Connect with us

News

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi Turbanned As New Emir Of Kano …Faction Protests Installation

Published

on

The supporters of Sanusi Ado Bayero, the son of the late Emir of Kano, who was defeated by Sanusi Lamido Sanusi to emerge the Emir of the ancient city, yesterday took to the streets to protest the rejection of their preferred candidate.
A resident of the town, Ibrahim Hamisu, said that the protesters set up bonfires using tyres around the Emirs’ palace.
He also said another group of protesters, who were marching to the Government House, were stopped by armed soldiers and policemen who formed a barricade to stop them from getting near the seat of government.
Another resident, Bala Usman, said the protesters were also destroying all government properties in sight.
The Secretary to the Government of Kano State, Rabi’u Bichi, had earlier announced the selection of Sanusi Lamido Sanusi as the new emir of Kano following his recommendation by the kingmakers and approval by Governor Rabiu Kwankwaso.
Bichi made the brief announcement at Government House, Kano, yesterday.
He disclosed that the government chose Sanusi’s out of three candidates forwarded to him by Kano kingmakers.
“Under state customary law, the kingmakers comprising the Madaki, Sarkin Bai, Makaman and Sarkin Dawaki Maituta had sat down and forwarded three names to the government to choose the one that will succeed the Late Emir Ado Abdullahi Bayero.
“Out of these three names the government has approved Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, the Dan Majen Kano, and former Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, as the new emir of Kano,” the SSG said.
The SSG was accompanied to the briefing by the kingmakers which include the Sarkin Dawaki Maituta, Bello Abubakar; the Sarkin Bai, Mukhtar Adnan; the Makama, Sarki Ibrahim and the Madaki, Yusuf Nabahani Ibrahim.
The state commissioners of information and state affairs, Abubakar Danburam and Aminu Abdulsalam were also in attendance.
A source at the Emirate council said the supporters of Mr. Bayero were protesting because they felt shortchanged.
“Earlier in the day, message came to the Prince while he was at the palace receiving condolences that he needed to go and get set for turbanning in case he was the one selected, so, many of his supporters followed him to his private residence and most of them assumed that he must have been selected since he was getting set for turbanning,” our source said.
“Unknown to many, both nominees were required to be ready whether they will eventually be selected or not, but many misconstrued the order and were shocked when Sanusi Lamido was eventually announced and they are the ones protesting now.”
Meanwhile, a former Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nasir El-Rufai, yesterday jeered at associates of President Goodluck Jonathan and the Peoples Democratic Party over the appointment of a former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Lamido Sanusi, as the new emir of the powerful Kano emirate.
“Alhamdulillah. The best man has won,” Mr. El-Rufai said on his twitter handle at about 4:45 p.m., moments after the Kano state Government named Mr. Sanusi the successor to Emir Ado Bayero who died on Friday.
“SLS (Sanusi Lamido Sanusi) is the Emir of Kano. Jonathanians can go jump into the lagoon.”
El-Rufai had in a post on his Facebook page an hour earlier (before the official announcement was made) carpeted the national leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party for prematurely congratulating Mr. Sanusi’s rival, Sunusi Ado Bayero, as the new emir even when a successor to the late Ado Bayero had not been named.
“The PDP out of fear and hatred of my brother SLS (Sanusi Lamido Sanusi) began circulating the falsehood that someone else had been appointed Emir of Kano,” Mr. El-Rufai fumed.
“Then they congratulated the Emir that had not been selected by the constituted authority. Earlier, they had enlisted several PDP sympathiser-traditional rulers to put pressure on Governor Kwankawaso to discourage him from selecting SLS, who was recommended on merit among the aspirants by the kingmakers.
“May the Almighty Allah Guide Governor Kwankwaso in choosing a wise and honest leader that will build on the legacy of Late Ado Bayero. In my opinion, that person is my brother SLS. But that is my opinion only which I am entitled.
“They have now withdrawn their false and contrived congratulations. PDP represents all that is evil and wrong about our nation. May Allah separate Nigeria from this evil, divisive and poverty-inducing party.”
The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) had yesterday disassociated itself from a congratulatory message the party sent out with reference to the initial false and unverified news that Alhaji Sanusi Lamido Ado Bayero emerged as the new Emir of Kano.
Special Assistant to the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Chief Olisa Metuh, Mr. Richard Ihediwa had issued a congratulatory message on behalf of his boss and the PDP after it was learnt that Sanusi L. A. Bayero had been announced as the new Emir.
But the news, however, turned out to be false as the former CBN governor, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi was actually declared the Emir of Kano by the kingmakers of the emirate.
Distancing himself from the message, Metuh described it as an “embarrassment” and without approval.

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi As New Emir Of Kano.

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi As New Emir Of Kano.

Continue Reading

News

198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class

Published

on

A total of 198 students of the University of Benin (UNIBEN ) Edo State, bagged a First Class degree out of 14,083 students to be awarded first degree at the institution’s 51st Convocation and Founder’s Day ceremony.
Vice Chancellor of UNIBEN, Prof. Edoba Omoregie, disclosed this on Monday in Benin at a pre-convocation press briefing.
He said 4,217 students bagged a Second Class Upper,  7, 928 got a Second Class Lower, while 578 bagged a Third Class degree.
He said 15 new approved programmes by the National Universities Commission (NUC) would commence in the 2025/2026 academic session.
According to him, “The wheel of progress is on course and moving steadily in the University of Benin.  This administration is poised to deliver on its mandate of effective, practical teaching, sound learning, result-oriented research and impactful community service.
“We must applaud the President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, for establishing NELFUND, and by so doing significantly reducing the financial stress of students in the process of acquiring tertiary education.   We enjoin students and their parents to take full advantage of the federal government’s benevolence in instituting the fund.”
Prof. Omoregie disclosed that Nigeria’s Minister of Regional Development, Engr. Abubakar Momoh, would deliver the Founders’ Day lecture with the topic,  “Reforms for a Shared Prosperity”.
The UNIBEN VC said Director General of the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs and Former Vice Chancellor of Igbinedion University, Okada, Edo State, Professor Eghosa Osaghae, would deliver the Convocation Lecture on the theme, “Making Our Universities Great”.
Continue Reading

News

Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council  trains tra 1,000 teachers

Published

on

The last batch of 400 public school teachers in Bayelsa State on Monday commenced training under the sponsorship of Bayelsa Education Development Trust Fund (EDTF) and the British Council.
This batch will bring to 1000 the number of public school teachers in the state who have benefited in the partnership arrangement.School supplies
The EDTF, British Council and Teachers Training, Registration and Certification Board collaborated in the capacity development programme.
Speaking at the opening ceremony of the five day capacity building program, Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah reiterated the commitment of the Bayelsa government to training and capacity of teachers in the state.
He noted that the improved teaching methodology in the state was responsible for the state producing the best student in the 2025 West African School Certificate Examinations.
Prof Ebimiowei, Executive Secretary at EDTF, noted that the collaboration is aimed at improving learning outcomes for pupils and students of public primary and secondary schools in Bayelsa.
“You will agree with me that until the cutlass is sharpened, it will have no impact on the hands of the farmer and so it is with our teachers., you need to be sharpened very well to give good delivery in your various classes and schools.
“Let me at this juncture appreciate the British Council for accepting to train 1,000 teachers, 50 education managers and 60 trainers for Bayelsa,” he said.
On his part, Chairman of the EDTF board, High Chief Fidelis Agbiki expressed appreciation to the Commissioner for Education Dr Gentle Emelah for his supportive role to the fund.
Agbiki urged the beneficiaries to justify the enormous resources invested by the government of Bayelsa by being dedicated within the five days the exercise would last.
He said; “This board will not operate on business as usual but on business unusual as we will push the frontiers outside the box to ensure that we get value for money,” Agbiki said.
 Chairman of Development Partners Committee of the EDTF applauded the commitment of the partners for the successful completion of the programme, urging them to sustain the tempo
Speaking on the programme, Mr Fwanshishak Daniel, Head, English and Schools, British Council noted that the Bayelsa government had shown exemplary commitment to educational development.
He explained that the commitment has enabled the British Council and Bayelsa government to achieve within one year greater milestones that took other states three years to achieve.
He explained that the resources of the British Council have been made available to Bayelsa with the training of 60 resource persons from the state who will in turn train other teachers to improve education.
According to Daniel, the training will lay emphasis on new teaching methods, use of digital tools for self development and access to school amongst others.
Dr Peremoboere Ogola, Acting Chairman of TTRC, which facilitated training, thanked the EDTF for supporting training of teachers in Bayelsa with world class resources of the British Council.
She noted that another batch of newly recruited teachers are currently undergoing training at State government owned University of Africa, Toru Orua, Sagbama LGA in Bayelsa
Continue Reading

News

RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.

The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.

Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee

highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.

“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.

Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.

The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.

Continue Reading

Trending