Connect with us

Niger Delta

Oshiomhole Bows Out, ’Morrow, Renders Accounts

Published

on

The Edo State Governor,
Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, says the achievements recorded by his administration in the last eight years have placed the state on a good pedestal that every successive government of the state would continue to build on.
Oshiomhole stated this while fielding questions from newsmen at Benin Airport after seeing off President Muhammadu Buhari, who was in the state for a two-day official visit.
Oshiomhole, who will bow out  as the governor  tomorrw after his two terms of four years each, said “Edo can never be the same again” with the developmental strides recorded by his government.
The former labour leader noted that before his assumption of office on November 12, 2008, the “Godfathers” had held the state hostage, and described it as not viable.
The governor said  that he was able to succeed because he came in with a clear vision to work and also free the state from those who had held the state as their private properties.
He said  that the achievement of his government had not only put the “Godfathers” out of business, but also consolidated the position of the All Progressives Congress (APC), as the number one party in the state.
According to him, “I came in with a clear vision to work. Like I discussed with Chief John Odigie-Oyegun then, there were two forces in the state.
“We had the forces that were responsible for the status quo and who are benefiting from it and the majority of the people who are victims of that order.
“And that if all those who are dissatisfied in the way in which our state had been compromised, it’s resources privatized,  we all need to work together to overthrow that order.
“Today, we have overthrown that order, whether the Godfathers agreed or not, they are not only down, they are out as well.
“In Edo, we have two traditions of burial,the first and the final burial. I think in this case, we have done three burials. The first in 2008 through the court to reclaim our mandate that was stolen.
“The general burial in 2012, and because of their age, we gave them additional ceremony which is the final funeral and that was celebrated on September 28, 2016.
“As I keep saying, that is the only election in South South where ballots and not human blood, the ink and not blood, with PVC, people voted to affirm their rejection of the PDP and their confidence in our party by the victory of Godwin Obaseki.
“The people have spoken of course. Who else is standing other than the APC. I believed God has done that, not by our might, because, he sees our heart.
“All the roads the President drove through in his first day of visit were done by the APC government, none was done by the PDP.
“I am happy that we have supervised the burial of the Godfathers, they are out and there is nothing they can do about it.
“God has used us as instrument of change in the state. No part of the country ought to have been held hostage the way our state (Edo) was criminally held hostage by these Godfathers.
“This is not about me (Oshiomhole) or Oyegun, but our people, it is about our state. Edo can never be the same again.
“I am glad that God has used us to re-order the political environment and if a factory worker like me can be a governor, then you can be as well.”
Oshiomhole said he and the people of Edo remained eternally grateful to President Buhari for not only visiting the state, but spending two consecutive days in the state.
The President during the visit, inaugurated a number of projects across the three senatorial districts of the state.
Among the projects inaugurated were the new 200-bed space central hospital in Benin, the new Edo University in Iyamoh, erosion control project as well as road projects.

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending