Politics
Etche People Hail Amaechi
The people of Etche Local Government Area last week
poured economiums on Governor Chibuike Amaechi for elevating two traditional stools in the area to a first class status. The third one was raised to a second class status and covers Ozuzu Clan.
Commending Governor Amaechi for the gesture, Eze Ogbuga 1 of Etche, Chief Ambrose Nwuzi said “as an individual and for all the things Amaechi has done for Etche people this one is the climax”.
He revealed that the agitation for the elevation of traditional stools in the area began during the regime of Group Captin Sam Ewang, and that even when Dr. Peter Odili’s administration came to power, the Etche people tried without success .
Nwuzi said that the Etche people were happy with the governor for elevating the stools of Agwuru Igbo-Etche and Mba Clans to first class status, but noted that more stools needed to be upgraded in Omuma, Ulakwo and Ozuzu Clans.
On his part, Onyisi Agwuru of Ozuzu Clan, Eze M.R.A. Amaechi noted that the governor had shown love to the people of Etche, “We are praying that he overcomes all – calamity before him”, he prayed.
Returning to the State on Monday, Governor Chibuike Amaechi convened a State Executive Council meeting. Shortly after the meeting, Commissioner for Information and Communications dismissed claims by the Grassroot Democratic Initiative (GDI) that six Commissioners were about to defect to the group.
Semenitari described the claims as false and misleading, as she assured that the State Executive Council was still intact, strong and committed to the administration of Governor Amaechi.
Governor Amaechi on Tuesday attended the inauguration of the Sokoto State University in Sokoto. The governor returned to the state after the programme.
On the same Tuesday, Senator representing Rivers South-East District, Magnus Ngei Abe gave stipends to 40 law graudates from the Senatorial District who are to proceed to the Law School.
Abe explained that the gesture was not a constituency project, but rather a way of assisting indigent students in pursuing their studies.
Recalling his experience, Abe said: “I almost did not go to Law School. I had gotten a friend who had agreed I would live in their house, and I had gotten some support but even the transport to go to Lagos I did not have”.
He continued, “I have come to realise that when you are at a critical junction, it is not N1 million that would help you rather it’s that small intervention coming at the very time that you need it that constitutes the difference between success and failure”.
The governor was at hand to receive President Goodluck Jonathan on Thursday at the Port Harcourt International Airport, Omagwa. Dr. Jonathan was in the State to attend the burial of the late foster mother of his wife, Mrs Charity Fyneface Oba.
Shortly after receiving the President and his entourage, Governor Amaechi and his Bayelsa State counterpart, Seriake Dickson joined the President in a helicopter that flew them to Okrika Town, venue of the burial.
President Jonathan and his wife were conferred with Chieftaincy titles by the Amadabo of Ogoloma, HRH Emmanuel Obudibo (Ikwo V). Dr. Jonathan was conferred with the title of “Se Lolia 1”, meaning moonlight of the nation, while his wife was given the title of “Se Yingibo”, mother of the nation.
On Friday, Governor Amaechi received Vice President, Namadi Sambo, Senate President, David mark and other state functionaries who were in the state to attend the last burial rites of Mrs Fyneface Oba, foster mother of the first lady. The governor also attended the funceral service held at Okrika at the weekend.
Politics
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
A senator who represented Taraba Central, Mr Abubakar Yusuf, has declared that the economic policies of President Bola Tinubu are not yielding the expected results.
His comment is one of the strongest internal critiques yet from within the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
The comment underscores the growing dissatisfaction within sections of the ruling party over the direction and impact of the administration’s economic reforms amid rising living costs and fiscal pressures across the country.
Mr Yusuf, who served in the Senate between 2015 and 2023 under the platform of the APC, made the remarks during an appearance on national television.
Responding to a question on whether the administration’s economic direction, often referred to as Tinubunomics, was working, Mr Yusuf answered in the contrary.
“For me, it is not working. I am a member of the APC. I would be the last person to hide the facts”, he said.
He said while the government might be operating diligently within its policy structure, the framework itself is ill-suited to Nigeria’s current realities
“Within the policy framework, yes, they are doing their best, but it is not the framework that is suitable for Nigeria at the point in time that President Asiwaju came into power,” he said.
Mr Yusuf criticised the immediate removal of fuel subsidy on the day the president was sworn in, arguing that the decision lacked sufficient consultation and planning.
“I am one of those who say President Asiwaju ought to have waited. Not on the day he was sworn in to say subsidy is gone. On what basis?”, he asked.
He urged broader engagement before major fiscal decisions are taken.
“Sit down with your cabinet, sit down with your ministers, sit down with your advisers,” he said, dismissing the argument that subsidy removal was justified solely on grounds of corruption.
The former lawmaker identified “structural flaws” in the country’s budgeting system, particularly the envelope budgeting model.
“One of the basic problems is that before you budget, you should have a plan. The envelope system we have been operating has been you budget before you plan. That has been a major issue”, he said.
He argued that allocating spending ceilings without aligning them to concrete development strategies inevitably weakens implementation and delivery.
“If you give me an envelope which is contrary to my plan, whether it is plus or minus, there is no way I am going to implement my plan. It is bound to fail,” he said.
Mr Yusuf called for the scrapping of the envelope budgeting system, noting that he had consistently opposed it even during his years in the National Assembly.
“It is not good for us. It is not going to work well for us,” he said.
He further blamed poor capital releases and persistent deficit financing for undermining budget performance over the years.
“We could not meet 60 percent of our capital budget in all these years. No releases. If you make a budget and the release is very poor, there is no way the budget will be executed”, he stated.
According to him, weak fund disbursement mechanisms and reliance on deficit financing have entrenched a cycle of underperformance.
“Our budget ought to have been a surplus budget, but all our budgets have always been deficit financing budgets,” Mr Yusuf added.
Politics
Reps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
The Nigerian House of Representatives has resolved to reconvene for an emergency session tomorrow February 17, 2026, to deliberate on issues arising from the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) release of the timetable for the 2027 general elections.
The decision was disclosed in a statement issued by the House Spokesman, Rep. Akin Rotimi, who described the electoral body’s announcement as one of “constitutional and national significance.”
INEC had fixed February 20, 2027, for the Presidential and National Assembly elections.
According to the statement, members of the Green Chamber were notified of the emergency sitting through an internal memorandum from the Speaker’s office.
The session is expected to focus on legislative matters connected to the newly released timetable, reflecting the House’s resolve to act promptly on issues affecting the nation’s democratic process.
Rep. Rotimi noted that all related businesses would be treated with urgency and urged lawmakers to prioritise attendance in view of the importance of the deliberations.
INEC had on Friday formally unveiled the comprehensive schedule for the 2027 polls, including timelines for party primaries slated for July to September 2026, as well as the commencement of Continuous Voter Registration in April 2026.
The development comes amid ongoing consultations and proposed amendments to the Electoral Act ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Politics
Group Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
As the controversy over the transmission of election results continues across the country, the Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), a pro democracy organisation in the country, has criticised the National Assembly for not giving express approval to real time transmission of elections results.
To this end, the group is calling on all civil society organisations in the country to mobilise and push for a better Electoral Reform in the country.
This was contained in a press statement titled, “Defence For Human Rights and Democracy Demands Real Time Election Transmission of Result”, a copy of which was made available to newsmen in Port Harcourt.
The group described the refusal of compulsory real time transmission of result results by the Senate as undemocratic, adding that the situation will give room for election manipulation, rigging and voters apathy.
It said that the provision of mandatory real time transmission of election results would have significant improvement on the nation’s democracy.
According to the statement, “Since the return of democracy in 1999 to date, it is 27 years, so our Democracy has metamorphosed from being nascent and as such significant improvement should have been recorded.
“Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is really disappointed at the National Assembly, especially the upper chamber (Senate) for not approving ‘Real Time Electronic Transmission of Election Result’.
“This undemocratic act of theirs, if not tamed, will give room for election manipulation and rigging’”.
Signed by Comrade Clifford Christopher Solomon on behalf of the organisation, the statement further said, “The Defence For Human Rights and Democracy unequivocally supports real time transmission of election result”, stressing that his group will resist any act by the National Assembly to undermine the nation’s democracy.
“DHRD,unequivocally supports ‘True Democracy’, which is Government of the people, by the people and for the people.
“Therefore, anything that will crash the hope of Nigerians to Freely, Fairly and Transparently elect candidates of their choice in any given election should and will be vehemently resisted because good governance begins with leaders elected through credible process. By so doing, leaders have entered a social contract with the citizens to equitably manage their affairs and abundant resources”, the statement added.
It urged the National Assembly to revisit the issue in order to avoid civil unrest.
According to the DHRD, “To avoid civil unrest,voters apathy, election rigging and manipulation, rather to promote citizens participation, advancing our Democracy and entrenching free, fair, credible and acceptable electoral outcome, the National Assembly should amend the electoral act in a manner that will deepen our democracy and boost citizens confidence.
“On this note, The Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is calling on all other civil society organisations (CSOs) to mobilise, organise and push for a better electoral act amendment by the National Assembly”.
By: John Bibor
