Business
Minister Reassures On East-West Road Completion
The ongoing East-West Road project will be completed and delivered to the people of the Niger Delta in December 2014, the Minister of Niger Delta Affairs, Mr Godsday Orubebe, has said.
Orubebe said this on Thursday in Abuja at the 2013 Ministerial Platform to commemorate the Mid-Term Anniversary of President Goodluck Jonathan in office.
“Today I can also tell you that there is a financial plan that will enable this government to complete this project by December, 2014. This is a government that when we talk, we do it. And when we know that we cannot do it, we don’t come to the public to say it.
“Today if you go to East-West Road, work is steadily going on. Some sections of the roads have been completed. And the good news I have for the people of Niger Delta and Nigeria is that this road will be delivered by the government of President Goodluck Jonathan by December, 2014.
“We are also doing some other projects in Niger Delta. 12 other road projects we are doing. And I can also tell you that these projects are suffering. They have to make some sacrifice to move the East-West Road forward.
“Lot of funds that were supposed to be for these other roads have been diverted to East-West Road because we believe that completion of that road is critical to the economy of this country. And so, 12 roads are at various stages of completion.“
The minister said 36 of the 42 bridges had been completed, adding that 786 of the 1070 culverts had been completed.
He recalled that the East-West Road project was awarded by President Olusegun Obasanjo’s administration at the cost of over N300 billion, adding that the then government provided N1.2 billion for the execution of the project.
He said that the project was supposed to have been completed in 2009.
Orubebe said after the ministry was created and took over the project in 2010, it realised that there was no detailed drawing and design for the project.
“It was when we came on board that we took on the detail design and drawing of this road. It was as if we are starting all over.“
The minister said that it was during the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan that the ministry was able to have financial plan, detailed drawing and design for the project.
He attributed the challenges that hindered the completion of the project to kidnapping and excessive demand for funds by the contractors.
Business
Two Federal Agencies Enter Pack On Expansion, Sustainable Electricity In Niger Delta
Business
Why The AI Boom May Extend The Reign Of Natural Gas
Business
Ogun To Join Oil-Producing States ……..As NNPCL Kicks Off Commercial Oil Production At Eba
-
Politics3 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports3 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business3 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Sports3 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
Featured3 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
News3 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Sports3 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports3 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
