News
No Going Back On Strike, JOHESU Insists
The Joint Health Sector Union (JOHESU) yesterday said it would continue its ongoing nationwide strike until the Federal Government implement certain agreements reached between the two parties on Sept. 30, 2017.
JOHESU disclosed this at a peaceful rally organised by its national body in Abuja, saying it would not be deterred by the court’s injunction compelling its members to return to work.
Mr Josiah Biobelemoye, National Chairman of the union said the rally was aimed at updating members with current developments regarding the ongoing strike, including the recent court order.
Our correspondent reports that the National Industrial Court (NIC) gave an order on May 25, 2018, compelling JOHESU to call off the strike, which began on April 18.
Biobelemoye emphasised that the union had every right to obey or challenge the court order.
“I own members the responsibility to update them on happenings between us and the government to enable them to take a decisive position. And whatever they decide is final.
“We call on the government to implement our upward adjustment and other things as contained in the agreement of Sept. 30, 2017.
“No going back on the strike until those things are met’’ he said.
He noted that since the union embarked on the strike on April 18, the federal government had met with the leadership eight times
He, however, described the meetings as one step forward and two steps backwards.
He mentioned that the amount of money owed the union is N22.6billion and added that due to the intervention of the National Salaries Income and Wages Commission it had been reduced to N16.5 billion.
He said JOHESU’s agreement on the reduction of the entitlement from N22.6 billion to N16. 5 billion was geared toward ensuring lasting solutions to the crisis.
“I urge you to stand up for your right, do not yield to pressure or threat in whatever form by the government.
“Hence, we are not going back to work until they pay us our full entitlement,” he reiterated.
News
HYPREP Tightens Security At Project Sites
Following the rupture of the ground tank of its water facility in Ebubu Community in Eleme Local Government Area of Rivers State, the Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has tightened security across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
HYPREP, which dropped this hint in a statement signed by its Head of Communications, Dr Enuolare Mba-Nwigoh, said the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey had given the directive for security to be tightened across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
Mba-Nwigoh noted that the tightening of security across the project sites has become necessary to forestall interference with the facilities.
He further disclosed that following the rupture of the ground tank of the Ebubu water facility, a team led by HYPREP’s Director of Technical Services, Prof Damian-Paul Aguiyi has visited the scene of the incident to assess the situation, stressing that the water facility has been cordoned off for public safety.
The statement indicated that following the incident, HYPREP has henceforth barred non-project personnel and non-facility staff from gaining access into any of its active project sites in Ogoniland without authorisation.
While appealing to residents of Ebubu Community and the public to remain calm, the Head of Communications assured them that the Project is taking prompt steps to restore water to the community, saying, the cause of the unfortunate incident is being investigated.
He equally noted that the Chief Security Officer of HYPREP has been directed to immediately tighten security across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
The statement said HYPREP is deeply concerned about the incident, stressing that despite the setback, the Project reiterates its commitment to delivering sustainable cleanup in Ogoniland.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
-
Niger Delta3 days agoBayelsa’s Aircraft Makes Inaugural Flight…As Lawmakers, Oil Minister, NDDC’S MD Hail Diri
-
Nation4 hours ago
Hausa Community Lauds Council Boss Over Free Medical Outreach
-
Nation4 hours ago
Film Festival: Don, Others Urge Govt To Partner RIFF
-
Nation4 hours agoOgoni Power Project: HYPREP Moves To Boost Capacity Of Personnel
-
Nation4 hours ago
Association Hails Rivers LG Chairmen, Urges Expansion Of Dev Projects
-
Rivers4 hours ago
UNIPORT Moves To Tackle Insecurity … Inducts Security Experts
-
Nation4 hours ago
Traditional Rulers Advise Khana Youths To Shun Politics Of Bitterness
-
Nation4 hours ago
Foundation Gives Scholarship, Working Materials To Pupils
