Connect with us

Niger Delta

Group Urges Buhari To Inaugurate NDDC Board

Published

on

A civil defence movement, Niger Delta Progressive Network (NDPN), has joined numerous stakeholders to appeal to President Muhammadu Buhari to honour his words and inaugurate the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) board which was examined and confirmed by the Senate of the Federal Republic. Nigeria on November 5, 2019.
Disclosing this in a statement signed by the National President, Kaniye Amakiri and National Secretary, Asuquo Inyang, on behalf of the group, they reminded Mr. President that on June 24, 2021, while receiving the leadership of the Ijaw National Congress ( INC), promised in very clear terms that it would inaugurate the already revised and confirmed NDDC board upon completion and receipt of the Forensic Auditors report.
Recall that the general body of the Ijaw nation, worldwide, the Ijaw National Congress (INC) also recently warned that “any further delay in the inauguration of the NDDC board is a clear betrayal of trust and callousness of the State in the Ijaw nation and the Niger Delta region. “
The INC’s call followed President Buhari’s promise on June 24, 2021, while he was hosting the Ijaw National Congress at the State House in Abuja, in which President Buhari said that the NDDC Board would be inaugurated as soon as the forensic audit report was submitted. and accepted.
The president said: “ Based on the mismanagement that had previously affected the NDDC, a forensic audit was established and the result is expected by the end of July 2021. I want to assure you that as soon as the report of the forensic audit is submitted and accepted, the NDDC Board will be inaugurated. “
The group reminded President Buhari that the Federal Government also reiterated its position to inaugurate the Board confirmed by the Senate immediately after the conclusion of the forensic audit during the inaugural ceremony of the Interim Management Committee (IMC) of the NDDC in 2019.
Therefore, Niger Delta Progressive Network urged Chairman Buhari to fulfil this promise and inaugurate the board without further delay, now that the Forensic Audit has concluded and thereby to shame those who doubt his sincerity and commitment to keep his words. .
Said the group: “Finally, we wish to remind the President that with the receipt of the forensic audit report, the inauguration of the board will mark a new beginning not only for the commission but also for the people of the Niger Delta.”
The NDPN also stated that it aligned its members with the calls, demands and peaceful agitations of youth, men and women, political and traditional leaders and civil society organisations in the Niger Delta that the inauguration of the NDDC Board will promote and will maintain peace, fairness and justice, transparency and accountability, good governance and rapid development and transformation of the Niger Delta region, and defuse the tension of militancy and reduce the threat of insecurity in the region.
The NDPN noted that while the Northeast Development Commission (NEDC) had been allowed to function with its duly constituted Board in place in accordance with its NEDC Act, thus ensuring adequate corporate governance, accountability, checks and balances, and representation fair of its constituent states, the NDDC, on the other hand, has been arbitrarily administered in the last 2 years by interim committees / sole administrator in violation of the NDDC Act even after President Buhari had appointed a Board for the NDDC that was duly confirmed by the Nigerian Senate on November 5, 2019, but was asked to stand by for inauguration after forensic audit.
Therefore, the group urged the president to now comply with the NDDC Act and fulfil his promise by inaugurating the Commission’s Governing Board to ensure accountability, checks and balances, probity, and equitable representation of the nine constituent states. from the Niger Delta region.

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending