Connect with us

Niger Delta

Gov Lauds Ibom Air As Inaugural Flight Lands At Bayelsa Airport

Published

on

Bayelsa State Governor, Senator Douye Diri, has commended Ibom Air for its services that have ensured the airline’s rapid growth within a short period.
Diri spoke when the airline’s inaugural flight landed at the Bayelsa International Airport.
The inaugural flight, which touched down around 4pm on Tuesday, will operate daily alongside another carrier, United Nigeria Airline (UNA).
In a statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the Bayelsa State Governor, Mr. Daniel Alabrah, Governor Diri was quoted as expressing his delight over the commencement of commercial flight operations by the airline at the airport, saying it will strengthen economic cooperation between states in the South-South region of the country, just as he noted that Ibom Air would complement the operations of UNA at the airport.
According to the governor, as the only airline operating at the Bayelsa airport, the UNA was already being overwhelmed by the patronage of passengers that are increasing daily, expressing the optimism that Bayelsans will have a good experience using the new airline.
The governor hailed the administration of his AkwaIbom State counterpart, Governor Udom Emmanuel, whom he described as a worthy leader that has showed capacity as examplified by the coming on board of Ibom Air.
Describing Governor Emmanuel as a brother, Diri called for sustenance of the brotherliness between both states.
He observed that the story of the South South region was changing from that of deprivation and underdevelopment to a developed region and called on governors of the region to forge closer ties in order to better the lot of the people.
“It gives me great joy to welcome an airline from the South-South state of AkwaIbom. The south-South has been in the discourse for years in terms of development and resource control. But our story is changing.
“Today, we do not have only one international airport as it used to be. Now we have an airport in each of the south-South states. I like to acknowledge my predecessor, who was visionary in the construction of this airport.
“What we are doing here is historic. Last year, we were here in large numbers to welcome the first commercial flight in Bayelsa and this airport was ecstatic. Today we are seeing something different. Here is a collaboration between a privately-owned company with Ibom Air.
“As a government, we will be glad to have more flights coming into Yenagoa and that is why government is visible at this event.
“Let me appreciate my brother, Governor Udom who has been in the saddle for about seven years now. He has been a good brother and one who has the capacity to lead his people and has showed it in many ways, including the establishment of Ibom Air”, Diri said.
Earlier, the Chief Operating Officer, Ibom Air, George Uriesi, said it is a new vista in the relationship between Bayelsa and AkwaIbom and promised that they will continue to deliver the top class services the airline is known for.
In a welcome address, the Commissioner for Transport, Grace Ekiotene, thanked the state government and everybody who made it possible for the inaugural commercial flight to touch down in Bayelsa, stressing that the state is open to the world.

By: AriweraIbibo-Howells, Yenagoa

Continue Reading

Niger Delta

850-bed UCTH overstretched, services 5m patients – CMD

Published

on

The Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital (UCTH), Prof. Ikpeme Ikpeme, has said the 850-bed hospital is overstretched, as it currently serves over five million patients.
He disclosed this on Friday during a media tour of the facility to showcase ongoing renovations and facelift in the hospital.
The CMD noted that, aside being the only tertiary healthcare facility servicing the state, UCTH also serviced neighbouring states of Akwa Ibom and Ebonyi.
He said the hospital also received referrals from neighbouring countries, including Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea and Central African Republic.
According to him, the 850-bed hospital faced persistent space constraints because of increasing patients inflow and expanding healthcare demands.
“This hospital currently operates 62 clinical and non-clinical departments as well as  between 30 and 38 wards covering medical, surgical, paediatric, orthopaedic and specialised services.
“Most wards have undergone facelift, remodelling, or complete renovation to improve patient care and working conditions for healthcare professionals”, he said.
He disclosed that the hospital was constructing a new 106-bed emergency medicine facility to address the rising demand for healthcare services.
According to him, the facility will include trauma bays, intensive care units, neonatal wards, and three fully equipped trauma theatres.
Speaking on the remodeled wards, Ikpeme explained that they followed modern nursing principles, allowing one nurse to attend to a maximum of 10 patients.
He said relatives would be restricted to designated waiting areas to reduce interference with medical procedures and improve emergency response efficiency.
The CMD noted that the hospital had strengthened specialist services in orthopaedics, neurosurgery, obstetrics, radiology, and minimally invasive surgery.
“UCTH now performs hip and knee replacements, arthroscopy, sports medicine, and complex brain tumour surgeries.
“Our surgeons also conduct keyhole procedures for appendectomy, hysterectomy and other conditions with faster patient recovery periods,” he said
In power, the CMD said the hospital relied on solar power from a seven-megawatt plant, constructed by the Federal Government at the University of Calabar, as well as public power supply, and generators to sustain its operations.
He appealed to governments, organisations, and philanthropists to support infrastructure expansion, equipment procurement, and specialised healthcare projects.
The CMD said the hospital required additional incubators, ward expansions, and a stand-alone amenity facility for private healthcare services.
He used the opportunity to dismiss allegations of ethnic discrimination, insisting that the hospital does not reject workers or patients based on tribe or origin.
According to him, the institution recently honoured an Igbo pioneer physician by naming a ward after him in recognition of decades of service.
The CMD said the hospital maintained strict disciplinary procedures to address negligence, poor attitude, and unethical conduct among staff.
The Tide’s source reports that some of the units visited include, intensive care unit, Department of Radiology, Urology Clinic, and Opthalmology Clinic.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

Police Burst Child Trafficking Syndicate In A’Ibom … Nab 3 Suspects

Published

on

The Police Command in Akwa Ibom State says it has busted a child trafficking syndicate and arrested three suspects for conspiracy and unlawful sale of a newborn baby in the State.
The State’s Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Timfom John, who disclosed this in a statement in Uyo on Friday, said the three female suspects were arrested on Wednesday at about 1900hrs.
She said a complainant reported that his wife gave birth to a baby boy on May 7 and shockingly, shortly after delivery sold the newborn child to one of the suspects for N145, 000.
“Upon receipt of the report, operatives immediately swung into action, leading to the arrest of the suspects and the successful recovery of the baby boy.
“The suspects reportedly confessed to the crime during interrogation, while investigation has been expanded to identify and apprehend all individuals connected to the trafficking syndicate”, John said.
She said the State’s Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, reiterated the Command’s commitment to sustaining aggressive intelligence-led policing in the state.
Continue Reading

Niger Delta

A’Ibom Launches Operation Crack Down Scrap Dealers 

Published

on

The Akwa-Ibom State Government has launched a statewide crackdown on unregistered scrap dealers and scavengers, shutting down illegal operations and arresting operators accused of violating environmental and public safety regulations.
The enforcement operation, led by the Akwa Ibom State Environmental Protection and Waste Management Agency (AKSEPWMA), followed the implementation of the state’s Waste Metal Scrap Law 2026, officials said.
AKSEPWMA Chairman, Obong Prince Ikim, said the exercise was aimed at regulating the scrap sector, protect the environment, and prevent criminal groups from operating under the guise of waste collection and metal trading.
“If you want to do scrap business, you must register,” Mr. Ikim said during the operation in Uyo, the state capital.
“Many people now hide under scrap trading to perpetrate nefarious activities”, he said.
According to him, dump site operators and scrap dealers who failed to register with the government risked closure and prosecution.
Authorities accused some operators of involvement in vandalism of public infrastructure and indiscriminate waste disposal, adding that investigations had uncovered criminal activities linked to several dump sites across the state.
“Some people vandalise government facilities in the name of scrap business and encourage indiscriminate dumping of refuse,” Mr. Ikim said.
He added that the state government and security agencies would continue efforts to enforce compliance and maintain public order.
“The Commissioner of Police has zero tolerance for criminality, and the Governor wants Akwa Ibom people to sleep with their eyes closed. We will fish out every defaulter”, he said.
Police officials involved in the operation said investigations showed that some criminal suspects used scrap yards and refuse dump sites as cover for illegal activities.
CSP Okwuzulike Vincent of the Itam Police Station said some suspects pretended to be mentally unstable while hiding ammunition and other suspicious items in makeshift shelters around dump locations.
The police officer praised the environmental agency for what he described as proactive efforts to sanitise the sector and pledged continued cooperation between law enforcement and the agency.
Officials said some first-time offenders arrested during the operation were released after profiling and signing undertakings, while repeat offenders would face prosecution.
Continue Reading

Trending