Featured
Army Warns Killers In Adamawa, Benue, Taraba …As Death Toll From Plateau Herdsmen Attacks Hits 20
The Nigerian Army has warned all persons perpetrating various crimes against humanity in Adamawa, Benue and Taraba States to desist forthwith or be ready to face the full force of the military.
The Army’s stance signed by its Director, Public Relations, Brigadier General Texas Chukwu was displayed on its Twitter handle, @HQNigerianArmy.
Expressing worry at the wanton arson and killings in the country, especially in the three Northern states, the Army said it had directed its men to activate its rules on engagement in dealing with the crimes which they said were tantamount to arson and murder.
Describing the continued arson and killings in the three states as disturbing and senseless, the military spokesperson said it had mandated its commanders in the concerned areas to implement decisive actions to arrest the menace or face court-martial.
While noting that it was working with other security agencies to stem the tide, the Army avowed that it had resolved to arrest all perpetrators as well as their backers, no matter how highly placed they were.
The Army’s stance read, “The attention of the Nigerian Army has been drawn to the continued disturbing, senseless killings and wanton destruction of properties in Adamawa, Benue and Taraba States.
“Our Rules of Engagement (ROE) is clear on arson & murder, therefore, no such criminal acts would be allowed in any of the aforementioned states.
“We would like to unequivocally reiterate that Army HQs warns the arsonists and the killers to stop or face decisive action by troops.
In view of this, we strongly warn the perpetrators of these crimes to desist forthwith.
“The public are please reminded that when troops are called out for internal security operations, they are not to joke or persuade anyone.
We have warned our commanders on the ground to take decisive actions or face court-martial.
“The Nigerian Army in conjunction with sister services and other security agencies are working assiduously to identify and arrest all those involved regardless of their disposition in the society including government functionaries.”
Meanwhile, the death toll from the attacks on communities in Plateau State has risen to 20, the police have said.
Residents, however, said 25 people have been killed.
Our correspondent reported that the attacks on communities in Bokkos Local Government Area including on the days President Muhammadu Buhari visited the state. The attacks occurred between March 7 and 9.
Residents have blamed herdsmen for the attack.
Our correspondent gathered that victims were murdered in their sleep by gunmen who invaded Laake village in Kwall district of the local government.
The national president of Irigwe Development Association, Honourable Sunday Abdul, who confirmed this to Sunday Tribune in Jos, said the gunmen suspected to be Fulani herdsmen stormed Laake village in a commando-like operation, killing four children were killed in their sleep.
learnt that the incident started last Wednesday when gunmen, in their large numbers invaded both Dafo and Josho villages in the local government, with the attack said to have lasted till Friday.
The attackers, it was learnt, killed 18 people while two others died on their way to the hospital in Jos.
Worse hit villages included Ngakudung, Farunhai, Mhorok, Ganda and Warrem-Hotom.
Also hit were Maidunna and Josho, where Sen. Joshua Dariye (APC/Plateau Central), took relief materials to last week, following an attack on the village in February.
The councillor representing Dafo ward, Hon. Danjuma Mabas, who confirmed the latest number of causalities said, apart from the 20 that were given mass burial on Saturday, there were several others that are still missing, adding that over 50 houses were burnt.
“The attackers,” he said, “swooped on the two villages in their large number ahead of President Mohammadu Buhari’s visit to Plateau State, having got wind of the fact that the security men had been withdrawn to provide security for the president.”
“As of Friday evening, no fewer than 20 people were killed, over 50 houses were burnt while many other people are still missing,” Mabas added.
Another prominent native of Bokkos, Reverend Mamot Daladi Adams, said the withdrawal of security men at the local government paved the way for the gunmen to launch the attack on the affected villages.
He said: “From our findings, the security men on ground in the local government were withdrawn to protect Mr. President, who was on a two-day visit to Plateau State. The rate of attack in the state is highly disturbing; no fewer than five traditional rulers have been killed in this local government in recent times, yet the state government is deceiving the Federal Government that there is peace in the state.”
Some of the villagers, who spoke to newsmen, said that the attackers wore “black uniform” and had sophisticated guns.
“The attackers wore black uniforms and had something that looked liked a scarf on their heads,” one Malo Mafulul, told our correspondent at Ganda village.
Wabas, who confirmed Mafulul’s claims, described the situation as “scary,” saying that more people were still unaccounted for.
Major Umar Adams, the spokesman of Operation Save Haven (OPSH), the security outfit in charge of security in Plateau, confirmed the attacks.
Reacting to the allegation that the redeployment of military men to reinforce security operatives in Jos during the visit of Mr. President caused the killings in both Bokkos and Bassa local governments, the Media Officer of STF, Major Umar Adams said no soldier was redeployed from the two areas to Jos.
According to him, the military men used during the visit of Mr. President were those within Jos metropolis and its environs, adding that when the command got wind of the incident in Bokkos, it reacted promptly and was able to arrest five people in connection with the incident.
The state government also denied the insinuation that security men were withdrawn from both Bokkos and Bassa to reinforce the security men in Jos during the president’s visit.
Yesterday, the state’s police command confirmed the arrest of a herdsman with a military AK 47 rifle.
Terna Tyopev, the command’s spokesman, who confirmed the arrest to the News Agency of Nigeria on Sunday in Jos, gave the rifle’s number as HC2614.
He said that the herdsman, Muhammadu Bimini, was arrested by mobile police officers on March 8, at Daffo.
Mr. Tyopev said that the suspect had been transferred from Bokkos to the state Criminal Investigation Department (CID) in Jos and was already being interrogated.
The police spokesman said that 16 people had been confirmed killed in the multiple attacks on several villages that took place between Wednesday, March 7, and Friday, March 9.
He said that the command had deployed more personnel to restore peace to the troubled areas, and advised the people to remain calm and avoid taking laws into their hands.
Featured
Fubara Dissolves Rivers Executive Council
Rivers State Governor, Sir Siminialayi Fubara, has dissolved the State Executive Council.
The governor announced the cabinet dissolution yesterday in a statement titled ‘Government Special Announcement’, signed by his new Chief Press Secretary, Onwuka Nzeshi.
Governor Fubara directed all Commissioners and Special Advisers to hand over to the Permanent Secretaries or the most Senior officers in their Ministries with immediate effect.
He thanked the outgoing members of the State Executive Council for their service and wished them the best in their future endeavours.
The three-paragraph special announcement read, “His Excellency, Sir Siminalayi Fubara, GSSRS, Governor of Rivers State, has dissolved the State Executive Council.
“His Excellency, the Governor, has therefore directed all Commissioners and Special Advisers to hand over to the Permanent Secretaries or the most Senior officers in their Ministries with immediate effect.
“His Excellency further expresses his deepest appreciation to the outgoing members of the Executive Council wishing them the best in their future endeavours.”
Featured
INEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) yesterday told the National Assembly that it requires N873.78bn to conduct the 2027 general elections, even as it seeks N171bn to fund its operations in the 2026 fiscal year.
INEC Chairman, Prof Joash Amupitan, made the disclosure while presenting the commission’s 2026 budget proposal and the projected cost for the 2027 general elections before the National Assembly Joint Committee on Electoral Matters in Abuja.
According to Amupitan, the N873.78bn election budget covers the full conduct of national polls in 2027.
An additional N171bn is needed to support INEC’s routine activities in 2026, including bye-elections and off-season elections, the commission stated.
The INEC boss said the proposed election budget does not include a fresh request from the National Youth Service Corps seeking increased allowances for corps members engaged as ad-hoc staff during elections.
He explained that, although the details of specific line items were not exhaustively presented, the almost N1tn election budget is structured across five major components.
“N379.75bn is for operational costs, N92.32bn for administrative costs, N209.21bn for technological costs, N154.91bn for election capital costs and N42.61bn for miscellaneous expenses,” Amupitan said.
The INEC chief noted that the budget was prepared “in line with Section 3(3) of the Electoral Act 2022, which mandates the Commission to prepare its election budget at least one year before the general election.”
On the 2026 fiscal year, Amupitan disclosed that the Ministry of Finance provided an envelope of N140bn, stressing, however, that “INEC is proposing a total expenditure of N171bn.”
The breakdown includes N109bn for personnel costs, N18.7bn for overheads, N42.63bn for election-related activities and N1.4bn for capital expenditure.
He argued that the envelope budgeting system is not suitable for the Commission’s operations, noting that INEC’s activities often require urgent and flexible funding.
Amupitan also identified the lack of a dedicated communications network as a major operational challenge, adding that if the commission develops its own network infrastructure, Nigerians would be in a better position to hold it accountable for any technical glitches.
Speaking at the session, Senator Adams Oshiomhole (APC, Edo North) said external agencies should not dictate the budgeting framework for INEC, given the unique and sensitive nature of its mandate.
He advocated that the envelope budgeting model should be set aside.
He urged the National Assembly to work with INEC’s financial proposal to avoid future instances of possible underfunding.
In the same vein, a member of the House of Representatives from Edo State, Billy Osawaru, called for INEC’s budget to be placed on first-line charge as provided in the Constitution, with funds released in full and on time to enable the Commission to plan early enough for the 2027 general election.
The Joint Committee approved a motion recommending the one-time release of the Commission’s annual budget.
The committee also said it would consider the NYSC’s request for about N32bn to increase allowances for corps members to N125,000 each when engaged for election duties.
The Chairman of the Senate Committee on INEC, Senator Simon Along, assured that the National Assembly would work closely with the Commission to ensure it receives the necessary support for the successful conduct of the 2027 general elections.
Similarly, the Chairman of the House Committee on Electoral Matters, Bayo Balogun, also pledged legislative support, warning INEC to be careful about promises it might be unable to keep.
He recalled that during the 2023 general election, INEC made strong assurances about uploading results to the INEC Result Viewing portal, creating the impression that results could be monitored in real time.
“iREV was not even in the Electoral Act; it was only in INEC regulations. So, be careful how you make promises,” Balogun warned.
The N873.78bn proposed by INEC for next year’s general election is a significant increase from the N313.4bn released to the Commission by the Federal Government for the conduct of the 2023 general election.
Featured
Tinubu Mourns Literary Icon, Biodun Jeyifo
President Bola Tinubu yesterday expressed grief over the death of a former President of the Academic Staff Union of Universities and one of Africa’s foremost literary scholars, Professor Emeritus Biodun Jeyifo.
Jeyifo passed away on Wednesday, drawing tributes from across Nigeria and the global academic community.
In a condolence message to the family, friends, and associates of the late scholar, Tinubu in a statement by his spokesperson, Bayo Onanuga, described Jeyifo as a towering intellectual whose contributions to African literature, postcolonial studies, and cultural theory left an enduring legacy.
He noted that the late professor would be sorely missed for his incisive criticism and masterful interpretations of the works of Nobel laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka.
The President also recalled Jeyifo’s leadership of ASUU, praising the temperance, foresight, and wisdom he brought to the union over the years.
Tinubu said Jeyifo played a key role in shaping negotiation frameworks with the government aimed at improving working conditions for university staff and enhancing the learning environment in Nigerian universities.
According to the President, Professor Jeyifo’s longstanding advocacy for academic freedom and social justice will continue to inspire generations.
He added that the late scholar’s influence extended beyond academia into political and cultural journalism, where he served as a mentor to numerous scholars, writers, and activists.
Tinubu condoled with ASUU, the Nigerian Academy of Letters, the Wole Soyinka Centre for Investigative Journalism, the University of Ibadan, Obafemi Awolowo University, Oberlin University, Cornell University, and Harvard University—institutions where Jeyifo studied, taught, or made significant scholarly contributions.
“Nigeria and the global academic community have lost a towering figure and outstanding global citizen,” the President said.
“Professor Biodun Jeyifo was an intellectual giant who dedicated his entire life to knowledge production and the promotion of human dignity. I share a strong personal relationship with him. His contributions to literary and cultural advancement and to society at large will be missed.”
Jeyifo was widely regarded as one of Africa’s most influential literary critics and public intellectuals. Among several honours, he received the prestigious W.E.B. Du Bois Medal in 2019.
-
Sports3 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Environment3 days agoOxfam, partners celebrate 5 years of climate governance programmes in Nigeria
-
Politics3 days ago
ADC, PDP, LP Missing As INEC Set For By- Elections In Rivers
-
Politics3 days ago
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Diri Unveils RHA LG Coordinators, APC Congress Panel
-
Politics3 days agoReps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
-
Politics3 days agoGroup Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
-
Sports3 days ago
Sunderland Overcome Oxford Challenge
