Connect with us

Business

CBN Recovers N8.6bn Excess Bank Charges

Published

on

The Central Bank of Nigeria last Monday said it had recovered N8.6 billion as excess charges fraudulently collected from customers by Deposit Money Banks.

The amount was recovered between May 29, 2012, when the Consumer Protection Department was created to protect the interest of consumers, and March 31 this year.

The Deputy Director, Consumer Protection Department, CBN, Mrs. Umma Dutse, made the disclosure during a chat with journalists in Abuja.

She said within the period, the central bank had received about 2,800 complaints bearing on excess charges, conversion and frauds, adding that some of the banks had been given the mandatory N2m fine.

The department was created with a view to promoting consumer confidence in the banking industry. Its role also includes advocacy, enlightenment, education and promotion of awareness among consumers in the industry.

Dutse said, “So far, the department have received and treated over 2,800 complaints from consumers against Deposit Money Banks as at the end of the first quarter of 2013.

“We have also been able to recover more than N8.6bn in favour of various consumers. The figures that I have just mentioned exclude complaints that have to do with Automated Teller Machines and electronic-related complaints, and also complaints from other financial institutions like microfinance institutions and Primary Mortgage Institutions. They are just complaints against Deposit Money Banks.”

She also said, “We have had cause to sanction some banks for breach of regulatory violation the normal N2m; and another thing is that the banks are compelled by the regulation to indicate in their annual financial statements all these breaches.

“So, I don’t think banks would want their shareholders to be seeing all these statistics that they are not consumer-friendly. I am sure with these, we will see great changes very soon.”

The disclosure came barely a week after the Bankers’ Committee of the CBN revealed its plan to investigate the excessive charges imposed on customers by Deposit Money Banks.

Bank’s customers had in recent times complained about fresh and arbitrary charges imposed on them by the DMBs.

Although only few banks had announced publicly their plans to introduce new charges, investigation by our correspondent revealed that some of them had introduced the charges secretly.

For instance, First Bank of Nigeria Limited, Skye Bank Plc and Keystone Bank Limited recently introduced monthly maintenance fee on ATM cards, a move customers said was an indirect replacement of the scrapped N100 charge on ATM withdrawals.

Some banks were also said to charge as high as N50 for SMS to alert their customers of transactions on their accounts, far above the usual N4 that all mobile telecommunications providers charge for text messages.

Other arbitrary charges include N500 monthly maintenance fee for every current account, depending on the bank; and N5 inter-state commission on every N1,000 transferred into or withdrawn from savings accounts in a state different from where the savings account is opened or domiciled.

In some banks, customers forfeit their monthly interests when they withdraw more than three times in a month from a particular account.

But Dutse said the CBN would continue to ensure fair treatment as well as inculcate ethical practices among financial service providers in their relationship with consumers.

To achieve this, she said the bank would put in place a very strong monitoring and compliance scheme that would enable banks to stop arbitrary charges.

She said, “We are going to put a very strong monitoring and compliance scheme that is going to ensure that the banks do what they are supposed to do and I can assure you that with time, the banks will stop all these charges.

“All they need is to be monitored and to ensure that they are complying with regulation.”

Continue Reading

Business

Boat Mishap Kills Pastor, Wife And Church Members  In Brass Water

Published

on

A boat accident in Bayelsa state has killed a serving Pastor, Wife and other church members along Brass waterways
The sad incident happened at Odioama in Brass local government area of Bayelsa State when the Pastor, wife and  members of his church were in a programme.
?
?Tide confirmed that the lifeless body of the Pastor’s wife has been found and deposited in a mortuary while the remains of her husband ,the Pastor is yet  to be recovered
as search party are still ongoing.
Although the real cause of the boat Mishap is not yet known as at the time of this report,  our Correspondent gathered  that the identities of the Pastor, wife and church members were not disclosed to the public.
The mishap, Tide gathered occurred on Friday morning when the church members were on a boat transit
The Bayelsa State government and the state police command are yet to issue official statement’s  on the sad accident
By: CHINEDU WOSU
Continue Reading

Business

Rivers Workers Seek Scrapping Of Contributory Pension Scheme

Published

on

The Rivers State Council of  Nigeria Civil Service Union has called on the State Government to urgently scrap the contributory pension scheme, describing it as unfavourable to long-serving civil servants in the state.
Chairman of the union, Chukwuka Osuma, said this in an interview with newsmen in Port Harcourt,  recently.
Osuma said the current pension structure has continued to worsen post-retirement hardship for workers.
He noted that  the contributory pension scheme had failed to provide adequate retirement security for workers who had spent many years in service, especially those approaching retirement age.
According to him, civil servants who had served for more than 20 years were among the worst affected under the scheme, insisting that many retirees could no longer cope with prevailing economic realities.
He also  informed that the Union has made moves to showcase their concerns, pleading with Governor Siminalayi Fubara to abolish the pension policy and introduce a more favourable arrangement for affected workers.
“The union was not opposed to pension reforms, the contributory scheme should only apply to newly employed workers or those with fewer years in service”, he said.
Osuma explained that workers who had already spent decades in the civil service ought to remain under a more secure pension structure capable of guaranteeing stability after retirement.
The labour leader further noted that inflation and the rising cost of living had continued to erode the value of retirement savings, thereby increasing the suffering of pensioners across the country.
He also appealed to the state government to consider extending the years of service in the civil service from 35 to 40 years and the retirement age from 60 to 65 years.
Osuma argued that such adjustment had become necessary in view of present-day economic realities and changing conditions in the workplace.
The unionist also reviewed that similar policies had already been adopted in some sectors and jurisdictions, expressing optimism that the State could also implement the reforms for the benefit of workers.
He however, commended Governor Fubara for approving an N85,000 minimum wage for workers in the state, noting that the amount was above the national benchmark of N70,000.
Osuma also acknowledged the government’s efforts in the area of workers’ promotions and bonuses, but insisted that pension reforms and extension of years of service remained critical to the long-term welfare and stability of civil servants in Rivers State.
By: King Onunwor
Continue Reading

Business

FG Begins South-West Tour To Promote New Cooperative Bank

Published

on

The Federal Government has launched the South-West zonal engagement and ministerial advocacy tour on the Cooperative Bank of Nigeria share capital mobilisation, sensitisation and cooperative sector digitalisation.
 Reports say the initiative was launched through the Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Food Security.
According to reports, the advocacy tour, organised by the ministry’s Federal Department of Cooperatives, began on Monday in Lagos.
Speaking at the event, the Minister of State for Agriculture and Food Security and Supervising Minister of Cooperative Affairs, Dr Aliyu Abdullahi, said the initiative was part of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s Renewed Hope Agenda.
Abdullahi described the exercise as a strategic effort to reposition the cooperative sector as a key driver of inclusive economic growth, financial inclusion, enterprise development, food security and national prosperity.
“Today represents a defining moment in our collective determination to reposition the cooperative sector as a major driver of inclusive economic growth, financial inclusion, enterprise development, food security and national prosperity,” he said.
The minister noted  the modern cooperative movement in Nigeria originated in the South-West following the 1934 Strickland Report, which led to the enactment of the Cooperative Societies Ordinance of 1935.
According to him, the decision to commence the sensitisation and share capital mobilisation tour in the region is symbolic, as it marks a return to the roots of cooperative development in the country.
Abdullahi said the advocacy tour was a direct outcome of resolutions reached at the 8th Regular Meeting of the National Council on Cooperative Affairs held in Abuja in March 2026.
He said the council approved the Renewed Hope Cooperative Reform and Revamp Programme, a comprehensive framework designed to strengthen the cooperative sector and align it with the administration’s goal of building a one-trillion-dollar economy.
“The reform programme focuses on seven strategic pillars, including governance reforms, cooperative financing and the establishment of the Cooperative Bank of Nigeria, digitalisation, capacity building, value chain development, inclusion of youths, women and persons with disabilities, and strategic partnerships,” he said.
He said the establishment of the Cooperative Bank of Nigeria and the digitalisation of the cooperative sector were the two major transformational initiatives under the programme.
“The Cooperative Bank of Nigeria is aimed at rebuilding a strong cooperative financial system capable of supporting cooperators, farmers, artisans, traders, SMEs, youths, women and persons with disabilities with accessible and affordable financial services,” he said.
Abdullahi emphasised that the proposed bank would be government-enabled but not government-funded.
“Government is not establishing the bank as an owner, nor will it rely on Treasury Single Account funds.
“The role of government through the FMAFS is to provide policy support, stakeholder coordination, regulatory facilitation and an enabling environment under the Renewed Hope Cooperative Reform and Revamp Programme,” he said.
Also speaking, the Lagos State Commissioner for Commerce, Cooperatives, Trade and Investment, Mrs Folashade Ambrose-Medebem, reaffirmed the state government’s commitment to cooperative sector transformation.
She described cooperatives as critical tools for promoting inclusive growth, grassroots productivity, food security, financial inclusion and community wealth creation.
Ambrose-Medebem said Lagos State would continue to support reforms and collaborate with stakeholders to ensure the successful implementation of the Renewed Hope Cooperative Reform and Revamp Programme (2025–2030).
“Together, let us build a cooperative ecosystem that is modern, transparent, digitally enabled, financially inclusive and globally competitive.
“Let us build cooperatives that not only mobilise savings, but also mobilise prosperity,” she said.
Continue Reading

Trending