Politics
Anambra: 96 In Court Over Electoral Offences
Ninety-six persons arrested during the February 6 governorship election in Anambra for electoral offences were on Friday arraigned before a Chief Magistrate’s court in Awka.
Lead Police Prosecutor, Mr. Adams Saleh, told Chief Magistrate Ngozi Okolonji that the suspects had planned to disrupt the election.
He said the suspects were, however, arrested by men of the Special Anti Robbery Squad on Feb. 5 at Amansea, near Awka.
All the accused persons pleaded not guilty to the charges against them. The defence counsel, Mr. Vincent Obeta, told the court that the accused were innocent, adding that they had been in detention since their arrest.
He asked for bail for the suspects which was granted in the sum of N20,000 each, with a surety residing within the jurisdiction of the court.
Many of the accused persons could not immediately get sureties.
The accused, who were paraded after the election by DIG John Ahmadu, were alleged to have attempted to hijack electoral materials.
Their arraignment was delayed till Friday due to the strike by judiciary workers which paralysed court sittings.
In another development, the Enugu State Local Government Election Petitions Tribunal has further adjourned all cases before it to April 1. All the seven petitions before it were first adjourned to March 26 to enable parties in the matter receive service. The Enugu council polls were conducted on December 5, 2009.
A further adjournment, however, became necessary when the tribunal on Friday discovered that pre-trial forms, a requirement for the cases, had not been served on the parties.
The tribunal then adjourned the next sittings to April 1, 9 and 16, to also allow for due exchange of briefs among counsel.
The tribunal also fixed April 16 for determination of whether one of the petitioners could withdraw from the suit, even before commencement of hearing.
Mr Bernard Eze, a candidate of the Progressives Peoples Alliance (PPA) for Igbo Eze South Local Government Council poll, had applied to withdraw as a petitioner in the suit.
A mild drama ensued when Eze’s counsel, Ikenna Aroh, opposed the application which was contained in a written letter to the tribunal.
But opposing counsel in the petition argued that the petitioner’s application was in order as he had the right to institute or withdraw from a suit on his own volition.
The Chairman of the three-man panel, Chinedu Ezeugwu, said the adjournment was necessary to enable the tribunal determine the matter.
Politics
Cleric Tasks APC On Internal Stability, Warns Otti
He predicted that before the next election cycle, Abia’s political landscape would witness broken alliances, surprising mergers, and new contenders emerging from within established networks.
Prophet Arogun concluded with a broader appeal to Nigeria’s political leaders, emphasizing the need for justice, peace, and integrity in public governance.
“Nigeria is the assignment. Only righteousness will stabilize this nation. Only fairness will preserve the mandate. Let those who have ears hear”, he said softly.
Politics
DEFECTION: DON’T HIDE UNDER OLD SENTIMENTS TO FIGHT DIRI – AIDE
Politics
Makarfi Resigns As PDP BoT Secretary
Senator Makarfi’s resignation comes on the heels of the national convention that saw the emergence of the new Chairman of PDP, Dr Kabiru Tanimu Turaki (SAN).
In his letter of resignation, which was addressed to the PDP BoT Chairman, Senator Adolphus Wabara, and made available to journalists in Kaduna on Monday evening, the former governor said, “Chairman and Members of the Board of Trustees may recall that about two months ago I had resigned as Secretary of the Board and posted same on the Board’s WhatsApp platform.
“Mr Chairman, you may also recall that you personally urged me to stay on until after a convention that produced a Chairman.”
He added that the principal reason he initially tendered his resignation then “and now, was and is still my belief that the National Chairman of the Party and Secretary of the Board of Trustees should not come from the same geopolitical zone.
“Now that a chairman has emerged from the North West, where I come from, it’s necessary to give him full space to do the needful. Accordingly, I hereby formally resign as Secretary of the Board of Trustees of the Peoples Democratic Party with effect from today, November 17th, 2025.”
While commending the BoT Chairman for his support during his tenure as Secretary of the Board, he stressed, “I truly appreciate the very respectful relationship between us during my period as Secretary,” adding that, “I also appreciate all Board members for their support and the good relationship that prevailed during my period as Secretary.”
Meanwhile, Dr Turaki on Monday pledged to ensure that power returns to the Nigerian people, urging the judiciary to uphold the tenets of democracy.
Dr Turaki, while giving his acceptance speech after the swearing-in of new officers at the end of the Elective Convention of the PDP in Ibadan, assured that there will be “no more impunity, no more suppression of the will of Nigerians”.
The chairman appealed to the judiciary to uphold the principles of stare decision, abiding by the decisions of the Supreme Court, and not to “willingly or unwillingly put yourselves in a situation where, rightly or wrongly, it may be assumed, correctly or incorrectly, that you are part and parcel of the process to truncate Nigerian democracy.”
According to him, the new leadership of the party would be open to listening to the yearnings of members, with a view to aligning with their will, declaring that “No more monkey dey work, baboon dey chop,” adding that “if baboon wants to chop, baboon must be seated to work.”
He noted that the PDP has maintained its original name, motto and logo, unlike the other parties that started with it, making it a recognised brand anywhere in Nigeria.
