News
Ailing Taraba Gov Returns To Jubilant Crowd
Taraba State Governor, Danbaba Suntai yesterday arrived in Jalingo, the Taraba State capital amidst jubilation by a crowd of top government functionaries, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) elders, youths, women, family friends, associates, and well-wishers.
Suntai has been abroad for nearly a year receiving treatment for injuries he sustained in a plane crash in October 2012.
He arrived Jalingo Airport at 3.45 p.m. aboard a Donia Airline number 5N IJY, and was supported out of the plane by his wife, Hauwa, and other friends.
He was quickly taken into a waiting Range Rover car to Government House.
Heavy security presence at the airport prevented many from catching a glimpse of the governor.
However, thousands of the jubilant crowd took over the streets of Jalingo to celebrate his return.
Suntai had survived the air crash after a small plane he piloted crashed a short distance from the Yola Airport in Adamawa.
He was flown to Germany and later United States, where he received treatment for severe injuries.
The governor’s wife, Hauwa, said last week that he had sufficiently recovered to travel home.
Governor Suntai had earlier arrived in Abuja yesterday after 10 months of medical treatment abroad after being involved in a plane crash on October 25, 2012.
Suntai arrived at the old wing of the Nnamdi Azikwe International Airport, Abuja, aided to alight from the aircraft at about 1.10 p.m. and immediately proceeded to Jalingo.
Suntai, alongside some of his aides, was involved in a plane crash he piloted in Yola.
Suntai did not talk to newsmen but one of his associates, John Dara, said that the governor was mentally alert as against speculations that he had lost his memory.
“We were excited to see him and it is understandable that after the long trip, he was weak and tired.
“But, we were thrilled by the fact that he recognised everyone by name which shows that he is mentally alert and lucid,’’ Dara said.
He noted that the governor’s mental alertness indicated that he was capable of taking over the affairs of the state.
“That itself is a clear indication that he is capable of running the affairs of Taraba as the governor.
“We had no doubt in our minds that when he gets back to Jalingo today, it will be up to his doctor to say whether he will resume today or in a couple of days to come.
“But he is clearly okay and able to function,’’ Dara said.
He said that his (the governor) decision not to talk to newsmen might be because of the long journey.
“Talking to newsmen can be spontaneous and organised. So, we felt that when he has rested well, it will be easier for him to address Nigerians,’’ Dara said.
Another close associate of Suntai, Rima Shamulu, said the decision to take over the ruling of the state lied with him in line with the provisions of the constitution.
“There are provisions in the constitution for you to take over or not to.
“And if he gets back to Jalingo today, and he transmits a letter to the state assembly through the speaker that he has arrived, that is all; he can take over as the governor.
“So, I don’t know why there are speculations around because there is constitutional provision when someone becomes too sick to function; it is not for us to speculate.
“And with the way I saw him, he is all right,’’ Shamulu said.
Suntai was transferred from hospital in Yola to the National Hospital, Abuja, on October 26, 2012, preparatory to his being flown to Germany for further medical treatment.
About one hour after the governor was admitted into the intensive care unit of the hospital, President Goodluck Jonathan visited him.
The president confirmed then that Suntai’s condition was stable and urged Nigerians to thank God for sparing the governor’s life.
On October 27, 2012, Barely 48 hours after Suntai was moved from Yola to the National Hospital, Abuja, he was flown to Germany for further medical treatment.
News
Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.
The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.
He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.
Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.
“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.
“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.
The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.
Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.
He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.
“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”
The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.
The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.
Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
