Nation
THE STATES
Bauchi
Some groups and individuals in the North-East geo-political have kicked against the use of ethnic nationalities as representatives at the proposed National Dialogue.
They made their opinion known at the North-East Public Hearing on the conference, organised by the Presidential Advisory Committee on National Dialogue said such representation would defeat the purpose for which the conference was convened.
In his presentation, Governor Isa Yuguda of Bauchi State, is saying that the use of ethnic nationalities was not feasible.
“Bauchi State alone has over 50 ethnic groups and a state like Taraba, among others, has over 100. ‘Therefore, it is not possible to have every tribe represented, as this can create room for chaos,’’ he said.
Borno
The Borno State Government on Monday, expressed delight over Federal Government’s promise of a possible assistance to victims of Boko Haram insurgency attacks in the country.
Governor Kashim Shettima who stated this in a statement signed by his Special Adviser on Communications, Mallam Isa Gusau, in Maiduguri said he “received with cheers” the announcement by Jonathan that government would soon provide assistance to victims of Boko.
The governor said he was excited on hearing the news that the presidency was working toward setting up a committee to work out modalities for assisting Boko Haram victims.
“The victims of the crisis, especially those residing in Borno who were worst hit by the insurgency, deserve all forms of support from government and the private sector. This is because no material assistance can adequately replace their loses,” he said.
Ekiti
Afenifere chieftain and Peoples Democratic Party governorship aspirant in Ekiti State, Prince Dayo Adeyeye, has warned the state government against any plan to frustrate the trial of suspects in the murder of Foluso Ogundare in Emure-Ekiti.
Ogundare, a supporter of House of Representatives member and All Progressive Congress governorship aspirant, Opeyemi Bamide, was shot by suspected political hoodlums on Sunday, November 3, 2013 in Emure Ekiti at the meeting of Opeyemi loyalists.
The police in Ekiti last week said they had arrested the suspected killers. Adeyeye alleged that the government was planning to make a “no-case” submission through the state Ministry of Justice when the suspects get to court.”
In a statement on Monday by the Director General of Adeyeye’s campaign organisation, Bisi Kolawole, the PDP chieftain said, “Chief Adeleye Awolumate, Kehinde Fajuyi, Michael Ipinlaye, Ayo Murphy Jeje, Mrs Juliana Adewumi and Foluso Ogundare are all victims of political violence.
FCT
President Goodluck Jonathan last Monday in Abuja decorated his Aide De Camp (ADC), Ojogbane Adegbe, with a new rank of Colonel
At the ceremony held at the Presidential Villa, Abuja, the president charged Adegbe to do more to justify his promotion in the Nigerian Army.
“When you are given higher authority you are expected to perform according to your status. “We hope that whatever you have been doing very well you will even do more.We wish you success in your career.You are a privileged colonel, otherwise, they would not be here.”
Speaking with State House correspondents at the end of the ceremony, Adegbe thanked God for the opportunity and the promotion.
Oyo
Governor Abiola Ajimobi of Oyo State on Monday in Ibadan swore in 12 newly-appointed commissioners, urging them to exhibit high level of integrity, commitment and service to humanity.
Oyo State House of Assembly had on Thursday ratified the list of the 12 commissioners sent to it by the state governor. The commissioners comprised five members of the former cabinet and seven new ones.
One of the new commissioners, Oyefunke Oworu, was a former Special Adviser to the Governor on Trade, Investment and Cooperative, while Gbade Lana was the former Chairman of the state Library Board.
Those recalled include Adebayo Ojo, Dapo Lam-Adesina, Zacheaus Adelabu, Dr. Muyiwa Gbadegesin and Adetutu Adeyemi-Aigbe, while the five new ones are Prof. Solomon Olaniyonu, Adewale Olujide, Adedeji Akande, Umar Alao and Abiodun Atanda.
Lagos
Governor Babatunde Fashola of Lagos State has called on the Federal Government to do all it can to improve the funding of Nigerian prisons.
The governor made the call in Ikeja while handing over four buses to the Nigerian Prisons Service, to enhance its operational efficiency.
Controller of the Prisons Command in the state, Mrs Kate Ononye, led other officials to receive the State Government’s donation.
The governor said that proper funding of the prisons was imperative to strengthen criminal justice administration in the country.
Kaduna
Some groups in the North West have called for a Sovereign National Conference (SNC), saying it was the best option in the search for a new Nigeria.
The groups made the call in separate presentations at the public sitting of the Presidential Advisory Committee on National Dialogue in Kaduna.
One of them, The Katsina Group said the SNC would afford Nigerians the opportunity to take ownership of the conference and the decisions arrived at.
Its spokesman, Alhaji Kabiru Yahaya said the group was dissatisfied with the current state of the nation and would welcome open, frank and engaging discussions to move the country forward.
Katsina
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) has presented relief materials worth millions of naira to Katsina State Government for distribution to flood victims in the state.
The Coordinator of the agency for North-West zone, Alhaji Musa Ilallah, presented the materials to the Katsina State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA) in Katsina.
Ilallah, who was represented by Alhaji Mannir Gidado, an official of the Agency, said the relief materials were meant for distribution to flood victims in the local government areas that were affected by the disaster.
Responding, , Executive Secretary, SEMA, Alhaji Hassan Rawayau who received the items on behalf of the state government, commended NEMA for the support.
Kebbi
The Federal Ministry of Environment says it will train unemployed youths as forestry guards in Kebbi state as part of measures to protect the 100 kilometre shelter belt project in the state.
The ministry’s controller of environment in the state, Mr Ijioye Adekunle, said in Birnin Kebbi that the shelter belt project was established in Arewa and Dandi local government areas of the state.
He said that the engagement of the youths as forestry guards was in line with the Federal Government’s shelter belt programme adding that the second phase of the project would involve the provision of perimeter fence, water and security along the stretch of the belt.
He said the project which would involve 130 kilometres of five rows of trees with an interval of three metres was conceived to encourage planting of trees in the desert-prone areas to curtail environmental degradation and boost livestock development.
Kogi
The Minister of Information, Mr Labaran Maku, has urged political leaders in Kogi to adopt proactive measures to address any breakdown of law and order in the state.
Maku made the call at a Town Hall Meeting in Lokoja to end the tour of projects in Kogi by the National Good Governance team.
The minister stressed the need for leaders in the state to support the peace efforts by government to douse tension often generated as a result of political activities.
He advised that security must not be taken for granted, stressing that Kogi is the heart of the nation and we must not tolerate any disruption of peace in the state.
Plateau
Lecturers at the University of Jos have voted for continuation of the on-going strike by the Academic Staff Union of University (ASUU) in the country.
Chairman of the chapter, Dr. David Jankam who made this known last Monday while speaking shortly after the congress of the chapter said members did not see any substance in the dialogue with the federal government to warrant calling off the strike.
Sokoto
A Sokoto-based “large scale” water vendor, Chairman of the Katsina State Indigenes Association ( KTSIA) Alhaji Aliyu Daura, has introduced a scholarship scheme for youths in Sokoto city and its environs.
Daura said on Sunday in Sokoto that the first batch of 30 beneficiaries, all of them indigenes of Sokoto State, received N5,000 each.
According to him, beneficiaries of the gesture need only to be students of tertiary institutions of learning who have duly registered in their respective schools.
“These are indigent youths in the Universities, Polytechnics and Colleges of Education, across Nigeria. I always tell them the importance of education, as well as maintaining law and order so as to have lasting peace in Nigeria,” he said.
Zamfara
The Zamfara State Command of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) lastTuesday said it had registered 36 private security guard companies across the state for training.
The Head of the command’s Department of Private Guard Companies Training, Mr Aroworo Michael, disclosed this in an interview with our correspondence in Gusau.
“Two of the 36 registered outfits are indigenous while the remaining 34 have their headquarters outside the state,’’ he said.
The NSCDC official said the exercise was part of the agency’s mandate to register, train, supervise and monitor private security guard companies in the country.
“As part of our office activities, we have a dog section where we train dogs in various security techniques,” he said.
Nation
Youths Vow To Continue Protest Over Dilapidated Highway
Youths from five local government areas in Northern Cross River State have concluded a one-week warning protest and blockade of the dilapidated Ikom-Wula-Obudu federal highway over the weekend.
They have vowed to resume the road blocks if by this week the authorities do not intervene to fix the road.
More than five thousand locals, mostly youths from Obanliku, Etung, Obudu, Ikom and Boki LGAs trooped out everyday for one week, used palm trees to block the highway to draw state and federal government’s attention to their plights, requesting the repair of a road has has been unmotorable for about 40 years.
They warned that if they do not see any actions from the state or federal governments, they will resume their Plan B protest, stop revenue collections and make governance unpalatable.
The youths also warned that without interventions on the road which has claimed several lives, including that of last week when a pregnant woman died with her baby in the full glare of the protesters because of the terrible road, no election can hold in the area next year.
One of the leaders of the No Road , No Election protest, who is also the Abo Youths in Boki LGA, Dr Martins Assam said both the federal and state governments have neglected the region, which generates more than 70 percent state revenue from agriculture.
He said if machinery is not deployed by next week, they will not have any option than to embark on unpalatable and disastrous protest, and stop revenue collections in the area.
“Last week we had only a warning strike for one good week. We’ll embark on a more elaborate, disastrous one-month blockade of this highway until they intervene. We call on our Governor and representatives in the National Assembly to act now by impressing on the federal government to immediately fix this road else. We’re not asking for two much but to be treated as human beings.”
Another protester, Clinton Obi from the Etung axis said, “We’ve been neglected for 40 years. This Ikom-Obudu federal highway had been impassable. The government has removed its concentration from our plights. By this one week protest, we want action on this road otherwise the next phase of protest will be costly.”
Reverend Father Francis Amaozo, priest in charge of St. Nicholas parish in Nashua, Boki LGA said, “I have also been a victim of this very deplorable road. Enough is now enough. We’ve been betrayed by our representatives and other leaders, so that we in this axis have become endangered species on this road. I have lost some many members on this road.”
Member, representing the Boki-Ikom federal constituency of the state in the House of Representatives, Bisong Victor Abang had pleaded with the locals to be a bit more patient with the government as action will commence shortly.
Nation
UNIPORT VC Receives Inaugural Lecture Brochure As Professor Highlights Urgent Need For Drug Repurposing In Malaria Fight
The Vice Chancellor of the University of Port Harcourt (UNIPORT), Prof Owunari Georgewill, last Thursday received the inaugural lecture brochure from the Inaugural Lecturer, Professor Udeme Georgewill, during a ceremony at the university’s Centre of Excellence attended by academics, researchers, students, and distinguished guests.
Delivering her lecture, Professor Udeme Georgewill described the occasion as the culmination of years of dedicated research, teaching, and service to humanity. He explained that his work as a pharmacologist has consistently focused on finding practical, affordable, and scientifically sound solutions to health challenges that disproportionately affect developing countries, particularly malaria, which remains one of Nigeria’s most pressing public health concerns.
She noted that Nigeria continues to bear one of the heaviest malaria burdens globally, accounting for a significant percentage of worldwide cases and deaths. The disease, largely caused by the Plasmodium falciparum parasite and transmitted through Anopheles mosquitoes, remains especially dangerous for children under five years and pregnant women, threatening not only present populations but unborn generations. Despite years of intervention efforts, malaria continues to strain families, health systems, and the national economy.
Prof Georgewill empha-sised that while Artemisinin-based Combination Therapies such as Artemether-Lumefantrine remain the gold standard for malaria treatment, emerging resistance patterns pose a serious challenge. He explained that drug resistance is a survival mechanism of the parasite, enabling it to adapt and reduce the effectiveness of medications designed to eliminate it. According to her, instances where patients do not feel better after initial treatment sometimes lead to repeated dosing or the search for injectable alternatives, practices that can worsen resistance and complicate treatment outcomes.
Against this backdrop, she advocated strongly for drug repurposing as a strategic and urgent response. Drug repurposing, he explained, involves identifying new therapeutic uses for already approved and widely available medications. He likened the concept to “old wine in new wineskins,” stressing that medicines already proven safe for certain conditions can be carefully re-evaluated and optimised for new roles in malaria management. This approach, she argued, offers advantages such as reduced research timelines, lower development costs, and faster clinical application compared to developing entirely new drugs from scratch.
She disclosed that her research had progressed from laboratory investigations to clinical evaluations, where his team is studying combinations involving Artemether-Lumefantrine and Ivermectin to determine their effectiveness in improving treatment outcomes and possibly reducing transmission. Clinical trials are ongoing, and findings will be communicated upon completion of regulatory processes. However, he cautioned strongly against self-medication, warning that misuse of drugs without proper diagnosis and prescription can lead to organ damage, treatment failure, and increased resistance.
Referencing global health commitments, Prof Georgewill highlighted Sustainable Development Goal 3.3, which seeks to end epidemics of malaria and other major infectious diseases by 2030. She questioned whether the goal remains attainable under current realities, especially with growing resistance and funding gaps. He also referred to strategies of the World Health Organisation aimed at drastically reducing malaria incidence and mortality while pushing toward elimination in several countries.
Looking ahead, she revealed that her team is building comprehensive research databases to support artificial intelligence-driven drug repurposing. He stressed that the integration of artificial intelligence, molecular docking, and advanced screening technologies is transforming global drug discovery, and Nigerian researchers must be equipped to participate competitively in this evolving scientific landscape.
In her recommendations, she called for the establishment of a National Centre for Drug Repurposing to coordinate research efforts and leverage artificial intelligence in identifying new indications for existing medicines. He urged policymakers to simplify and accelerate the translation of laboratory discoveries into clinical application, ensuring that scientific breakthroughs benefit the public more efficiently. She also appealed to the university and relevant authorities to increase funding and modernise laboratory infrastructure, including high-throughput screening facilities, to strengthen Nigeria’s position in global biomedical research.
The lecture concluded with expressions of gratitude to God, the university leadership, colleagues, students, and guests, as the event underscored the University of Port Harcourt’s commitment to research excellence and its role in addressing critical public health challenges facing Nigeria and the wider world.
Nation
Niger CAN Rejects Proposed Hisbah Bill, Urges Gov Bago Not To Assent
The Christian Association of Nigeria, CAN, Niger State Chapter, has rejected the proposed Niger State Hisbah Directorates Bill, describing it as controversial and capable of deepening religious division in the state.
In a statement signed by the State Chairman, Bishop Bulus Dauwa Yohanna, and made available to The Tide’s source yesterday, the association urged Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago not to assent to the bill if it is passed by the State House of Assembly.
The bill, sponsored by the member representing Chanchaga Constituency, Hon. Mohammed Abubakar, seeks to establish a Hisbah Directorate in Niger State.
CAN warned that the legislation could be perceived as discriminatory against Christians and may heighten tension in the religiously diverse state.
“Governor Mohammed Umaru Bago, we, the entire Christendom in the state, wish to draw your attention to what could easily create division among the people you govern,” the statement read in part.
The association questioned the necessity and benefits of the proposed law, asking what economic or social value it would add to the state.
It further argued that existing security agencies, including the Nigeria Police and the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, already have constitutional mandates to maintain law and order.
The Christian body also faulted the legislative process, disputing claims that it was consulted during a public hearing on the bill.
It insisted that it was neither invited nor notified of any such engagement, despite being a critical stakeholder in the state.
-
Politics3 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports3 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business3 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured3 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports3 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
News3 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Sports3 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports3 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’

