Business
Italy Scales Down Migrant Sea Rescue Operations
Italy has announced a ma
jor scale back of migrant sea rescue operations, in spite of criticism from human rights organisations, on the eve of the launch of a new European Union border patrol mission.
Defense Minister Roberta Pinotti, said government was determined to significantly reduce the assets of Mare Nostrum, as the monthly budget was going to be cut by two thirds, from 9.4 million euros to 3.5 million euros.
He said the fleet would also be reduced from five large ships to one large ship and three smaller vessels.
Pinotti said the reduced funding was going to cover the next two months.
“It is unclear whether government will then shut down the mission completely. Any decision will be “coordinated” with EU partners’’, he said.
Interior Minister Angelino Alfano said Italy had done its duty.
He insisted that Mare Nostrum was a stop-gap measure that could not be kept on indefinitely.
Alfano said since it was launched in mid-Oct. 2013, it had rescued 100,250 migrants from the sea.
“The Italian navy also arrested 728 suspected human traffickers and seized eight boats used for the illegal trade in migrants.
“Mare Nostrum fought against “the biggest and most criminal travel agency in the world”, he added.
The Minister said Italy had faced a record influx of migrants, fuelled by unrest in Syria, the Gaza Strip and elsewhere.
He said many of them had moved on to northern Europe, sparking intra-EU tensions on how to share the burden of incoming asylum-seekers.
Alfano said 153,000 people arrived in Italy since Jan. 1, compared to less than 43,000 in 2013.
He also said that during the Mare Nostrum mission, 499 migrant deaths had been recorded, and 1,446 people were reported as missing by survivors.
Several NGOs, including Amnesty International, Doctors without Borders and the Association for Legal Studies on Immigration, had urged Italian authorities not to go ahead with their plans.
“We are seriously concerned about the humanitarian impact of this decision, because Triton would not have a mandate to perform search-and-rescue missions in the Mediterranean.
“It had to patrol maritime borders and this will represent only a partial solution to the problem”, they said.
Nicolas Beger, Head of Amnesty International’s EU office, said Italy’s Mare Nostrum had saved thousands of lives, while the other member states idly watch on.
He said they must now share that responsibility with them, and not hide behind an operation that was not fit for the very real search and rescue needs in the Mediterranean Sea.
Beger said as long as war, poverty and persecution prevailed, desperate people would continue to take terrible risks.
“The EU and its member states cannot and must not turn their backs on them, leaving them to drown at Europe’s doorstep”, he said.
Business
Two Federal Agencies Enter Pack On Expansion, Sustainable Electricity In Niger Delta
Business
Why The AI Boom May Extend The Reign Of Natural Gas
Business
Ogun To Join Oil-Producing States ……..As NNPCL Kicks Off Commercial Oil Production At Eba
-
Sports4 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Politics4 days ago
ADC, PDP, LP Missing As INEC Set For By- Elections In Rivers
-
Environment4 days agoOxfam, partners celebrate 5 years of climate governance programmes in Nigeria
-
Politics4 days ago
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
-
Politics4 days ago2027: Diri Unveils RHA LG Coordinators, APC Congress Panel
-
Politics4 days agoReps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
-
Politics4 days agoGroup Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
-
Sports4 days ago
Sunderland Overcome Oxford Challenge
