Connect with us

Ict/Telecom

Cyber Attack: MaerskWorking On Recovery Plan

Published

on

Shipping giant A.P. Moller-Maersk, which handles one of seven containers shipped globally, said last Wednesday, that it was working on a recovery plan a day after being hit by global cyber attack Petya.
“We have contained the issue and are working on a technical recovery plan with key IT partners and global cyber security agencies.
“We have shut down a number of systems to help contain the issue,” Maersk said in a stock exchange announcement.
The company said Maersk Line vessels are maneuverable, able to communicate and crews are safe, while port unit APM Terminals has been impacted in a number of ports.
Our source reports that a major global cyber attack disrupted computers at Russia’s biggest oil company, Ukrainian banks and multinational firms with a virus similar to the ransomware that infected more than 300,000 computers last month .
The rapidly spreading cyber extortion campaign, which began on Tuesday, underscored growing concerns that businesses have failed to secure their networks from increasingly aggressive hackers, who have shown they are capable of shutting down critical infrastructure and crippling corporate and government networks.
Businesses in the Asia-Pacific region reported some disruptions on Wednesday, with the operations of several European companies hit, including India’s largest container port, although the impact on companies and governments across the wider region appeared to be limited.
The ransomware virus includes code known as “Eternal Blue”, which cyber security experts widely believe was stolen from the U.S. National Security Agency (NSA) and was also used in last month’s ransomware attack, named “WannaCry”.
“Cyber attacks can simply destroy us,” said Kevin Johnson, chief executive of cyber security firm, Secure Ideas.
“Companies are just not doing what they are supposed to do to fix the problem.”
The virus crippled computers running Microsoft Corp’s Windows by encrypting hard drives and overwriting files, then demanded 300 dollars in bitcoin payments to restore access.
No fewer than 30 victims paid into the bitcoin account associated with the attack, according to a public ledger of transactions listed on blockchain.info.
Microsoft said the virus could spread through a flaw that was patched in a security update in March.
“We are continuing to investigate and will take appropriate action to protect customers,” a spokesman for the company said, adding that Microsoft antivirus software detects and removes it.
Operations at one of the three terminals of Jawaharlal Nehru Port (JNPT) in Mumbai, India’s largest container port, were disrupted.
The impacted terminal is operated by Danish shipping giant AP Moller-Maersk which also reported disruptions in Los Angeles.
JNPT chairman Anil Diggikar told Reuters the port has been trying to clear containers manually and is operating at about a third of its capacity.

Continue Reading

Ict/Telecom

Konga Launches Tech Sales Drive In Nigeria

Published

on

As demand for connected tools continues to rise among consumers and businesses, Konga has launched a month-long technology sales campaign aimed at boosting access to digital devices and services in Nigeria.
The e-commerce platform said its “Konga Tech Month” campaign, which runs from 1 to 31 May 2026, will offer discounts of up to 50 per cent on a range of products, including smartphones, laptops, televisions, refrigerators and accessories.
The company, in a statement said the campaign was designed to address increasing demand for genuine and reliable technology products in Nigeria’s expanding digital economy, where more individuals and businesses are relying on digital tools for communication, education and productivity.
Konga said it partnered with global technology brands including Samsung, LG, ASUS, HP and Starlink for the campaign.
A key feature of the initiative is the participation of Starlink, which Konga said has designated the retailer as an authorised support centre in Nigeria. The arrangement allows customers to access in-person assistance at selected Konga retail outlets for product purchases, installation guidance and troubleshooting support.
The company said customers would also have access to special discounts on Starlink kits during parts of the campaign.
Konga added that shoppers purchasing products from the official Samsung and LG stores on its platform will benefit from free delivery, while its same-day delivery service, KongaNow, will enable faster fulfilment of urgent orders.
The company encouraged customers to use its mobile application to access app-exclusive offers, flash sales notifications and selected free shipping deals.
Konga said the campaign aligns with broader efforts to improve digital adoption in Nigeria by making technology products more affordable and accessible, adding that direct partnerships with original equipment manufacturers would help ensure customers receive authentic products while improving consumer confidence in online technology purchases.
The company described the campaign as part of its strategy to strengthen its position in Nigeria’s e-commerce and technology retail market through pricing incentives, logistics improvements and partnerships with global brands.
Continue Reading

Ict/Telecom

Telcos Explain Service Disruptions ……As Nigerians Consume 4m Terabytes Data

Published

on

Telecom operators have explained the constant disruption to telephone services in the country, blaming it on persistent fibre disruption and vandalism.
This is coming as Nigerians further prioritise data usage in the first quarter of 2026, with statistics showing that the citizens increased their consumption to four million terabytes within the period.
Chairman, Association of Licensed Telecom Operators of Nigeria (ALTON), Gbenga Adebayo, while speaking at the on a television programme, at the weekend, painted a grim picture of an industry under siege.
Adebayo revealed that the persistent issues of dropped calls and slow Internet are not due to neglect by operators but are the direct result of an “industrial nightmare” of sabotage, vandalism, and criminality.
He described telecom operators as the ‘infrastructure of infrastructures” that supports every other sector, from banking to security regretting however, that this critical backbone is cracking under the weight of constant attacks.
In a startling revelation, Adebayo exposed the disparity between the safety of international infrastructure and the vulnerability of domestic networks.
He noted that the undersea fibre optic cables in the Atlantic have suffered barely one outage in two years.
In stark contrast, the terrestrial fibre optic cable running from Lagos to Kano is cut an average of 40 times every single day.
“If you have fibre cut as many as 40 times a day across the national network, there is no way that that will not impact the quality of service,” Adebayo stated flatly.
He explained that these cuts, often caused by reckless excavation or road construction, bleed the industry dry financially and force congestion onto remaining network routes.
Recall that the Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Dr Aminu Maida, said operators suffered 1,883 fibre cuts in the first three months of the year.
Beyond fibre cuts, the ALTON chairman highlighted the rampant theft of diesel, batteries, and generators at cell sites. He cited a bizarre situation in a Lekki community — one of Nigeria’s wealthiest corridors — where residents lacked public electricity for four months but demanded flawless service.
Operators, he revealed, are often forced to pay local community groups just to transport diesel to sites under the cover of darkness.
Perhaps the most alarming revelation was the security situation facing technical staff.
Adebayo disclosed that there are vast territories in Nigeria where engineers cannot respond to faults after 6:00 p.m. due to the threat of attacks by armed vandals and non-state actors.
Despite the doom, Adebayo noted a silver lining. He said the recent 50 per cent tariff adjustment approved by the government has restored investor confidence. He confirmed that capital is finally flowing back into the sector after years of stagnation.
Adebayo who warned that money alone would not fix the problem, issued a passionate call to the government, demanding that vandalism of telecom infrastructure be treated with the same severity as crude oil theft.
In a related development, March subscription statistics from the Nigerian Communications Commission showed that Nigerians consumed more than four billion gigabytes of data in 90 days in the first quarter of 2026.
Specifically, from January to March, Nigeria recorded 4.06 million terabytes of data, the highest level since the NCC began tracking the data. The development further confirmed data as the new ‘oil’ as more Nigerians do stuff online.
Continue Reading

Ict/Telecom

Platform Petroleum Unveils ICT Hub For Niger Delta Youths

Published

on

In a move to  boost the digital education and technological empowerment in Rivers State, the Platform Petroleum Limited has inaugurated the O.B. Lulu-Briggs ICT Centre for Digital Innovations in Obonoma, Akuku-Toru Local Government Area .
The state-of-the-art facility, commissioned recently,  represents a significant intervention aimed at bridging the digital divide and expanding access to information and communication technology across riverine communities in the Niger Delta.
Commissioning the centre, former Catholic Archbishop of Abuja, John Onaiyekan, commended the initiative, describing it as a timely investment in human capital development and a catalyst for educational advancement in underserved areas.
The ICT centre equipped with over 280 interconnected computer systems, positioned it as a major hub for computer-based testing (CBT), digital training, and innovation-driven learning.
It is expected to serve residents of Akuku-Toru, Asari-Toru, and Degema local government areas, thereby reducing the need for students and job seekers to travel  to urban centres for examinations and digital services.
Chairman of Platform Petroleum Limited, Dumo Lulu-Briggs, said the project was conceived in response to the increasing demand for digital literacy in a rapidly evolving global economy.
He emphasised that the centre goes beyond infrastructure, serving as a gateway to global opportunities for young people in the region, particularly in an era shaped by artificial intelligence, automation, and technological innovation.
According to Lulu-Briggs, equipping youths with relevant digital skills remains critical to enhancing their competitiveness and enabling them to participate meaningfully in the global knowledge economy.
The facility, named after his father, Olu Benson Lulu-Briggs, forms part of the company’s corporate social responsibility initiatives targeted at promoting education, enterprise, and socio-economic development in host communities.
Beyond its CBT capabilities, the centre also features dedicated spaces for training, collaboration, and enterprise development, alongside residential and support facilities designed to enhance learning outcomes.
In his remarks, Lulu-Briggs urged host communities to take ownership of the facility by ensuring its protection and proper use, stressing that its long-term value depends on collective responsibility and commitment.
The O.B. Lulu-Briggs ICT Centre is widely regarded as a strategic investment that will not only improve access to digital education but also strengthen Rivers State’s emergence as a growing hub for technology and innovation in Nigeria.
Stakeholders at the inauguration described the project as a transformative intervention capable of narrowing the digital gap, stimulating innovation, and creating sustainable opportunities for thousands of young people across the region.
Dignitaries at the event included Vice Chairman Ojunekwu Augustine Avuru and Managing Director/CEO John Anim, as well as traditional rulers, religious leaders, community stakeholders, and youth representatives.
King Onunwor
Continue Reading

Trending