News
NASS To Formulate Appropriate Legislation To Drive Renewable Energy
The National Assembly (NASS) says it is set to formulate appropriate legislations and legal frameworks that will support the development of renewable energy.
Rep. Afam Ogene, the Chairman, House of Representatives Committee on Renewable Energy said this on Tuesday in Abuja at a Renewable Energy Conference 2023.
The two-day hybrid conference with the theme, ‘Transforming Energy Finance: Bridging Gaps and Building Opportunities is organised by Renewable Energy Association of Nigeria (REAN) with the support of Heinrich Boll Stiftung.
Ogene said that the current government had resolved to seek sustainable solutions, to create an enabling environment for renewable energy to thrive.
“On our own part as government, especially as lawmakers, we will do our best, with the warm resolve by the government to seek sustainable solutions, to create the enabling environment for this to thrive.
“We shall accordingly, be painstaking and purposeful in formulating appropriate legislations and legal frameworks that would support this development drive in renewable energy, “ he said..
According to him, with the diverse renewable energy resources available in the country and the enabling technology is developed and funded, renewable energy has the potential to bridge the energy gap in Nigeria.
“I have also persistently advocated a purpose driven intentional investment in renewable energy by both government and private sector players in order to actualise a meaningful impact in renewable energy in the nation.
“ In as much as we desire to have cleaner energy sources, we cannot wish away the huge financial implications of this transition to sustainable and renewable energy.
“In my conversations with stakeholders in the renewable energy sector, the recurrent challenge has always been funding without which not much would be achieved.
“What this simply implies is the need to have accessible financing plans and options that would be available to operators and potential investors in the sector,” he said.
According to him, with the fast dwindling global fossil fuel reserve and the increasing danger associated with it, especially as regards to its impact on the environment and climate change renewable energy is the future .
On his part, Mr Ahmad Salihijo, the Managing Director, Rural Electrification Agency (REA), said that the nation’s off-grid renewable energy space had grown at a fast pace in the last five years.
Represented by Mr Abba Aliyu, Salihijo said that beyond keeping the lights on, sustainable energy access especially in previously unserved and underserved communities was the key to true sustainable development and inclusion.
“Through the visibility that we have at the REA, we continue to witness the impact of collaboration, innovation and technical expertise.
“As we navigate this ecosystem to deliver energy to last-mile communities, healthcare centres, schools, markets and agricultural clusters,’ ’he said.
Salihijo, however, said that with the current estimates on the number of Nigerians without access to sustainable energy, the sector needed a more push.
He said that in a sector as dynamic and critical as energy, the conversations engaged in should not be mere discussions but pivotal steps toward shaping a sustainable and inclusive energy future.
“Through engagements like this, we must optimise the opportunity to bridge the gap in the sector.
“As we convene, remember that your insights, innovations, and shared experiences have the power to influence policies, spark collaborations, and foster a sense of shared responsibility in the quest for energy justice, “ he said.
Akso soeaking, the President of REAN Mr Ayo Ademilua said that the conference was organised to bring together experts to brainstorm on ways and solutions to adopt renewable energy technology in the country.
Ademilua said that the conference would also explore and identify strategies that would enable increased adoption of renewable energy solutions.
“ Through effective consumer finance, investment support and stakeholders collaboration, REAN aim to explore and implement strategies that will accelerate the adoption of renewable energy among small businesses and citizens.
“With a specific emphasis on leveraging consumer finance and investment support to make these solutions more accessible and affordable,” he said.
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
News
Four To Face Death Penalty Over DPO Angbashim’s Murder
A Rivers State High Court sitting in Port Harcourt has convicted and sentenced four persons to death by hanging over the gruesome killing of the former Divisional Police Officer of Ahoada East Police Division, SP Bako Angbashim.
The presiding Judge, Justice Sika Aprioku, in a landmark judgment, last Thursday, found the quartet guilty of conspiracy, murder, membership of a secret cult group and robbery, saying the prosecution proved its case beyond reasonable doubt.
Those sentenced to death by hanging are Robinson Sonabari, identified as a native doctor; Bright Okparawo; Precious Amaeze, popularly known as Selina; and Loveday Jack, also known as Ragged Excess. The court ordered that they be hanged by the neck until they are confirmed dead.
Justice Aprioku also convicted the sixth defendant, Samuel Nwadinma, and sentenced him to three years imprisonment for conspiracy.
The third accused person was, however, discharged and acquitted of the four-count charge.
In the same vein, the court discharged Famous Okechukwu, Samuel Uchendu, Oyekachi Ikonwa, Godbless Nnamdi and Marshall Daniel, who were earlier found guilty of membership of a secret cult group, on the grounds that they had already served the maximum terms prescribed by law in the correctional facility.
The court held that among those convicted was the native doctor who allegedly prepared the charm used in the killing of the late DPO.
Speaking with newsmen shortly after the judgment, the lead prosecution counsel from the Rivers State Ministry of Justice, Chigozie Amadi, alongside a representative of the police legal team, Celestine Dickson, commended the judiciary for ensuring that justice was served.
Dickson, who represented the Nigeria Police Force in the joint prosecution, expressed concern that officers saddled with the responsibility of protecting lives and property had increasingly become targets of criminal elements.
He, however, expressed optimism that the judgment would serve as a strong deterrent to would-be offenders.
Also reacting, the elder brother of the late DPO, Akasco Angbashim, who travelled from Nasarawa State to witness the judgment, said the verdict had healed a long-standing wound inflicted on the family since the brutal murder of their brother.
He commended the judiciary, the Rivers State Government and the police for their commitment to justice, stressing that the judgment sends a clear message that no individual has the right to unlawfully take another person’s life.
The four convicts were among 72 persons initially arraigned before the State High Court by a joint prosecution team comprising the Department of Public Prosecutions and the Rivers State Police Command over the murder.
During the trial, 61 accused persons, including the Eze Ekpeye Logbo, Eze Kelvin Anugwo, and a former Ahoada East Council Chairman, Cassidy Ikegbidi, were discharged and acquitted for lack of evidence, leaving 13 defendants to face judgment.
SP Angbashim was gruesomely murdered on September 8, 2023, during a police operation in Odemude community, Ahoada East Local Government Area.
His killing sparked tension in the area, prompting a joint security operation that led to the death of the suspected cult leader, David Okparanwo, popularly known as 2Baba.
By: King Onunwor
-
Politics4 days agoAPC Releases Adjusted Timetable For Nationwide Congresses, Convention
-
Sports3 days ago
DG NIS Wants NSC Board Constituted, Seeks Increased In Funding
-
Business4 days agoCustoms Seek Support To Curb Smuggling In Ogun
-
Featured3 days agoINEC Proposes N873.78bn For 2027 Elections, N171bn For 2026 Operations
-
Sports3 days agoSWAN Rivers Set-up Five Functional Committees
-
News3 days ago
Police Bust Kidnapping Syndicate In PH
-
Sports3 days ago
NSC Disburses N200m Training Grants To 26 Athletes
-
Sports3 days ago
‘NTF Will Build On Davis Cup Success For Brighter Future’
