and rigging’”.
Signed by Comrade Clifford Christopher Solomon on behalf of the organisation, the statement further said, “The Defence For Human Rights and Democracy unequivocally supports real time transmission of election result”, stressing that his group will resist any act by the National Assembly to undermine the nation’s democracy.
“DHRD,unequivocally supports ‘True Democracy’, which is Government of the people, by the people and for the people.
“Therefore, anything that will crash the hope of Nigerians to Freely, Fairly and Transparently elect candidates of their choice in any given election should and will be vehemently resisted because good governance begins with leaders elected through credible process. By so doing, leaders have entered a social contract with the citizens to equitably manage their affairs and abundant resources”, the statement added.
It urged the National Assembly to revisit the issue in order to avoid civil unrest.
According to the DHRD, “To avoid civil unrest,voters apathy, election rigging and manipulation, rather to promote citizens participation, advancing our Democracy and entrenching free, fair, credible and acceptable electoral outcome, the National Assembly should amend the electoral act in a manner that will deepen our democracy and boost citizens confidence.
“On this note, The Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is calling on all other civil society organisations (CSOs) to mobilise, organise and push for a better electoral act amendment by the National Assembly”.
By: John Bibor
-
Sports3 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Politics3 days ago
ADC, PDP, LP Missing As INEC Set For By- Elections In Rivers
-
Environment3 days agoOxfam, partners celebrate 5 years of climate governance programmes in Nigeria
-
Politics3 days ago
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Diri Unveils RHA LG Coordinators, APC Congress Panel
-
Politics3 days agoReps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
-
Politics3 days agoGroup Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
-
Sports3 days ago
Sunderland Overcome Oxford Challenge
