Connect with us

News

Independent Day Blasts Okah To Call 103 Witnesses From Nigeria

Published

on

Militant Leader, Henry Okah, yesterday told a Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court that he would call 103 witnesses from Nigeria to testify in his defence.

Okah is facing terrorism charges in relation to the Oct. 1, 2010 twin bomb blasts in Abuja.

Okah is slammed with charges of delivery, placement and detonation of explosives which occurred during Nigeria’s 50thIndependence Day celebrations, as well as an alternative count of conspiring with others to do so.

The prosecution, at the last adjourned date, told the court of plans to bring additional charges relating to terrorism, terror financing and possible money laundering against him in connection with the March 15, 2010 explosions in Warri, Delta State.

Okah’s counsel Rudi Krause told the court yesterday that Okah needed the witnesses to be subpoenaed to South Africa where they could testify free of intimidation.

Krause presented the list to the court.

The counsel told the court that the list he presented was a preliminary one but was brought early to give the prosecution sufficient time to prepare as Okah needed them to testify in the court.

He said the witnesses might not be able to testify freely in Nigeria, adding that at a later stage, he would provide further details of the witnesses to the court.

Krause also told the court that Okah was ready to go on trial and would not want the case delayed, adding that the conditions in which he is now being held were harsh.

He said that since cell phones were recovered in his cell in February, he had been moved to a punitive cell where he could not communicate with people and did not see sunlight.

Krause said Okah was alone in a cell which was for over 40 people, noting that his requests for medical attention had continued to be ignored by the prison authorities and his condition was progressively getting worse.

“He can’t speak to anyone, he sleeps on a concrete slab with a little mattress provided in the cell with no windows, no sunlight and his injury is getting worse,’’ the lawyer said.

Krause said he was told that a doctor who was assigned to see him had later withdrawn his services when he was told that the person he was to see was a security risk.

He urged the court to make a note on his detention warrant to indicate that he be given medical attention.

Krause also urged the court to rule that the case will no longer be adjourned at the Magistrates’ court again after the prosecution urged for more time to finish investigation and bring proof of indictment against him by August 24 ahead of the January 30, 2012 trial date.

Earlier, the prosecutor, Mr Shaun Abrahams, told the court that the state required more time to conclude its investigation as it was awaiting some information from service providers and two unnamed countries.

He said the trial date had tentatively been set for January 30, 2012 and said the state was not delaying the matter.

Abrahams also told the court that Okah had lost a bid for a leave to appeal against denial of his bail at the High Court last week and had indicated that he may approach the Supreme Court of Appeal.

He said that measures had been put in place to enable Okah to have access to medical help after the doctor earlier assigned to him withdrew.

Abrahams said the list of witnesses presented by Okah’s counsel was so long that if followed through might make the trial take up to between three and four years.

He assured that proof of indictment will be served on Okah by August 24 which was still within the nine month period from February which the prosecution promised to conclude its investigation.

Magistrate Hein Louw in his ruling, refused to rule that the adjournment for more investigation requested by the prosecution must be the final one.

He said he could not do so since they were still awaiting information from two countries which was not within their control.

Louw however said it this did not mean he would allow further adjournments for investigation as he could decide to order the prosecution to go to trial even if they claimed they were still investigating.

He said that in all likelihood, the trial would proceed on January 30, 2012.

Louw said since both parties had agreed on the issue of medical treatment, he would endorse the warrant to reflect that Okah be granted access to it.

He adjourned the case to August 24 to allow for further investigation by the prosecution and serving of proof of indictment.

The Southern Africa correspondent reports that Okah was arrested on October 2, 2010 in Johannesburg and appeared in court on October 4,2010.

He applied for bail but was denied as the South African authorities said they had a good case against him and were sure they could get a conviction even though Okah argued to the contrary.

The state during the bail application, said they had evidence of phone call and e-mail contact between Okah and suspects held in connection with the explosions in Nigeria.

Meawhile, President Goodluck Jonathan said yesterday that government would not overlook the explosions which rocked the Force Headquarters in Abuja on June 16.

Jonathan made the pledge while receiving a delegation of the family of the late Prime Minister Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, who came to commiserate with him at the State House, Abuja, over the bomb blast.

Our correspondent reports that the late Prime Minister’s family members led by Malam Yakubu Tafawa Balewa, were in the State House on a thank-you visit to the President, for naming the new Ministry of Foreign Affairs building after their father.

Jonathan said that government was taking definite steps to strengthen national security.

He said the explosion was an act of terror, which had become a global trend, but gave assurance that his administration was taking steps to ensure the safety of all Nigerians.

The President said that naming the Foreign Affairs Headquarters building after the late Prime Minister was not an accident, but “a recognition of his contributions as Nigeria’s first foreign minister’’.

He said the action was also to recognise Balewa’s contributions to the development of Nigeria as its first Premier.

On plans by the family to establish a foundation in memory of their father, Jonathan advised that they should ensure the appointment of people of integrity, who would keep the good name of the late Prime Minister alive.

He promised that the former Prime Minister’s mausoleum would be upgraded, to serve as a suitable tourist attraction for visiting foreign leaders and visitors.

Earlier, Yakubu Balewa had expressed appreciation to Jonathan, and spoke of his family’s plans to set up a foundation in memory of their father.

He said the foundation would focus on good governance and good neighbourliness.

In a related development, as Nigerians continue to condemn in its entirety the incessant bomb attack on innocent citizens, especially the latest bombing of Police Headquarters, Abuja, the Enugu State governorship candidate of the Congress For Progressive Change (CPC), in the 2011 general elections, Chief Emma Ugwu , has called on the Federal Government to as a matter of urgency probe the ugly incident with a view to bringing those behind the unholy act to book to serve as deterrent to others.

Making the call in a chat with newsmen in Enugu at the weekend, the front line politician, noted that unless drastic measures were put in place to address the worrisome development, the nation’s nascent democracy would be in a very serious jeopardy.

Chief Ugwu regretted that the bomb scare and continuous killings of innocent Nigerians in some parts of the country in no small way portend danger for the country’s march for a stable democratic rule, adding that no responsive and responsible government would fold its arms and watch the lives of its citizens threatened and wasted as it is being witnessed in the country in recent times.

Hear him: “President Goodluck Jonathan’s government should look inwards within its rank and file to find out those behind the latest bombing with a view to finding out whether members of Boko Haram have infiltrated the security network of the country. In addition, government should also find out the immediate and remote causes of the social insecurity in the country as we are yet to come out from the post election violence”.

The CPC chieftain therefore used the forum to further advise the Federal Government not allow some disgruntled elements to create unnecessary tension and panic in the country, adding that no person or group of persons is bigger or more important than the country, as the corporate interest of the nation remains paramount.

He also advised Nigerians to always emulate countries like America and Britain where politics is based on developmental issues, pointing out that national interest should take precedent over selfish and sectional interests at all times.

“If bomb could explode and kill people in the nation’s police headquarters, then, how safe is the ordinary Nigerian in other less tight security areas in the country? This is a serious issue which the authority should not hesitate to address”, he further stressed.

He, therefore, urged the entire people of Nigeria, especially the political class to close ranks and support President Jonathan in his tireless efforts to take the country to the next level.

Continue Reading

News

Rivers Govt Hails Anglican Church’s Role In Peace, Development

Published

on

The Rivers State Government has commended the Church of Nigeria (Anglican Communion) for its outstanding contributions to the development of Rivers State, particularly in the areas of peacebuilding, education, healthcare, and moral development.
Governor of Rivers State, Siminalayi Fubara, stated that the Church has remained a dependable partner in promoting peace, unity, justice, moral discipline, and social harmony across society.
The Governor, who was represented by the Secretary to the State Government, Dr. Dagogo Wokoma, made the remarks during the thanksgiving service marking the 30th Anniversary and First Session of the 11th Synod of the Diocese of Niger Delta North, held at St. Peter’s Anglican Church on Sunday.
Governor Fubara described the Synod’s theme, “Kingdom Advancement: The Priority of Every Believer,” as timely and relevant, considering the prevailing realities in society.
According to him, the Church continues to play a vital role in shaping societal values and inspiring hope among citizens.
“The Church remains a vital partner in promoting peace, unity, justice, and moral discipline. Its role in shaping values and inspiring hope cannot be overemphasized,” he stated.
The Governor further acknowledged the Anglican Communion’s contributions in education, healthcare delivery, youth empowerment, humanitarian services, and spiritual guidance across communities in Rivers State.
“The Rivers State Government appreciates the invaluable contributions of the Anglican Communion in education, healthcare, youth development, humanitarian support, and spiritual guidance. Your impact across communities in Rivers State continues to strengthen families and promote peaceful coexistence among our people,” he added.
Governor Fubara reaffirmed his administration’s commitment to building a peaceful, united, and prosperous Rivers State where all citizens can thrive irrespective of religion, ethnicity, or social background.
He also urged the Synod to continue praying for sustainable development and progress in Rivers State and Nigeria at large.
Earlier in his sermon, the Guest Minister, Joseph Olushola, spoke on the topic, “Kingdom Investment and Internal Rewards,” urging Christians to remain faithful stewards of God’s blessings and committed to advancing God’s kingdom through service and generosity.
The cleric emphasized that believers are custodians of the virtues and resources entrusted to them by God, stressing that divine rewards are based on faithfulness and impact rather than material possessions.

Continue Reading

News

Shell, MAN Back Rivers’ Drive For Expanded Gas Supply To Industries

Published

on

The Shell Nigeria Gas Limited, in partnership with the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), has reaffirmed support for efforts to expand gas distribution infrastructure in Rivers State as part of initiatives aimed at improving access to affordable, cleaner and more reliable energy for industries across the South-South region.
The commitment was highlighted during the SNG–MAN Business Forum held in Port Harcourt, where stakeholders from the industrial and public sectors examined the role of natural gas in driving industrialisation, boosting local production and strengthening energy security.
Speaking at the forum on behalf of the Managing Director of Shell Nigeria Gas Limited, the company’s Head of Gas Distribution, Mr. Chukwuka Amos Ejesi, described natural gas as a critical component of Nigeria’s energy mix and a key driver of sustainable industrial growth.
According to him, Nigeria’s gas development agenda has reached a stage where policy direction must be matched with practical implementation capable of addressing the energy challenges confronting manufacturers.
He noted that pipeline gas offers industries a cleaner, more dependable and cost-effective energy alternative capable of supporting uninterrupted operations, reducing emissions and improving production efficiency.
“Gas is the backbone of manufacturing, and we are encouraged by the growing recognition among stakeholders of the need for cleaner and more reliable energy solutions,” he said.
Ejesi stressed the need for sustained collaboration among energy providers, government institutions and industrial stakeholders to maximise the country’s gas resources for economic development.
He added that improved gas infrastructure would strengthen manufacturing value chains, enhance productivity and promote more competitive industrial operations across Rivers State and the wider South-South region.
Participants at the forum also emphasised the importance of expanding energy infrastructure as a pathway to unlocking industrial capacity, reducing operating costs and promoting sustainable industrial development.
Representing Governor Siminalayi Fubara, the Director-General of the Rivers State Investment Promotion Agency, Dr. Chamberlain Peterside, reaffirmed the state government’s commitment to partnering with private sector investors to revitalise industrial activities in the state.
He identified key projects targeted under the initiative to include the revival of the Ahoada Industrial Park, the New Port City project and the proposed Bonny Industrial Park, all aimed at stimulating economic growth and expanding industrial opportunities along the Bonny corridor.
According to the governor, the long-term vision is to position Rivers State as a leading manufacturing hub in Southern Nigeria through strategic public-private partnerships.
Governor Fubara also commended Shell Nigeria Gas and MAN for sustaining engagements geared towards improving industrial energy access, noting that gas infrastructure development remains central to the state’s economic recovery plans.
He further observed that the gas sector presents enormous opportunities for economic growth, especially as global energy systems continue to shift towards cleaner energy sources.
The governor called on stakeholders to work collectively towards developing a practical and sustainable gas framework capable of supporting the state’s industrial and energy development objectives.

By; Kevin Nengia

Continue Reading

News

Odu Charges Newlyweds To Build Marriage On Love

Published

on

Rivers State Deputy Governor, Prof. Ngozi Nma Odu, has charged newlywed couples to build their marriages on the virtues of love and submission as taught in the Word of God.
Prof. Odu gave the charge at the wedding ceremony of Amblessed Favour Sunny-Cookey and Samson Jesuganji at Lifegate Power Ministries, Dominion Cathedral, in Port Harcourt on Saturday, 16th May 2026.
The Deputy Governor congratulated the couple on beginning a new phase of life together and prayed for God’s blessings upon their union, noting that the couple had been raised by godly parents and encouraged them to uphold the Christian values instilled in them.
Referring to the sermon delivered during the ceremony, Prof. Odu emphasized that the principles of love and submission remain fundamental to a successful marriage.
According to her, genuine love reflects the nature of God, stressing that love should remain the foundation of the couple’s relationship as they journey through life together.
Prof. Odu further prayed for enduring peace, happiness, and progress in the home, expressing confidence that the marriage would continue to flourish under God’s guidance.
The Deputy Governor also commended the families of the couple for their support and upbringing, while urging the newlyweds to always remember the significance of the day and the commitment they had made before God and witnesses.
In his sermon at the wedding, the Founder and Presiding Pastor of Salvation Ministries, Pastor David Ibiyeomie, stated that marriage did not originate from Western culture, traditions, or human ideas, but from God, whom he described as the “manufacturer” of marriage.
According to the cleric, couples seeking lasting and peaceful homes must rely on biblical principles rather than societal trends or assumptions.
He explained that many marital crises and rising divorce rates stem from ignorance and failure to apply scriptural teachings in family life.
Drawing from the biblical parable of building a house on a rock, Pastor Ibiyeomie said the Word of God remains the only solid foundation capable of sustaining marriages through challenges and difficult times.
He noted that marriage naturally comes with unexpected realities and pressures, stressing that religious ceremonies or cultural practices alone are not enough to sustain a home without proper understanding of God’s instructions.
The pastor further warned that ignorance of scripture remains one of the greatest weapons against believers, urging Christians to study and practice the Word of God rather than merely attending church services.
It would be recalled that the bride is the daughter of Pastor Sunny Cookey the Founder and Presiding Pastor of Lifegate Ministries. The Ceremony had lots of Ministers in attendance which includes Apostle Zilly Aggrey, Pastor George Izunwa, and Bishop Winston Iwo

Continue Reading

Trending