Connect with us

News

FAAC Uncovers N37.76bn Shortage In NNPC’s Revenue

Published

on

The monthly Federal Account Allocation Committee (FAAC) meeting, which began yesterday was inconclusive due to discrepancies of about N37.76 billion in revenue presented by the NNPC, as representatives of the 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja returned home yesterday disappointed as the Federation Accounts Allocation Committee (FAAC) meeting ended in confusion in Abuja amid disagreements over revenue figures presented by the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC).
The meeting, convened to consider and approve statutory revenue allocations for February, came to an abrupt end on a note almost becoming a familiar refrain for NNPC in recent times.
About an hour after the inconclusive meeting, the finance minister, Kemi Adeosun, announced it would continue on Wednesday morning. She also said she would hold a crucial meeting with the NNPC chief.
Last December, the FAAC meeting was equally stalemated, as members could not reconcile the revenue figures presented by the national oil company, which told a shocked nation at the height of a recent fuel crisis it spends N774 million daily to guarantee steady supply of petroleum products.
With a free pass granted the corporation to deduct as operational cost whatever expenses it incurs from fuel supply before remitting the balance to the Federation Account, close watchers of NNPC operations said Tuesday’s crisis was expected.
During the meeting, representatives of the states, consisting accountants-general and commissioners of finance, said it was their consensus not to approve the allocations to the three tiers of government for the month.
They described the discrepancies in revenue figures presented by the NNPC as a bad omen to workers in the country who may have to go without salary for the month until the issue is resolved.
The Accountant-General of the Federation, Mr Ahmed Idris told newsmen in Abuja, that the meeting was inconclusive because of irregularities in figures presented by the NNPC.
“Obviously, you are all aware that anything that has to do with federation revenue is statutory and, therefore, constitutional and we must always verify our figures to the last kobo.
“Failing to do so will amount to committing illegality and unconstitutionality. “It is on this note that we observe some issues in the figures given by one of the major revenue generating agencies namely the NNPC.
“The committee is of the opinion that until and unless these figures are reconciled, corrected, verified and factual; we cannot distribute the revenue as the case is.
The Accountant-General of the Federation, Ahmed Idris, who confirmed the development to reporters shortly after the meeting, at the headquarters of the Federal Ministry of Finance, Abuja, said a new schedule for the meeting would be communicated on a later date.
Mr Idris said the decision to postpone the meeting followed the discovery of “understated revenue” remitted by the NNPC into the Federation Account.
“We have just retired out of the Federation Accounts Allocation Committee meeting for the month of March where we considered the revenue figures for the federation for the previous month of February.
“Let me again be quick to inform Nigerians that we are sensitive with the issue and to the fact that state governments may find it difficult without this money. “But we have to follow the constitution and the laws for distribution of revenue,’’ he said.
Also, the Chairman, Forum of FAAC Commissioner, Mr Mahmoud Yunusa, said the forum rejected the amount presented by the NNPC because it was far lower than what was projected for the month. He argued that if the NNPC could not surpass what they presented in February, then they should not present anything less than what they presented the previous months.
“We started this meeting last week and NNPC did not submit their figures until yesterday (Monday), which we were not able to review until this morning.
“This morning when we were reviewing the figures as presented by the NNPC, it came as a great surprise to see that the amount was less than N100 billion. “So we (states) decided that we will not collect the amount presented, “We are contesting the figures because pipeline vandalism has reduced, while crude oil prices have continued to go up.
“On this note, we are wondering why the nation cannot raise enough money through that sector to share to states so that everyone can pay workers, contractors and so on. “We are well aware that this development may affect the payment of salaries in states, but we cannot hurriedly accept this money and then later cry foul play. “So, we should all be patient.
But we hope that with this latest development, NNPC will do the needful as soon as possible,’’ he said. Meanwhile, in a document obtained by the our correspondent, the NNPC paid in N74.06 billion into the federation account as oil revenue generated in the month of February, to be shared in March.
“Compared to the collection of N111.84 billion in Jan. 2018, the February collection of N74.06 billion is lower by N37. 76 billion or 33 per cent. “We were unable to meet the approved budget as a result of low collection from Concession Rentals and Petroleum Sharing Contracts (PSC) Royalty.
“We wish to note that the sum of N30.5 million for the Misc Oil revenue and N6.11 million for Gas Flared are on transit at the end of Feb. 2018.
“Furthermore, we received $16. 56 million out of the $85.94 million expected from PSC and MCA lifting for the month under review, therefore leaving $68.65 million as outstanding,’’ NNPC said.

Continue Reading

News

198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class

Published

on

A total of 198 students of the University of Benin (UNIBEN ) Edo State, bagged a First Class degree out of 14,083 students to be awarded first degree at the institution’s 51st Convocation and Founder’s Day ceremony.
Vice Chancellor of UNIBEN, Prof. Edoba Omoregie, disclosed this on Monday in Benin at a pre-convocation press briefing.
He said 4,217 students bagged a Second Class Upper,  7, 928 got a Second Class Lower, while 578 bagged a Third Class degree.
He said 15 new approved programmes by the National Universities Commission (NUC) would commence in the 2025/2026 academic session.
According to him, “The wheel of progress is on course and moving steadily in the University of Benin.  This administration is poised to deliver on its mandate of effective, practical teaching, sound learning, result-oriented research and impactful community service.
“We must applaud the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for establishing NELFUND, and by so doing significantly reducing the financial stress of students in the process of acquiring tertiary education.   We enjoin students and their parents to take full advantage of the federal government’s benevolence in instituting the fund.”
Prof. Omoregie disclosed that Nigeria’s Minister of Regional Development, Engr. Abubakar Momoh, would deliver the Founders’ Day lecture with the topic,  “Reforms for a Shared Prosperity”.
The UNIBEN VC said Director General of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs and Former Vice Chancellor of Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State, Professor Eghosa Osaghae, would deliver the Convocation Lecture on the theme, “Making Our Universities Great”.
Continue Reading

News

Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council  trains tra 1,000 teachers

Published

on

The last batch of 400 public school teachers in Bayelsa State on Monday commenced training under the sponsorship of Bayelsa Education Development Trust Fund (EDTF) and the British Council.
This batch will bring to 1000 the number of public school teachers in the state who have benefited in the partnership arrangement.School supplies
The EDTF, British Council and Teachers Training, Registration and Certification Board collaborated in the capacity development programme.
Speaking at the opening ceremony of the five day capacity building program, Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah reiterated the commitment of the Bayelsa government to training and capacity of teachers in the state.
He noted that the improved teaching methodology in the state was responsible for the state producing the best student in the 2025 West African School Certificate Examinations.
Prof Ebimiowei, Executive Secretary at EDTF, noted that the collaboration is aimed at improving learning outcomes for pupils and students of public primary and secondary schools in Bayelsa.
“You will agree with me that until the cutlass is sharpened, it will have no impact on the hands of the farmer and so it is with our teachers., you need to be sharpened very well to give good delivery in your various classes and schools.
“Let me at this juncture appreciate the British Council for accepting to train 1,000 teachers, 50 education managers and 60 trainers for Bayelsa,” he said.
On his part, Chairman of the EDTF board, High Chief Fidelis Agbiki expressed appreciation to the Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah for his supportive role to the fund.
Agbiki urged the beneficiaries to justify the enormous resources invested by the government of Bayelsa by being dedicated within the five days the exercise would last.
He said; “This board will not operate on business as usual but on business unusual as we will push the frontiers outside the box to ensure that we get value for money,” Agbiki said.
 Chairman of Development Partners Committee of the EDTF applauded the commitment of the partners for the successful completion of the programme, urging them to sustain the tempo
Speaking on the programme, Mr Fwanshishak Daniel, Head, English and Schools, British Council noted that the Bayelsa government had shown exemplary commitment to educational development.
He explained that the commitment has enabled the British Council and Bayelsa government to achieve within one year greater milestones that took other states three years to achieve.
He explained that the resources of the British Council have been made available to Bayelsa with the training of 60 resource persons from the state who will in turn train other teachers to improve education.
According to Daniel, the training will lay emphasis on new teaching methods, use of digital tools for self development and access to school amongst others.
Dr Peremoboere Ogola, Acting Chairman of TTRC, which facilitated training, thanked the EDTF for supporting training of teachers in Bayelsa with world class resources of the British Council.
She noted that another batch of newly recruited teachers are currently undergoing training at State government owned University of Africa, Toru Orua, Sagbama LGA in Bayelsa
Continue Reading

News

RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.

The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.

Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee

highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.

“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.

Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.

The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.

Continue Reading

Trending