News
Extortion Allegations Threaten GCE Exams
Allegations of extortions by invigilators are threatening to mar the conduct of the on-going GCE examinations across the various centres especially in Port Harcourt and Obio/Akpor Local Government Areas.
The Tide investigation revealed that in most of the centres, candidates were being asked to pay five thousand naira for special seats while amount ranging from seven hundred to one thousand naira were being demanded from candidates before their answer scripts could be signed.
Investigation also revealed that a number of this fraud are allegedly being perpetrated by private schools where the examination centers are located.
At the Victory Comprehensive Secondary School, Elelenwo, some candidates accused the invigilators of asking them to pay money before their scripts can be signed.
According to a candidate who spoke under condition of anonymity, some of his colleagues scripts were not signed as a result of not being able to pay the money.
“You have to sort them before they sign your answer scripts. In fact, this is very bad,” he said.
Another candidate also explained the same situation , noting that she had already reported the incident to her parents.
At the premises of Victory Comprehensive Colleague, a man who simply gave his name as John Peters denied the allegation that the school was involved in the fraudulent activities and attributed it to jealousy.
At the office of the West African Examination Council (WAEC), Port Harcourt, the State Comptroller was not available for comments but an officer who craved anonymity said that the office would take appropriate sanction against schools involved in the act.
News
198 UNIBEN Students Bag First Class
News
Bayelsa Education Fund, British Council trains tra 1,000 teachers
News
RSG INAUGURATES ARMED FORCES REMEMBRANCE DAY COMMITTEE
The Rivers State Government has inaugurated a Central Planning Committee to organize the celebration of the 2026 Armed Forces Remembrance Day (AFRD) in the State.
The committee was formally inaugurated by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Benibo Anabraba in Port Harcourt, last Thursday.
Dr Anabraba who also serves as Chairman of the Committee
highlighted the State Government’s deep appreciation for the sacrifices of Nigeria’s fallen heroes who laid down their lives for the nation’s peace and unity.
“These heroes have given their lives for the security and peace of our nation and deserve to be celebrated. The Armed Forces Remembrance Day is an opportunity to show our gratitude for their sacrifice,” he said.
Dr. Anabraba further extended recognition to all Security Agencies in the State, emphasizing the importance of the event in appreciating their contributions to national security and sovereignty.
The annual Armed Forces Remembrance Day, observed on January 15 across the country is dedicated to remember Nigeria’s departed soldiers and honouring the nation’s veterans.
