Connect with us

News

Court Reserves Ruling In Ojukaye’s Bail

Published

on

The fate of the embattled former Chairman of Asari-Toru Local Government of Rivers State, Mr. Ojukaye Flagg-Amachree, standing trial on an alleged murder case on two different charges before two judges of the State High Courts now hanges in the balance, as the Appeal Court sitting in Port Harcourt, yesterday, consolidated all the applications seeking for his bail and release from prison custody.
The Appeal Court led by Justice Ali Abubakar B. Gumel, also reserved ruling on the consolidated appeals brought before the court, and fixed a date for the ruling which would be communicated to all the parties in the matter.
The Court of Appeal took this decision after listening to the various arguments by the counsels in the matter, and commended them for the maturity exhibited during the court proceedings.
The appellant, Mr. Ojukaye Flagg-Amaechree, had through his Counsels, led by a Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Mr. Rowland Oturu, filed a motion of appeal before the court challenging his incarceration in prison custody on the orders of Justice Margret Opara on the 19th of April, this year.
The appellant is also appealing the order of remand into prison custody made on the July 1, 2016 by the Chief Judge of the State, Justice I.A. Iyayi-Lamikanra, as well as seeking an order of stay of proceedings on the matter by the lower courts until the determination of the matter in the Appeal Court.
Oturu, during his presentation, told the court that the matter before it touches on the liberty of the accused, adding that the court has an unfettered authority to grant the accused bail.
He told the court that it was wrong for the lower courts to continue proceedings on the matter when an appeal had already been filed in the appellante court.
The Senior Advocate averred that it was wrong for a judge to remand an accused person by proxy, and urged the court to declare the Chief Judge’s remand order of July 1, 2016 as a nullity as it was not known in law.
Responding to the applications by the appellant’s Counsel, lawyer to the state government, Mr. Godwin Obla (SAN) while opposing the bail applications, said the refusal of the appellant to appeal the order of July 4, 2016 nullified the whole appeal sought by them.
According to Obla, “what it means is that the appellant did not appeal the second order made by the State Chief Judge.
“My position on the matter, is that you don’t take chances. They would have also appealed the other order, because if the appeal fails, all the briefs sought in the applications would also fail”, he added.
The Senior Advocate urged the court to jettison the application on the ground that they failed to appeal the order of July 4, 2016, adding that it was only when the accused appeared before the judge that the issue of Appeal notice would be discussed.
Our correspondent reports that the 3-man Justices of the Appeal Court had earlier stood down the proceedings for 30 minutes to rule on the stay of proceedings brought by the appellant asking to be joined in the application to be taken alongside the consolidated appeals.
Our correspondent further reports that the court later ruled in favour of the appellant.
All the Counsels adopted their addresses as filed during the proceedings.
Speaking to journalists outside the court room, Mr. Rowland Oturu (SAN), lawyer to the accused, said his refusal to appeal the order of Justice I.A. Iyayi-Laminkanra was on the basis that the order was made against the prison authorities and not his client.

Continue Reading

News

Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures

Published

on

President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.

The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.

He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.

Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.

“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.

“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.

The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.

Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.

He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.

“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”

The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.

The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.

Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.

Continue Reading

News

US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day

Published

on

The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.

The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.

“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.

According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.

The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.

In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.

Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.

Continue Reading

News

Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role

Published

on

United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.

Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.

The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.

“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.

The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.

Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.

The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.

In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.

“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.

Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.

He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.

Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.

 

Continue Reading

Trending