Politics
RSG, Ethiopian Airlines Sign Agreement On Permanent Flight To PH
Last week, Rivers State Government and the management of Ethiopian Airlines reached an agreement in principle for the operation of permanent international flights from the Port Harcourt International Airport. The agreement is however, subject to the approval of the relevant federal agencies.
Rivers State Governor Chief Nyesom Wike led a high powered delegation of the state government to the headquarters of Ethiopian Airlines in Addis Ababa on Wednesday and Thursday last week where they met with representatives of the management of the airlines and deliberated on the issue.
The Chief Commercial Officer of Ethiopian Airlines, Esayas Wolde Marian, in an address, said Ethiopian Airlines has agreed to fly permanently from Port Harcourt International Airport.
He solicited for the assistance of the Rivers State Governor to enable the airline get the nod of relevant federal agencies.
He said: “ We are willing and capable to fly into Port Harcourt on a regular basis. For now we have exhausted our bilateral Air Agreement Approval and we need another approval to operate the Port Harcourt route.
“ We need your help to ensure that approval comes from the federal authorities. At least there should be a temporary operating permit, pending the final approval “.
He promised that Ethiopian Airlines will also embark on advertisements to promote Port Harcourt as a tourism and investment destination.
In his response, Governor Wike declared the willingness of the state government to provide an enabling environment for Ethiopian Airlines to operate in the state and assured that he will meet with the Minister of Aviation to ensure that Port Harcourt International Airport is approved for Ethiopian Airlines as a destination.
He disclosed that his administration is working towards making Port Harcourt a regional air transport hub for greater economic development of the state.
Governor Wike said: “ As we therefore consolidate on our achievements, we want to also focus on making Port Harcourt city a regional air transport hub through the Private Public Partnership approach while leveraging on existing aviation infrastructure and related market and other advantages of the state.
“ I wish to assure you that we are willing to do everything within our powers and spheres of authority and influence to facilitate the realisation of your interest and desire to directly and sustainably fly from Port Harcourt to Addis Ababa and other parts of the world.
The state Chief Executive thanked the management of the airlines for its interest in expanding and retaining their services in Port Harcourt adding that Rivers State Government will offer it’s social partnership, goodwill and support.
He noted that Port Harcourt city is strategically located to serve as a transit point for the entire South South and parts of the SouthEast.
The Governor also stated that the state government will sponsor indigenes of Rivers State to study at the Ethiopian Aviation Academy, a subsidiary of Ethiopian Airlines.
Stressing that benefit derivable from the partnership are in many areas, the governor said as an emerging regional aviation hub, there was the need to train aviation professionals.
Wike directed his Executive Assistant on Research and Documentation, Dr Jacob Beredugo and Professor Kaisirm Nwuke, a Rivers professional working with an international agency in Ethiopia to liaise with the management of Ethiopian Airlines to actualise the goals of Rivers State Government/Ethiopian Airlines partnership.
Governor Wike was accompanied on the trip to Addis Ababa by the Former Deputy Speaker of House of Representatives, Rt Hon Austin Opara, PDP Chairman of Rivers State, Bro Felix Obuah, the Director General, Rivers State Bureau of Public Procurement, Mr Thompson Emmanuel, a former member of the Rivers State House of Assembly, Felix Nwaeke, former chairman of Eleme Local Government Council, Chief Ejor N. Ejor, and President of Port Harcourt Investors and Entrepreneurs Forum , Ibifiri Bob- Manuel.
Another major event last week was inspection of ongoing projects by the governor, last Friday . He inspected hostels of the newly constituted Real Madrid Football Academy, Port Harcourt and ongoing road projects in the Phase 11 GRA.
The Governor urged contractors to ensure that they deliver their work on schedule.
The governor was accompanied by the Administrator of Greater Port Harcourt City Authority, Ambassador Desmond Akawor.
Chris Oluoh
Politics
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
A senator who represented Taraba Central, Mr Abubakar Yusuf, has declared that the economic policies of President Bola Tinubu are not yielding the expected results.
His comment is one of the strongest internal critiques yet from within the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
The comment underscores the growing dissatisfaction within sections of the ruling party over the direction and impact of the administration’s economic reforms amid rising living costs and fiscal pressures across the country.
Mr Yusuf, who served in the Senate between 2015 and 2023 under the platform of the APC, made the remarks during an appearance on national television.
Responding to a question on whether the administration’s economic direction, often referred to as Tinubunomics, was working, Mr Yusuf answered in the contrary.
“For me, it is not working. I am a member of the APC. I would be the last person to hide the facts”, he said.
He said while the government might be operating diligently within its policy structure, the framework itself is ill-suited to Nigeria’s current realities
“Within the policy framework, yes, they are doing their best, but it is not the framework that is suitable for Nigeria at the point in time that President Asiwaju came into power,” he said.
Mr Yusuf criticised the immediate removal of fuel subsidy on the day the president was sworn in, arguing that the decision lacked sufficient consultation and planning.
“I am one of those who say President Asiwaju ought to have waited. Not on the day he was sworn in to say subsidy is gone. On what basis?”, he asked.
He urged broader engagement before major fiscal decisions are taken.
“Sit down with your cabinet, sit down with your ministers, sit down with your advisers,” he said, dismissing the argument that subsidy removal was justified solely on grounds of corruption.
The former lawmaker identified “structural flaws” in the country’s budgeting system, particularly the envelope budgeting model.
“One of the basic problems is that before you budget, you should have a plan. The envelope system we have been operating has been you budget before you plan. That has been a major issue”, he said.
He argued that allocating spending ceilings without aligning them to concrete development strategies inevitably weakens implementation and delivery.
“If you give me an envelope which is contrary to my plan, whether it is plus or minus, there is no way I am going to implement my plan. It is bound to fail,” he said.
Mr Yusuf called for the scrapping of the envelope budgeting system, noting that he had consistently opposed it even during his years in the National Assembly.
“It is not good for us. It is not going to work well for us,” he said.
He further blamed poor capital releases and persistent deficit financing for undermining budget performance over the years.
“We could not meet 60 percent of our capital budget in all these years. No releases. If you make a budget and the release is very poor, there is no way the budget will be executed”, he stated.
According to him, weak fund disbursement mechanisms and reliance on deficit financing have entrenched a cycle of underperformance.
“Our budget ought to have been a surplus budget, but all our budgets have always been deficit financing budgets,” Mr Yusuf added.
Politics
Reps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
The Nigerian House of Representatives has resolved to reconvene for an emergency session tomorrow February 17, 2026, to deliberate on issues arising from the Independent National Electoral Commission’s (INEC) release of the timetable for the 2027 general elections.
The decision was disclosed in a statement issued by the House Spokesman, Rep. Akin Rotimi, who described the electoral body’s announcement as one of “constitutional and national significance.”
INEC had fixed February 20, 2027, for the Presidential and National Assembly elections.
According to the statement, members of the Green Chamber were notified of the emergency sitting through an internal memorandum from the Speaker’s office.
The session is expected to focus on legislative matters connected to the newly released timetable, reflecting the House’s resolve to act promptly on issues affecting the nation’s democratic process.
Rep. Rotimi noted that all related businesses would be treated with urgency and urged lawmakers to prioritise attendance in view of the importance of the deliberations.
INEC had on Friday formally unveiled the comprehensive schedule for the 2027 polls, including timelines for party primaries slated for July to September 2026, as well as the commencement of Continuous Voter Registration in April 2026.
The development comes amid ongoing consultations and proposed amendments to the Electoral Act ahead of the 2027 general elections.
Politics
Group Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
As the controversy over the transmission of election results continues across the country, the Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), a pro democracy organisation in the country, has criticised the National Assembly for not giving express approval to real time transmission of elections results.
To this end, the group is calling on all civil society organisations in the country to mobilise and push for a better Electoral Reform in the country.
This was contained in a press statement titled, “Defence For Human Rights and Democracy Demands Real Time Election Transmission of Result”, a copy of which was made available to newsmen in Port Harcourt.
The group described the refusal of compulsory real time transmission of result results by the Senate as undemocratic, adding that the situation will give room for election manipulation, rigging and voters apathy.
It said that the provision of mandatory real time transmission of election results would have significant improvement on the nation’s democracy.
According to the statement, “Since the return of democracy in 1999 to date, it is 27 years, so our Democracy has metamorphosed from being nascent and as such significant improvement should have been recorded.
“Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is really disappointed at the National Assembly, especially the upper chamber (Senate) for not approving ‘Real Time Electronic Transmission of Election Result’.
“This undemocratic act of theirs, if not tamed, will give room for election manipulation and rigging’”.
Signed by Comrade Clifford Christopher Solomon on behalf of the organisation, the statement further said, “The Defence For Human Rights and Democracy unequivocally supports real time transmission of election result”, stressing that his group will resist any act by the National Assembly to undermine the nation’s democracy.
“DHRD,unequivocally supports ‘True Democracy’, which is Government of the people, by the people and for the people.
“Therefore, anything that will crash the hope of Nigerians to Freely, Fairly and Transparently elect candidates of their choice in any given election should and will be vehemently resisted because good governance begins with leaders elected through credible process. By so doing, leaders have entered a social contract with the citizens to equitably manage their affairs and abundant resources”, the statement added.
It urged the National Assembly to revisit the issue in order to avoid civil unrest.
According to the DHRD, “To avoid civil unrest,voters apathy, election rigging and manipulation, rather to promote citizens participation, advancing our Democracy and entrenching free, fair, credible and acceptable electoral outcome, the National Assembly should amend the electoral act in a manner that will deepen our democracy and boost citizens confidence.
“On this note, The Defence For Human Rights And Democracy (DHRD), is calling on all other civil society organisations (CSOs) to mobilise, organise and push for a better electoral act amendment by the National Assembly”.
By: John Bibor
