Sports
Fans In Calabar Call For Wenger’s Sack
Supporters of Arsenal FC of England in Calabar have called for the sack of the manager, Arsene Wenger, following the team’s scandalous defeat by rivals Manchester United on Sunday at Old Trafford.
Some of the angry fans said in Calabar that the 8-2 humiliation was an evidence of the sliding fortunes of the club.
“If Wenger continues to remain as the head coach of Arsenal, the club will be relegated because he has refused to buy experienced players,’’ said Mr Jude Okwe, a journalist.
Okwe said that Wenger had remained adamant in making reasonable signings, insisting that unless he was sacked, nothing would come out of the club in the current season.
“Wenger has forgotten that when he had the likes of Nwankwo Kanu, Marc Overmars and Patrick Vieira, he almost won everything.
“So, he should know that a good team should be a blend of the old and new,’’ he said.
Another supporter, Mr Steve Ndem, a barber, said that Wenger needed to change his approach if he was to succeed.
“For Arsenal to succeed this season, Wenger must drop his tight economic policy and enter the market immediately for some quality players,” he said.
Ndem urged the club directors to go back to the drawing board on the issue of summer signings and make money available as soon as possible.
“The club directors should make funds available for more players and if Wenger refuses to buy, he should be sacked, ” he said.
Mr Ambrose Duru, a student, however, said that it was too early to call for Wenger’s exit, stressing that the premiership was still young to assess the strength of the team.
“The squad is very young and may overcome the initial stage fright before long but that should not stop the coach from buying mature and experienced players,” he said.
Duru further said it would be a miracle if Arsenal finished among the top four in the current season.
He said Arsenal needed overhauling from the coaching crew to the players, adding that the club’s policy of selling players without replacements was dangerous.
“The club sold Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri and Gael Clichy and is still planning to sell more before the close of the transfer market.
“Incidentally, they are not making any serious offer for top quality players in Europe, so this is ridiculous,” Duru said.
The loss to Manchester United was the second for the club in the three-week old 2011/2012 premiership season.
Arsenal had earlier lost to Liverpool FC 2-0 and drew 0-0 with Newcastle United in their opening game of the season.
Sports
Amusan places third in Diamond League opener
The Nigerian, who arrived in China fresh from winning gold at the African Senior Athletics Championships in Ghana earlier on Wednesday, clocked a season’s best of 12.41s behind Olympic champion Masai Russell and Bahamian star Devynne Charlton.
Russell produced a dominant display to win the race in a meeting record and world-leading time of 12.25s, improving on her previous world lead of 12.40s.
Charlton, the reigning world indoor champion, finished second in 12.38s in one of her strongest outdoor performances to date.
Amusan, whose world record of 12.12s remains the fastest time ever run in the event, improved significantly from her previous season’s best of 12.84s set during her victorious outing at the African Championships in Accra.
The 29-year-old was competing in a stacked field that included reigning world champion Ditaji Kambundji of Switzerland, Jamaican pair Megan Simmonds and Ackera Nugent, China’s Wu Yanni and Americans Tonea Marshall and Danielle Williams.
Kambundji, who won the world title in Tokyo last year with a Swiss record 12.24s, finished fifth in 12.82s, while Jamaica’s Nugent placed sixth in 12.98s.
Marshall and Williams failed to finish the race.
Following Amusan’s victory in Accra, the three-time Diamond League final winner expressed gratitude to her supporters while insisting she remained determined to achieve more success this season.
“Beyond grateful to God, my team, supporters, and everyone who continues to believe in me through every season. Historic feeling. Still hungry for more. The mission continues,”
Sports
Falcons To Tackle Senegal in Pre-WAFCON friendly
The 10-time African champions are scheduled to take on the Teranga Lionesses on June 5 and 8 at the Remo Stars Stadium in Ikenne, Ogun State, in what will form a key part of their build-up to July’s continental tournament.
The fixtures were confirmed on social media platform X by Super Falcons Show, which announced the details of the encounter and venue.
“Nigeria’s senior women’s national team, the Super Falcons, will take on Senegal Women’s National Team in a double-header international friendly scheduled for June 5 and 8,” the post read.
“Both matches will be played in Ikenne, Nigeria.”
The friendlies come after Nigeria’s proposed training tour of the United Kingdom, which included a planned match against Jamaica, was cancelled due to scheduling complications linked to FIFA’s official women’s international window. The timing meant clubs would not have been obliged to release players.
With that tour shelved, the Senegal fixtures now offer a timely opportunity for coach Justine Madugu and his technical team to assess squad options, test tactical systems and strengthen team cohesion ahead of the WAFCON campaign and longer-term qualification targets for the 2027 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Brazil.
Senegal are expected to provide a competitive regional test, with their physical style and disciplined organisation likely to offer Nigeria a different tactical challenge across both matches.
The Super Falcons, who have dominated African women’s football for decades, will be aiming to use the double-header to fine-tune preparations as they pursue another continental title in Morocco next year.
Sports
Okpekpe Road Race Unveils Partners, Appoints Dr. Bojuwoye
Dr Bojuwoye, a seasoned medical professional with extensive experience in road running events across Nigeria, is expected to bring added value to the race through his expertise.
As medical director, his responsibilities will include overseeing emergency medical response, coordinating first aid stations along the course, ensuring athlete safety, and supervising medical volunteers and paramedics.
His role is critical in safeguarding the health of both elite and recreational runners, as well as spectators.
In addition to unveiling its new medical director, the organisers also announced five corporate partners for the 2026 edition.
The Development Bank of Nigeria (DBN), Petralon Energy, Razzl Drink, Dan Oil, and Carloha Motors have joined as sponsors, reflecting the race’s growing appeal across diverse sectors of the Nigerian economy.
The Okpekpe race, organised by Pamodzi Sports Marketing Company, has steadily risen in prominence since becoming the first road race in Nigeria to earn World Athletics label status in 2015.
It has since advanced to Gold Label Race status, attracting elite athletes from around the world and cementing its reputation as one of Africa’s benchmark road-running competitions.
Edo State, under the leadership of Governor Monday Okpebolo, has reaffirmed its commitment to supporting the race, citing its role in promoting tourism, community pride, and international recognition for the region.
Race Director Zack Amodu noted that the new partnerships underscore the event’s stature and its impact beyond sport.
We are delighted to welcome DBN, Petralon, Razzl, and Carloha Motors as partners for the 11th edition. Their support, alongside the backing of Edo State, not only strengthens the race but also reinforces its role as a platform for promoting excellence, youth empowerment, and community development,’ Amodu said.
Beyond its sporting significance, the Okpekpe International 10km Road Race has become a catalyst for social, health, and economic benefits.
It encourages fitness and healthy lifestyles, fosters social cohesion by bringing communities together, and generates economic activity through tourism, hospitality, and local commerce.
The event also showcases Edo State’s cultural vibrancy while contributing to Nigeria’s growing reputation in global athletics.
The 11th edition is expected to draw elite athletes, local participants, and international attention, further consolidating Nigeria’s place on the global athletics calendar.
-
Editorial5 days agoEnough Of Xenophobic Attacks On Nigerians
-
Sports5 days agoOparaodu Urges Rivers United To Win Katsina United
-
Education5 days agoUNIPort Senate Grants Two-Year Amnesty to U2010–U2018 Students
-
Nation5 days agoRSU, Otonti Nduka Foundation Holds Centenary Conference, Unveil Book on Values in Nigeria
-
Oil & Energy5 days agoRivers PETROAN Elects 12-Member Executive
-
Politics5 days ago
APC Group Protests Ex–Presidential Aspirant’s Disqualification From Rivers Senatorial Race
-
Sports5 days ago” Nigeria’s best domestic players are not in NPFL”
-
Politics5 days ago
Reps Speaker Secures APC Return Ticket For Fifth Term
