News
Auto Crash Claims 13 On Benin-Ore Road
No fewer than 13 passengers died in a motor accident on the Benin-Ore road, the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) confirmed yesterday.
In a statement issued by Deputy Corps Public Education Officer, Mr Bisi Kazeem, the commission stated that the accident happened at kilometre 53, before Ohosun town, zone 5.12 toll gate unit command in Edo State at 7.45 a.m yesterday.
Kazeem said the accident, which involved two vehicles, was caused by the driver of the Anambra Mass Transit Toyota Hiace bus, with registration number YB 610 EPE (Lagos), who for no reason, drove against traffic on the Benin-Ore lane.
The driver faced an oncoming Iveco truck descending a slope, resulting in head-on collision.
The bus was coming from Lagos carrying traders dealing in electronics and 13 out of the passengers in the bus died, while three people survived including the truck driver.
The victims, according to FRSC, have been taken to Shiloh Hospital, Ugbogui in Edo for treatment while corpses were deposited at the mortuary of the same hospital.
The commission said the obstruction caused as a result of the accident had been promptly cleared.
The Tide recalls that in the last 11 months, countless auto accidents have claimed hundreds of lives on the Benin-Ore Expressway.
For instance, on March 15, 2012, a middle-aged man, simply identified as “Nasco,” died in a multiple auto crashes on Kobape-Siun-Sagamu Expressway.
Thirteen soldiers were also injured in the accident.
Also, two persons were confirmed dead in multiple accidents that occurred on the Sagamu-Ore-Benin Expressway, leaving many others injured.
The accident on the Kobape-Siun-Sagamu Expressway, The Tide learnt, occurred around 1.00 p.m, when a white Toyota Hiace, marked LAGOS CG 415 FKJ veered off its lane as a result of burst tyre and rammed into a truck with registration number OGUN XA 170 ABG and a Prado Jeep marked LAGOS EJ 57 LND.
The truck driver, who was conveying medical materials from Abeokuta to Ibiade in Ogun waterside area of the state, lost his life on the spot, while his body was still trapped in the vehicle.
The injured soldiers were taken to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Idi-Ada, Abeokuta, for medical attention.
The accident on the Sagamu-Ore-Benin Expressway, it was gathered, happened in front of Astok Petroleum, Ijebu-Ode, some few kilometres to the Tai Solarin University of Education (TASUED).
On Monday, January 23, 2012, 19 persons were burnt to death in an auto crash involving a commercial bus and a trailer along the Sagamu-Benin Expressway. The drivers of the two vehicles also died in the crash while four others in critical condition, were admitted at the Ore General Hospital.
On December 2, 2011, no fewer than 19 persons were killed in an auto crash, along Benin-Ore road as a diesel tanker collided with a commercial vehicle, killing all the passengers except one.
The bus, belonging to Hope Express Transport Company, was carrying 19 persons. It reportedly took off from Lagos, heading to the South-East when the accident occurred. Only one of the passengers survived and was rushed to a hospital in Benin City.
In a related development, few kilometres away from the scene, there was another ghantly accident involving a trailer and a Mercedes Benz car, which left property worth several thousands of naira destroyed.
Eyewitnesses at the scene of the accident claimed that serious cases of injury were recorded as the Mercedes car was terribly damaged.
On October 24, 2011, 11 persons died in an accident involving a luxury bus and an 18-seater commercial bus at Ore on the Benin-Ore highway.
The recklessness of the luxury bus driver, alleged to be driving against traffic on a portion of the road, reportedly caused the accident, which occurred at about 10.00a.m.
On September 14,2011, talented Nigerian musician, Nwaozo Obiajulu (a.k.a) MC Loph died in a tragic car accident along the often neglected Benin-Ore Expressway.
Mr Obiajulu was travelling to Enugu State for his traditional wedding ceremony along with his fiancée who reportedly died with him.
MC Loph popularised the song Osondi-Owendi, as a tribute song to the late highlife musician, Osita Osadebe.
The Nigerian music community are reacting to the news. Sound Sultan, a close friend and collaborator of MC Loph currently vacationing in the US said, “It is just so sad, it is not easy to lose someone like that. I worked with him in 2010 and we collaborated on a song with thirteen other artists for the World Cup. We were also very close friends.”
Nelson Chukwudi with Agency Report
News
Victory Over Insurgency Certain, Tinubu Assures
President Bola Tinubu has expressed confidence that the country would win the fight against insecurity.
The President gave the assurance at the Argungu International Fishing Festival in Argungu town, Kebbi State, on Saturday.
He noted that the relative peace currently being enjoyed in Kebbi and neighbouring states was the result of sustained investments in security intelligence, coordination among security agencies, and community engagement.
Tinubu assured farmers and fishermen of sustained federal support to guarantee food security and safety across the country.
“The peace we are witnessing today is not accidental. It is the outcome of deliberate and sustained efforts. I assure you that the fight against banditry, insurgency, and insecurity will be won.
“Our farmers, fishermen, traders, and families will go about their lawful activities without fear,” he assured.
The President commended the organisers of the festival for sustaining the cultural event for decades, noting that it had endured for 83 years despite social and security challenges.
Describing the Argungu festival as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence, Tinubu stated that it reflects the richness of the country’s culture and the opportunities to harness its natural and human resources for national growth.
He said, “Today, this festival stands as a powerful symbol of unity, resilience, and peaceful coexistence among our people.
“It reflects the richness of our culture, the strength of our traditions, and the opportunities inherent in harnessing our natural and human resources for national development.”
The President was received by a large crowd of residents, traditional rulers, fishermen, tourists, and government officials from across the country.
The President reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to youth and women empowerment, irrigation development, rural electrification, and agricultural productivity.
Earlier, the Kebbi State Governor, Nasir Idris, said his administration was determined to elevate the Argungu Fishing Festival to full international standards while pursuing aggressive development across critical sectors of the state.
News
US Embassy, Lagos Consulate Close Today For President’s Day
The United States Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed today, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
The mission made this known in a notice shared on its official X page, yesterday.
“The U.S. Embassy in Abuja and the Consulate General in Lagos will be closed on Monday, February 16, 2026, in observance of Presidents’ Day,” the post read.
According to the embassy, Presidents’ Day was originally established to honour the birthday of the former US President, George Washington, but has evolved into a day to celebrate all U.S. presidents and their leadership in shaping the country’s history.
The embassy noted that the holiday also recognises the influence of U.S. presidents on global affairs.
In a related message, the mission highlighted that Washington created the first “Badge of Military Merit,” which later became the Purple Heart. The medal still bears Washington’s image today.
Presidents’ Day is observed on the third Monday of February annually in the United States as a federal holiday.
News
Guterres Backs Nigeria’s Bid For UN Security Council Seat …Hails Tinubu’s Reforms, Regional Security Role
United Nations Secretary-General, António Guterres, has charged Nigeria with spearheading Africa’s quest for a restructured global order, describing the country as uniquely positioned to lead the continent toward superpower status.
Guterres, who backed Nigeria’s bid for the world body’s security council seat, also praised the economic reforms of the President Bola Tinubu-led administration as well as Nigeria’s leadership in stabilising the Sahel and ECOWAS regions, despite facing its own security challenges.
The UN scribe made the remarks last Friday night during a high-level bilateral meeting with Vice President Kashim Shettima on the sidelines of the 39th African Union (AU) Summit in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Speaking during the meeting, Guterres said Nigeria’s large population, sustained democratic governance, vast natural and human resources, and longstanding commitment to multilateralism placed it in a unique position to lead Africa in the evolving global order.
“Given Nigeria’s demographic strength, democratic continuity and deep resource base, the country stands a real chance of leading Africa to becoming the next superpower in the evolving global architecture,” he said.
The UN Secretary-General and the vice president discussed key developments in Nigeria and the country’s expanding leadership role in promoting regional stability across West Africa and the Sahel.
Guterres commended the remarkable and outstanding reforms of the administration of President Tinubu, noting that Nigeria’s bold economic restructuring and security commitments have strengthened its continental standing.
The meeting focused on strengthening Nigeria–UN collaboration to advance global economic growth, peace and security, sustainable development, and a coordinated humanitarian response across Africa.
In his remarks, Shettima thanked the UN Secretary-General for his leadership in advancing global peace, noting that Africa has benefited immensely from his tenure, even as the United Nations undergoes internal restructuring.
“We remain committed to multilateralism and to deepening our partnerships with the United Nations and other global institutions,” the vice president said.
Shettima also reiterated Nigeria’s longstanding call for comprehensive reform of the United Nations system to reflect evolving global realities.
He emphasised that Africa must have stronger representation in global decision-making structures and declared that Nigeria deserves a permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council.
Both leaders pledged to deepen cooperation, with Guterres reaffirming the UN’s support for Nigeria’s reform agenda and its growing leadership role in advancing peace, security, and development across Africa.
-
Sports3 days ago2026 WC: Nigeria, DR Congo Awaits FIFA Verdict Today
-
Politics3 days ago
ADC, PDP, LP Missing As INEC Set For By- Elections In Rivers
-
Environment3 days agoOxfam, partners celebrate 5 years of climate governance programmes in Nigeria
-
Politics3 days ago
FG’s Economic Policies Not Working – APC Chieftain
-
Politics3 days ago2027: Diri Unveils RHA LG Coordinators, APC Congress Panel
-
Politics3 days agoReps To Meet,’Morrow Over INEC’s 2027 Election Timetable
-
Politics3 days agoGroup Continues Push For Real Time Election Results Transmission
-
Sports3 days ago
Sunderland Overcome Oxford Challenge
