Connect with us

Maritime

3,000 Europe-Bound Migrants Die At Sea In 2021 – UN

Published

on

The United Nations (UN) says over 3,000 people died in the Mediterranean and Atlantic sea trying to reach Europe last year.
According to the UN, this number is double the toll from 2020.
A fresh report from the UN refugee agency demanded urgent action to combat surging deaths among refugees, asylum seekers and other migrants trying to reach Europe.
In 2021, the report showed, a total of 3,077 people were lost while trying to cross the Mediterranean and Atlantic routes to the continent, portraying an up from 1,544 in 2020.
“Alarmingly, since the beginning of the year, an additional 478 people have also died or gone missing at sea”, Spokeswoman, United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR), Shabia Mantoo,  stated this to reporters in Geneva.
The report showed that for 2021, 1,924 people were reported dead or missing on the Central and Western Mediterranean routes, while another 1,153 perished on the North African maritime route to the Canary Islands.
“Most of the sea crossings took place in packed, unseaworthy, inflatable boats, many of which capsized or were deflated leading to the loss of life,” Mantoo said.
The sea journey from countries on the West African coast such as Mauritania and Senegal to the Canary Islands was particularly perilous, she said, noting that the crossing could take up to 10 days.
“Many boats drifted off course or otherwise went missing without trace in these waters,” she said.
The increase in deaths at sea came amid a surge in the number of crossings.
The UNHCR report showed that 53,323 migrants arrived by boat in Italy last year, an 83 percent hike over 2020.
Also, 23,042 arrived in the Canary Islands, nearly the same number as a year earlier, it said.
The report also noted a 61 percent hike in departures from Tunisia compared to 2020, while departures from conflict-torn Libya shot up 150 percent.
They took the Central Mediterranean route, which is the world’s deadliest.
More than 17,000 people have died or gone missing along this route since 2014, according to the International Organization for Migration.
The UNHCR cautioned that land routes were also “highly dangerous. Even greater numbers may have died on journeys through the Sahara desert and remote border areas, in detention centres, or while in the captivity of smugglers or traffickers”.
Migrants along all of these routes face a “litany of abuses”, she said, pointing to “extrajudicial killings, unlawful and arbitrary detention, sexual and gender-based violence, forced labour, slavery and forced marriage.”
UNHCR warned that the coronavirus pandemic and related border closures had complicated movement further and had forced more desperate refugees and migrants to turn to smugglers to make their perilous journeys.

Continue Reading

Maritime

NAGAFF Petitions IGP Over Alleged  Maritime Police Harassment

Published

on

The 100% Compliance Team of the National Association of Government Approved Freight Forwarders (NAGAFF) has petitioned the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) Tunji Disu over alleged unlawful conduct, extortion, intimidation, harassment and obstruction of trade by officers of the Maritime Police Command operating around Nigerian seaports.
The petition, dated August 14, 2026 and addressed to the Inspector-General of Police at Force Headquarters, Abuja, specifically identified the Lagos Port Complex, Apapa; Tincan Island Port; and other designated port locations, including bonded terminals, as areas where the alleged misconduct is taking place.
The petition was signed by Alhaji Ibrahim Tanko, National Coordinator, 100% Compliance Team, NAGAFF.
NAGAFF described the situation as a growing impediment to trade facilitation and a factor contributing to the rising cost of doing business in Nigeria.
According to the association, freight forwarding practitioners have, over a sustained period, reported and independently observed what it described as a pattern of misconduct involving Maritime Police personnel around the nation’s seaports.
The petition alleged that officers issue container blockage letters to shipping lines and terminals through the Nigeria Shippers’ Council, allegedly demanding payments before release orders are subsequently issued.
It further listed alleged practices including extortion, described as demanding and receiving money or other documents from freight forwarders, drivers and agents as a condition for the release or unhindered passage of cargo.
The association also alleged intimidation and harassment, including verbal abuse, threats, unlawful arrest and detention, seizure of documents and, in some instances, physical assault.
NAGAFF said such activities could obstruct trade facilitation by causing avoidable delays, port congestion and disruption of supply chains, contrary to the Federal Government’s Ease of Doing Business reforms.
It also argued that the alleged unofficial payments and additional charges ultimately increase the cost of doing business, with the burden transferred to importers, exporters and consumers.
In its petition, NAGAFF cited several laws and regulatory instruments which it said underscore the need for clearly defined roles and lawful conduct within the port environment.
The association referenced Sections 4 and 5 of the Nigeria Police Act 2020, the Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Act 2000, the Nigerian Ports Authority Act and the Customs Service Act 2023.
It also cited the Federal Government’s Ease of Doing Business Executive Orders and National Action Plan on Business Environment Reforms, as well as constitutional provisions relating to dignity, personal liberty and freedom from discrimination and unlawful obstruction in the conduct of lawful business.
NAGAFF warned that the alleged activities could undermine Nigeria’s trade competitiveness, discourage investment in the maritime and logistics sectors and weaken public confidence in law enforcement institutions.
The association further argued that the alleged conduct was inconsistent with Nigeria’s commitments under the World Trade Organization (WTO) Trade Facilitation Agreement.
The freight forwarders’ body requested the Inspector-General of Police to order an immediate investigation into the allegations and direct the cessation of what it described as unlawful container blockage, extortion, intimidation and harassment by Maritime Police officers at the affected ports.
It also called for the constitution of a joint task force comprising the Nigeria Police Force, Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) and NAGAFF to monitor and enforce compliance with lawful conduct at the ports.
The association further requested that any officers found culpable after investigation be subjected to appropriate disciplinary action and, where warranted, criminal proceedings in accordance with applicable Police Force regulations and the laws of the Federation.
NAGAFF also asked the police authorities to issue clear guidelines on the lawful scope of Maritime Police engagement at seaports and grant the petitioners an opportunity to be heard with further evidence in support of the petition.
Additionally, it called for a clear distinction between the functions and jurisdictional boundaries of the Maritime Police and the Commissioner of Police, Ports.
The association stressed that it was not opposed to legitimate police operations at the nation’s ports, but insisted that such operations must remain within the law and should not turn legitimate cargo clearance processes into avenues for unlawful financial gains.
“We are not opposed to legitimate police operations at the ports. We only demand that such operations be conducted strictly within the purview of our extant laws, without turning legitimate cargo clearance into an avenue for unlawful financial gains,” the association stated in the petition.
NAGAFF said it remained willing to provide further particulars, documentary evidence and witness accounts to assist any investigation arising from the petition.
Continue Reading

Maritime

Marine Minister Commends President Tinubu On NPERA Bill Assent

Published

on

The Minister of Marine and Blue Economy Adegboyega Oyetola, has commended President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for assenting to the Nigerian Ports Economic Regulatory Agency (NPERA) Bill, 2026, describing the development as a major milestone in the ongoing reform of Nigeria’s maritime sector.
Oyetola said the presidential assent to the legislation would pave the way for the establishment of a dedicated, robust and independent economic regulator for the nation’s ports, capable of promoting transparency, efficiency and competitiveness.
 In a statement posted on his official X account, the Minister expressed appreciation to President Tinubu for what he described as visionary leadership and unwavering commitment to transforming the maritime industry and unlocking the immense potential of the Blue Economy.
 According to Oyetola, the presidential assent is a significant step towards building a globally competitive maritime economy and unlocking the full potential of Nigeria’s Blue Economy.
 “I thank His Excellency, President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, GCFR, for assenting to the Nigerian Ports Economic Regulatory Agency (NPERA) Bill, 2026, paving the way for a dedicated, robust and independent economic regulator for our ports,” Oyetola stated.
He explained that the legislation would provide a stronger legal basis for the regulation of tariffs, charges, competition, licensing and the resolution of commercial disputes within the port industry.
 The Minister noted that the establishment of an independent economic regulator would bring greater certainty, transparency and efficiency to port operations, thereby enhancing investor confidence and improving the ease of doing business in Nigeria’s maritime sector.
 “This landmark legislation will strengthen the regulation of tariffs, charges, competition, licensing and commercial disputes, bringing greater certainty, transparency and efficiency to Nigeria’s port sector,” he said.
 Industry stakeholders have long advocated for an independent port economic regulator to address concerns over arbitrary charges, promote fair competition among operators and ensure a more transparent and predictable business environment.
Continue Reading

Maritime

Apapa Ports Manager Advocates Woman Involvement In MWP Bootcamp

Published

on

The Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), Lagos Ports Complex Manager, Mr. Debo Lawal, has urged participants at the 6th annual Maritime Writes Project (MWP) Creative Writing Bootcamp to use their voices to promote Nigeria’s maritime and port sector as an industry that embraces inclusion.
Lawal, who was Special Guest of Honour at the Opening of the 2026 bootcamp at the Multi-Purpose Hall, Apapa Port, Lagos, encouraged participants to maximise the opportunity to highlight the growing participation of women in traditionally male-dominated maritime roles.
He noted that there are more than 10 female crane operators in Lagos port, alongside female tugboat pilots and numerous other women working across in the port.
According to him, the growing presence of women in operational and technical positions demonstrates that the maritime sector offers opportunities for women and should be portrayed as an inclusive industry.
Lawal formally opened the bootcamp, which brings together young writers, maritime stakeholders, academics and mentors under the theme, “Voyages Through Chokepoints: Power, Passage and Life at Sea.”
The Head of Faculty for the 2026 edition and Dean, Faculty of Arts, Adeleke University, Prof. Adegbite Tobalase, urged participants to use the bootcamp to develop their individual voices and understand the discipline required to produce original works.
“We welcome you not merely to a training programme, but to a mission: to grow literary talent through maritime storytelling, and to deepen Nigeria’s maritime consciousness through the power of the written word,” he said.
In his goodwill message, the Director, International Ocean Institute-Nigeria Centre (IOI-Nigeria), Mr. Akanbi Williams, commended MWP for combining creative writing with practical exposure to the maritime sector.
The Institute, which has partnered with MWP for five years, urged participants to “observe, listen, question, learn and write,” stressing the importance of looking beyond ships, ports and waterways to the people, communities and livelihoods connected to the maritime environment.
It said storytelling could help communicate maritime knowledge to wider audiences, particularly young Nigerians, while encouraging greater understanding of the sector and the blue economy.
Earlier, the Project Coordinator, Maritime Writes Project, Ezinne Azunna, said the initiative was designed to bridge creative writing and maritime awareness by exposing young writers to the realities of the sector.
She said participants would engage with maritime professionals, facilities and communities, enabling them to develop stories grounded in authentic industry experiences.
The 2026 theme draws attention to the significance of maritime chokepoints to global trade, diplomacy, economics and human activities. Mentorship sessions and facility tours are designed to help participants develop stories based on real maritime experiences.
For returning participants, the impact of MWP extends beyond creative writing.
One of the project’s alumni, Uche Ohiaeri, who returned for the 2026 edition, said her participation in the programme in 2022 transformed her confidence and broadened her interests from creative writing to environmental conservation and community development.
Ohiaeri recalled that she initially joined because she simply enjoyed writing, but the experience challenged her to ask deeper questions about the ocean, the environment and communities connected to them.
She subsequently became involved in conservation activities at her school, where she taught younger students, and eventually wrote her first book.
According to her, the programme gave her the confidence to explore opportunities she had not previously considered and showed her that creative writing could serve as an entry point into wider environmental and civic engagement.
The Maritime Writes Project has previously held sessions in Lagos, Osun an
d Rivers states and has produced three published anthologies featuring 17 stories by past participants.
The organisers noted that African writers remain significantly under-represented in maritime fiction and that MWP is encouraging a new generation of Nigerian writers to explore stories around the ocean, shipping, coastal communities and the blue economy.
 by Nkpemenyie Mcdominic, Lagos
Continue Reading

Trending