Connect with us

News

FG Apologises Over Poor Power Supply

Published

on

Assistant Inspector-General of Police Zone 10, Alhaji Mamman Sule (right), addressing officers and men of the Sokoto State Police Command last Thursday. With him is Sokoto State Commissioner of Police, Shuaibu Gambo.

Assistant Inspector-General of Police Zone 10, Alhaji Mamman Sule (right), addressing officers and men of the Sokoto State Police Command last Thursday. With him is Sokoto State Commissioner of Police, Shuaibu Gambo.

The Minister of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, said yesterday in Abuja that the worsening power situation in the country was as a result of gas pipeline vandalism.
Nebo, who said this at a media briefing on the current challenges of power supply in the country, also apologised to customers for the difficulties they “are all going through, particularly at this time of the year”.
The minister, who decried the spate of gas pipeline vandalism in the country, said power generation had dropped to about 3,200MW from a little above 4,000MW as a result of sabotage.
“The recent dip in power supply has been due mainly to inadequate gas supply to thermal power plants,” he said.
He explained that about 2,300MW had been lost in the past few months due to the vandalism of five different gas pipelines that supply power to the national grid.
According to him, the affected pipelines include the Escravos-Lagos Gas Pipeline System with a generation capacity of 800MW and the Trans-Forcados pipeline with capacity of 800MW.
He said the Trans-Niger Pipeline with capacity of 500MW, the Alakiri-Onne gas pipeline and Chevron gas plant with capacity of 2,672MW were also affected.
He said the damage to some transmission lines and towers of the Transmission Company of Nigeria had also adversely affected power situation in the country.
“Other factors that recently impacted on service delivery in the sector include loss of transmission lines and substations across the country.
“You are aware of the collapse of 12 towers on the Sapele/Delta 330KV transmission line that occurred on March 9, thus constraining evacuation of power from the Delta power plant,
“The other incident includes the fire accident at Osogbo in which a 150MVA transformer was completely lost.
“The Federal Government, in collaboration with stakeholders in the sector, has commenced  rehabilitation of the affected pipelines and transmission infrastructure,” he said.
He noted that President Goodluck Jonathan, recently pledged $1billion to address pipeline vandalism and crude oil theft.
On hydropower dams, the minister said the current low water level had greatly affected the use of the dams.
He gave the assurance that rehabilitation work was ongoing at the Kainji and Shiroro dams to upgrade them.
Nebo apologised to Nigerians for the inconveniences the epileptic power situation had caused and called on stakeholders to join government in transforming the sector.
“We also wish to use this opportunity to call on members of the press and the general public to join the fight against acts of vandalism,” he added.
Jonathan never confirmed NNPC withholding $10bn — Presidency
The Presidency on Tuesday refuted reports quoting President Goodluck Jonathan as ‘’confirming’’ in Amsterdam that Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) wrongly withheld 10 billion Dollars from the Federation Account.
Dr Reuben Abati, the Senior Special Adviser to the President Media and Publicity,  made the denial in a statement in Abuja.
The statement described the report as ‘‘completely false and a total distortion of the president’s comments during his meeting with the Nigerian community in The Netherlands.
‘’Sensational reports in the media to that effect are reckless, mischievous and unprofessional misrepresentations of the president’s restatement to the Nigerian community of the Federal Government’s position on the allegation that 20 billion Dollars is “missing” from the NNPC or the Federation Account by reporters who were not at the event or even in Holland at all,’’ it said.
The statement said the president’s speech while responding to questions from members of the community on the allegation and other domestic issues were clear and unambiguous.
It said the president asserted that the allegation that various sums – 49.8 billion Dollars, 12 billion Dollars or 20 billion Dollars – were missing were inconsistent and lacked credibility.
The statement quoted the president as saying: “As at the time, the Finance Ministry was saying they had not been able to reconcile only 10 billion Dollars. There are issues in NNPC but we are on it.”
It added: ‘‘the president  went on to say that to reassure Nigerians of  his administration’s continued commitment to openness, transparency and probity in the aftermath of the unsubstantiated allegations, the Federal Government had authorised a professional forensic audit of NNPC accounts to clear the air.’’
The statement urged the media to show greater regard for truth and accuracy when reporting on the president.

Continue Reading

News

198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class

Published

on

A total of 198 students of the University of Benin (UNIBEN ) Edo State, bagged a First Class degree out of 14,083 students to be awarded first degree at the institution’s 51st Convocation and Founder’s Day ceremony.
Vice Chancellor of UNIBEN, Prof. Edoba Omoregie, disclosed this on Monday in Benin at a pre-convocation press briefing.
He said 4,217 students bagged a Second Class Upper,  7, 928 got a Second Class Lower, while 578 bagged a Third Class degree.
He said 15 new approved programmes by the National Universities Commission (NUC) would commence in the 2025/2026 academic session.
According to him, “The wheel of progress is on course and moving steadily in the University of Benin.  This administration is poised to deliver on its mandate of effective, practical teaching, sound learning, result-oriented research and impactful community service.
“We must applaud the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for establishing NELFUND, and by so doing significantly reducing the financial stress of students in the process of acquiring tertiary education.   We enjoin students and their parents to take full advantage of the federal government’s benevolence in instituting the fund.”
Prof. Omoregie disclosed that Nigeria’s Minister of Regional Development, Engr. Abubakar Momoh, would deliver the Founders’ Day lecture with the topic,  “Reforms for a Shared Prosperity”.
The UNIBEN VC said Director General of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs and Former Vice Chancellor of Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State, Professor Eghosa Osaghae, would deliver the Convocation Lecture on the theme, “Making Our Universities Great”.
Continue Reading

News

Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council  trains tra 1,000 teachers

Published

on

The last batch of 400 public school teachers in Bayelsa State on Monday commenced training under the sponsorship of Bayelsa Education Development Trust Fund (EDTF) and the British Council.
This batch will bring to 1000 the number of public school teachers in the state who have benefited in the partnership arrangement.School supplies
The EDTF, British Council and Teachers Training, Registration and Certification Board collaborated in the capacity development programme.
Speaking at the opening ceremony of the five day capacity building program, Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah reiterated the commitment of the Bayelsa government to training and capacity of teachers in the state.
He noted that the improved teaching methodology in the state was responsible for the state producing the best student in the 2025 West African School Certificate Examinations.
Prof Ebimiowei, Executive Secretary at EDTF, noted that the collaboration is aimed at improving learning outcomes for pupils and students of public primary and secondary schools in Bayelsa.
“You will agree with me that until the cutlass is sharpened, it will have no impact on the hands of the farmer and so it is with our teachers., you need to be sharpened very well to give good delivery in your various classes and schools.
“Let me at this juncture appreciate the British Council for accepting to train 1,000 teachers, 50 education managers and 60 trainers for Bayelsa,” he said.
On his part, Chairman of the EDTF board, High Chief Fidelis Agbiki expressed appreciation to the Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah for his supportive role to the fund.
Agbiki urged the beneficiaries to justify the enormous resources invested by the government of Bayelsa by being dedicated within the five days the exercise would last.
He said; “This board will not operate on business as usual but on business unusual as we will push the frontiers outside the box to ensure that we get value for money,” Agbiki said.
 Chairman of Development Partners Committee of the EDTF applauded the commitment of the partners for the successful completion of the programme, urging them to sustain the tempo
Speaking on the programme, Mr Fwanshishak Daniel, Head, English and Schools, British Council noted that the Bayelsa government had shown exemplary commitment to educational development.
He explained that the commitment has enabled the British Council and Bayelsa government to achieve within one year greater milestones that took other states three years to achieve.
He explained that the resources of the British Council have been made available to Bayelsa with the training of 60 resource persons from the state who will in turn train other teachers to improve education.
According to Daniel, the training will lay emphasis on new teaching methods, use of digital tools for self development and access to school amongst others.
Dr Peremoboere Ogola, Acting Chairman of TTRC, which facilitated training, thanked the EDTF for supporting training of teachers in Bayelsa with world class resources of the British Council.
She noted that another batch of newly recruited teachers are currently undergoing training at State government owned University of Africa, Toru Orua, Sagbama LGA in Bayelsa
Continue Reading

News

RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.

The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.

Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee

highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.

“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.

Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.

The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.

Continue Reading

Trending