Connect with us

Featured

RSG Didn’t Demolish Any Mosque, Wike Insists …Assures Rivers Of Sustained Performance

Published

on

The Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike has described as unfortunate the false information being circulated that the state government demolished a mosque in Port Harcourt, saying that the false report was planted by mischief makers to create disaffection.
Addressing journalists at the location on Biambo Street, Off, School Road by Mami Market Junction, near Rainbow Estate, last Monday, Wike said there was no mosque on ground, hence, nothing was demolished.
He said: “I received calls from several prominent Nigerians on the fake news being circulated online. I have come here with reporters and you can see there was no mosque here.
“It is most unfortunate that fickle-minded persons will claim that a mosque was demolished at this place, when no mosque existed here. The story was concocted by mischief makers to score cheap practical points”.
Wike explained that some persons started erecting illegal foundation at the disputed land, even though they had no approval to embark on any construction work.
“They came here to erect illegal structure. There was no approval from the state government for any structure to be erected here.
“The persons who started the foundation had already dragged the state government to court on the disputed land. The Rivers State Government won the case. What they attempted to do was to start the illegal construction to tie the hands of the state government”, he said.
The governor urged the Muslim community in Rivers State to show him where a mosque was demolished in the state, and advised them not to allow themselves to be used by politicians to peddle false stories against the Rivers State Government.
Wike said that the state government operates within the rule of law, adding that the state government would not be distracted by the illegal circulation of fake reports.
He stated that several mosques constructed on the approval of the state government exist across Port Harcourt and other major towns of Rivers State, without the state government demolishing them.
“The government gave them notice not to do anything on the land. But they went ahead with the illegal foundation and the relevant agency stopped them.
“Why would we want to bring down any mosque, when there are other Mosques across the state? What is the special interest on this one?, the government asked.
Earlier on Monday, the Islamic human rights organisation, the Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) had alleged that the state government had demolished the Trans Amadi Central Mosque in Port Harcourt, Rivers State, penultimate Tuesday.
A statement signed by the Director, Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC), Prof Ishaq Akintola, last Monday, claimed that the allegation was based on information provided by some Muslim leaders in the state.
According to MURIC, the demolition is allegedly the most insidious attack on an Islamic landmark in that part of the country in recent times.
MURIC said, “This demolition exercise is illegal, unlawful and unconstitutional. It is an exhibition of gross, undiluted Islamophobia and the most odious and insidious attack on an Islamic landmark in that part of the country in recent times.
“Both the Chief Imam of Trans-Amadi Central Mosque, Alhaji Haroon Muhammed and the Secretary, Alhaji Aliyu Sadiq, have provided evidence proving that due process was followed in purchasing the land. Yet, the state government has been harassing the mosque management for years. The mosque has been demolished twice in the past.
“The Muslims had no option than to approach the court. Two cases were instituted at the state High Court. One was to restrain the government from taking over the land and the other was for compensation for the loss incurred by the Muslims for the damages done to their properties (the building that was demolished and the properties in the mosque damaged as a result of the demolition).
“The Muslims won both cases. The court judgement in favour of the Muslims was given on 2nd November, 2017. Though the government appealed against the second case which is about compensation for damages, and the case is still ongoing at the Appeal Court, it did not appeal the one restraining it from taking over the land. The Muslims of Rivers State are, therefore, the bona fide owners of that land.
“It proves beyond any reasonable doubt that the demolition of Tuesday, 20th August, 2019, was done in contempt of court. A mosque is demolished while there is a case on it at an appellate court.
“It is interesting to note that the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) of that area challenged the task force on the ground that he was not aware of any demolition order.
“They replied that the order was from the state Government House but they had to withdraw because they could not produce a written order when the DPO requested for it. This happened twice: 29th July and 16th August, 2019, before they eventually came for the demolition on 20th August, when they returned with more touts, fake mobile policemen and bulldozers.
“This demolition was executed without any formal notice despite the fact that the mosque has an approved building plan. The only thing that was heard was that the papers had not been revalidated whereas the mosque management made several moves to revalidate ownership. They even paid a visit to the permanent secretary to complain when officials in the Ministry of Lands and Housing refused to attend to them.
“This illegal demolition has deprived more than 10,000 worshippers of a place of worship. Members of the armed forces, oil company workers and other residents who are Muslims attend the mosque.
“Contrary to Section 10 of the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria which says, ‘The Government of the Federation or of a State shall not adopt any religion as State religion’ Wike has declared on three different occasions that Rivers State is a Christian State, and no one has deemed it fit to caution him, not the state assembly, nor the Senate.
“Paradoxically, Rivers State citizens are everywhere in the country, particularly in Muslim-controlled parts of Northern Nigeria as well as Muslim-majority parts of the South-West.
“To the Muslims of Rivers State, we send to you this strong message of solidarity. ‘Believers are all brothers’ (Qur’an 49:10 Inamal muminuun ikhwah). We assure you that you are not alone. We feel the heat as you pray under the burning sun. We share the cold and wetness when you pray in the rain. We charge Muslims in Rivers State to remain steadfast in faith and in resolution.
“We caution Muslims against taking the law into their hands. They must resolutely pursue the legal angle to a logical conclusion. We also advise that they continue to observe their weekly Jumu’ah service on the ruins of the multi-million naira mosque”, the MURIC statement added.
But dismissing the claims as misdirected, a Muslim residing in Port Harcourt, Musa Ahmed, said that the false alarm was a deliberate propaganda designed to tarnish the image of the Rivers State Government.
He said, “As a Muslim who stays in old Port Harcourt Township, I was very unhappy when I read in ‘The Nation’ newspaper that a mosque was allegedly demolished by the state government. I made enquiries from fellow Muslims throughout the weekend, and discovered it was a pure lie.
“Because of the story, I was at our mosque in a heavily populated area of Port Harcourt on Sunday and heard the true story,” Ahmed said.
According to him, “Some persons near Rainbow Estate in Port Harcourt were building an illegal structure. They were told to stop by the Ministry of Urban Development, but they were headstrong and continued.
“I have been in Port Harcourt for 10 years; nobody has harassed me as a Muslim. We have mosques built in different parts of the town and they have government approval. I usually pray at the mosque around Lagos Street in Port Harcourt and the other at Ikwerre Road. These are approved mosques,” he stressed.
Ahmed noted that, “There is another mosque near the newly constructed road at Oil Mill area. In fact, that mosque is by the roadside, yet, it was left untouched by the Ministry of Urban Development.
“I consider this falsehood by ‘The Nation’ newspaper and other politically-minded persons as distasteful.
“Muslims practice their religion without molestation in Rivers State. We thank Governor Nyesom Wike for always carrying Muslims along”, Ahmed added.
Meanwhile, the Rivers State Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike has stated that his administration was committed to making Rivers people happy through the continuous execution of pro-people projects.
Wike also announced that the Rivers State Government would employ additional 450 youths to strengthen the Task Force on Street Trading, Illegal Markets and Motor Parks in the bid to clean up Port Harcourt.
Speaking after inspecting projects that would be commissioned during his first 100 days for the second term, yesterday, Wike assured Rivers people that he would work diligently to surpass his first term achievements.
He said: “I believe that when we celebrate our first 100 days of our second term, the people will know that we are still working.
“I know that Rivers people will be happy at the end of the day. They will see that we have continued to deliver on our campaign promises”.
Wike expressed satisfaction with the quality of work at the Real Madrid Football Academy, adding that the academy would commence operations after it is commissioned as part of the 100 days celebration.
“The Real Madrid Football Academy will help us groom our children who would want to take Football as their career. Today, our kids who won the Channels Kids Cup are heading to Spain. When they return, they will be the first set to be admitted into the academy.
“As part of our first 100 days in office, we will commission the Real Madrid Football Academy and the school will start operations. The standard of the facility is appreciated”, he said.
At the Government Craft Development Centre in Port Harcourt, the governor said that the reconstruction work will re-position the institution.
He said that the quality of work done at the Government Craft Development Centre shows that indigenous contractors also have the capacity to deliver in line with approved specifications.
On the operations of the task force, the governor said the first two days have shown that the task force would be successful in carrying out its legal responsibilities.
“With what we have seen, it means they will do well. We will employ additional 450 youths to be involved in the total operation to clean Port Harcourt. We will not tolerate street trading again.
“Why we have not started arrests and prosecution is to let people know that we are a friendly government. But at the end of the week, we will start arrests and prosecution of offenders. But for now, we are saying, stop that illegal trading and they seem to be complying”, he said.
He said that the focus will not only be on street traders, but those who use umbrellas and people who sell corns will not be allowed to operate.

Featured

Fubara Dissolves Rivers Executive Council

Published

on

Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminialayi Fubara, has dissolved the State Executive Council.

The governor announced the cabinet dissolution yesterday in a statement titled ‘Government Special Announcement’, signed by his new Chief Press Secretary, Onwuka Nzeshi.

Governor Fubara directed all Commissioners and Special Advisers to hand over to the Permanent Secretaries or the most Senior officers in their Ministries with immediate effect.

He thanked the outgoing members of the State Executive Council for their service and wished them the best in their future endeavours.

The three-paragraph special announcement read, “His Excellency, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, GSSRS, Governor of Rivers State, has dissolved the State Executive Council.

“His Excellency, the Governor, has therefore directed all Commissioners and Special Advisers to hand over to the Permanent Secretaries or  the most Senior officers in their Ministries with immediate effect.

“His Excellency further expresses his deepest appreciation to the outgoing members of the Executive Council wishing them the best in their future endeavours.”

 

Continue Reading

Featured

INEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) yesterday told the National Assembly that it requires N873.78bn to conduct the 2027 general elections, even as it seeks N171bn to fund its operations in the 2026 fiscal year.

INEC Chairman, Prof Joash Amupitan, made the disclosure while presenting the commission’s 2026 budget proposal and the projected cost for the 2027 general elections before the National Assembly Joint Committee on Electoral Matters in Abuja.

According to Amupitan, the N873.78bn election budget covers the full conduct of national polls in 2027.

An additional N171bn is needed to support INEC’s routine activities in 2026, including bye-elections and off-season elections, the commission stated.

The INEC boss said the proposed election budget does not include a fresh request from the National Youth Service Corps seeking increased allowances for corps members engaged as ad-hoc staff during elections.

He explained that, although the details of specific line items were not exhaustively presented, the almost N1tn election budget is structured across five major components.

“N379.75bn is for operational costs, N92.32bn for administrative costs, N209.21bn for technological costs, N154.91bn for election capital costs and N42.61bn for miscellaneous expenses,” Amupitan said.

The INEC chief noted that the budget was prepared “in line with Section 3(3) of the Electoral Act 2022, which mandates the Commission to prepare its election budget at least one year before the general election.”

On the 2026 fiscal year, Amupitan disclosed that the Ministry of Finance provided an envelope of N140bn, stressing, however, that “INEC is proposing a total expenditure of N171bn.”

The breakdown includes N109bn for personnel costs, N18.7bn for overheads, N42.63bn for election-related activities and N1.4bn for capital expenditure.

He argued that the envelope budgeting system is not suitable for the Commission’s operations, noting that INEC’s activities often require urgent and flexible funding.

Amupitan also identified the lack of a dedicated communications network as a major operational challenge, adding that if the commission develops its own network infrastructure, Nigerians would be in a better position to hold it accountable for any technical glitches.

Speaking at the session, Senator Adams Oshiomhole (APC, Edo North) said external agencies should not dictate the budgeting framework for INEC, given the unique and sensitive nature of its mandate.

He advocated that the envelope budgeting model should be set aside.

He urged the National Assembly to work with INEC’s financial proposal to avoid future instances of possible underfunding.

In the same vein, a member of the House of Representatives from Edo State, Billy Osawaru, called for INEC’s budget to be placed on first-line charge as provided in the Constitution, with funds released in full and on time to enable the Commission to plan early enough for the 2027 general election.

The Joint Committee approved a motion recommending the one-time release of the Commission’s annual budget.

The committee also said it would consider the NYSC’s request for about N32bn to increase allowances for corps members to N125,000 each when engaged for election duties.

The Chairman of the Senate Committee on INEC, Senator Simon Along, assured that the National Assembly would work closely with the Commission to ensure it receives the necessary support for the successful conduct of the 2027 general elections.

Similarly, the Chairman of the House Committee on Electoral Matters, Bayo Balogun, also pledged legislative support, warning INEC to be careful about promises it might be unable to keep.

He recalled that during the 2023 general election, INEC made strong assurances about uploading results to the INEC Result Viewing portal, creating the impression that results could be monitored in real time.

“iREV was not even in the Electoral Act; it was only in INEC regulations. So, be careful how you make promises,” Balogun warned.

The N873.78bn proposed by INEC for next year’s general election is a significant increase from the N313.4bn released to the Commission by the Federal Government for the conduct of the 2023 general election.

Continue Reading

Featured

Tinubu Mourns Literary Icon, Biodun Jeyifo

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu yesterday expressed grief over the death of a former President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities and one of Africa’s foremost literary scholars, Professor Emeritus Biodun Jeyifo.

Jeyifo passed away on Wednesday, drawing tributes from across Nigeria and the global academic community.

In a condolence message to the family, friends, and associates of the late scholar, Tinubu in a statement by his spokesperson, Bayo Onanuga,  described Jeyifo as a towering intellectual whose contributions to African literature, postcolonial studies, and cultural theory left an enduring legacy.

He noted that the late professor would be sorely missed for his incisive criticism and masterful interpretations of the works of Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka.

The President also recalled Jeyifo’s leadership of ASUU, praising the temperance, foresight, and wisdom he brought to the union over the years.

Tinubu said Jeyifo played a key role in shaping negotiation frameworks with the government aimed at improving working conditions for university staff and enhancing the learning environment in Nigerian universities.

According to the President, Professor Jeyifo’s longstanding advocacy for academic freedom and social justice will continue to inspire generations.

He added that the late scholar’s influence extended beyond academia into political and cultural journalism, where he served as a mentor to numerous scholars, writers, and activists.

Tinubu condoled with ASUU, the Nigerian Academy of Letters, the Wole Soyinka Centre for Investigative Journalism, the University of Ibadan, Obafemi Awolowo University, Oberlin University, Cornell University, and Harvard University—institutions where Jeyifo studied, taught, or made significant scholarly contributions.

“Nigeria and the global academic community have lost a towering figure and outstanding global citizen,” the President said.

“Professor Biodun Jeyifo was an intellectual giant who dedicated his entire life to knowledge production and the promotion of human dignity. I share a strong personal relationship with him. His contributions to literary and cultural advancement and to society at large will be missed.”

Jeyifo was widely regarded as one of Africa’s most influential literary critics and public intellectuals. Among several honours, he received the prestigious W.E.B. Du Bois Medal in 2019.

Continue Reading

Trending