News
‘Current Economic Policies Can’t Take Us Out Of Recession’
The Abuja Chamber of Commerce and Industry has said the current monetary and fiscal policies being implemented by the Federal Government will not take the country out of the current economic crisis.
It disagreed with the position of the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Mr Godwin Emefiele, that the country would be out of recession in the fourth quarter of this year.
Emefiele had while speaking with media executives on Saturday said, “We are already in the valley, the only direction is to go up the hill and the government is doing everything possible to ensure that we move up the hill.
“I am optimistic that based on the actions being taken by the monetary and fiscal authorities, the fourth quarter results will show evidence that we have started to move out of the recession.
“The worst is over. The Nigerian economy is on the path of recovery and growth.”
But the ACCI argued that even with the right economic policies, it would take the country about five years to come out of the current economic crisis.
The President of ACCI, Mr Tony Ejinkeonye, in a statement, yesterday, said the chamber was of the view that the Federal Government had not put in place adequate measures to address the current economic challenges.
He said, “We have economic recession, economic recovery and economic boom. It takes a period of five years for a country to recover from recession before it can start talking of economic boom, that is, if the right measures are in place.
“We are yet to know the physical measures the government has put in place to enable us know that we are on the right track.
“Even when the right decisions and policies are set out, we do not agree that recovery will come too soon.
“That means they have only one quarter to get us out of the recession that is so deep. We do not believe that. It will take a while.”
He charged the government to open up to Nigerians on the real situation of things, adding that this is the only viable way for stakeholders in the economy to proffer workable solutions to the crisis.
He added, “Thailand went into recession and it was just last year they came out of it. The Federal Government is either being economic with the truth or not telling us what is really happening.
“Government does not have structures on ground to suggest that it would happen. I do not think it is going to happen.”
News
HYPREP Tightens Security At Project Sites
Following the rupture of the ground tank of its water facility in Ebubu Community in Eleme Local Government Area of Rivers State, the Hydrocarbon Pollution Remediation Project (HYPREP) has tightened security across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
HYPREP, which dropped this hint in a statement signed by its Head of Communications, Dr Enuolare Mba-Nwigoh, said the Project Coordinator, Prof Nenibarini Zabbey had given the directive for security to be tightened across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
Mba-Nwigoh noted that the tightening of security across the project sites has become necessary to forestall interference with the facilities.
He further disclosed that following the rupture of the ground tank of the Ebubu water facility, a team led by HYPREP’s Director of Technical Services, Prof Damian-Paul Aguiyi has visited the scene of the incident to assess the situation, stressing that the water facility has been cordoned off for public safety.
The statement indicated that following the incident, HYPREP has henceforth barred non-project personnel and non-facility staff from gaining access into any of its active project sites in Ogoniland without authorisation.
While appealing to residents of Ebubu Community and the public to remain calm, the Head of Communications assured them that the Project is taking prompt steps to restore water to the community, saying, the cause of the unfortunate incident is being investigated.
He equally noted that the Chief Security Officer of HYPREP has been directed to immediately tighten security across all its project sites in Ogoniland.
The statement said HYPREP is deeply concerned about the incident, stressing that despite the setback, the Project reiterates its commitment to delivering sustainable cleanup in Ogoniland.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
-
Niger Delta3 days agoBayelsa’s Aircraft Makes Inaugural Flight…As Lawmakers, Oil Minister, NDDC’S MD Hail Diri
-
Nation2 hours ago
Hausa Community Lauds Council Boss Over Free Medical Outreach
-
Rivers2 hours ago
UNIPORT Moves To Tackle Insecurity … Inducts Security Experts
-
Nation2 hours ago
Association Hails Rivers LG Chairmen, Urges Expansion Of Dev Projects
-
Nation2 hours ago
Film Festival: Don, Others Urge Govt To Partner RIFF
-
Nation2 hours agoOgoni Power Project: HYPREP Moves To Boost Capacity Of Personnel
-
Nation2 hours ago
Foundation Gives Scholarship, Working Materials To Pupils
-
Nation2 hours ago
Community Leaders Task Parents On Children Upbringing
